UX Models (2019-present)

Disspointed in UX interior option

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 08:08 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Disspointed in UX interior option

My wife and in are in the market for a new crossover/SUV and popped in the dealer over the weekend to look at some RX350's but noticed in the showroom they had a couple of new UX models in display one base and F-sport variants. Despite being much smaller vehicle my wife was open to looking at one. Since this was going to be her new car she doesn't care so much about speed, handling etc.. despite being a FWD car but we were able to test drive one and at initial glance of the interior it looks very nice, with various use of materials and overall seemed solid but there were allot of cheap plastics inside in the lower areas and certain buttons and touch areas that felt well not Lexus like but the deal-breaker for us both was how uncomfortable the seats were but importantly found they use a fake synthetic leather called NuLuxe. When we brought this up to our sales guy and asked him if this was real leather as the texture of the seats felt odd and didn't have that real leather smell or touch to it. He immediately said it was a new "man made leather by Lexus that is more durable" We then said is it genuine 100% leather ? He kept giving some fancy talk about this new "man made leather" then we finally got it out of him that its not real genuine leather. So we said ok fine but can we upgrade to leather as an option? To our surprise he said none of the UX models will offer real leather options and all come with this NuLuxe synthetic leather only as standard. I understand this is suppose to be Lexus "entry level" car but its sad and very cheap that they don't even offer the option to upgrade to real leather. It was very surprising the a luxury brand is going cheap and not even offering the option of leather upgrade which we are happy to pay for but just odd. We expect this from Toyota side of things but not Lexus despite it's "entry level" moniker.

Needless to say we may end up going for a RX350 Luxury package model.

First world problems? Thoughts?

Last edited by HontoKuro; 01-30-19 at 08:09 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-30-19, 08:58 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

The UX, while not my favorite vehicle in the Lexus lineup by any means, I am a bit surprised by your findings. The seats are the best aspect of the car in my opinion; very soft and supportive.

Years ago, having leather seats was a luxury item. Now, the "new" synthetic leather, or NuLuxe, is very soft and durable compared to leather seating; go look at any early CT200h with high miles and you'll be amazed at how well the seats have worn. Additionally maintenance is as easy as taking a damp towel to them.

Synthetic leather is simply the norm across most luxury brands nowadays. Go take a peek in your local Mercedes dealer and you'll find that most of their models, even common ones (i.e. GLE350) have MBTex, their take on synthetic leather.
Old 01-30-19, 09:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I had a chance to check one out the other day and was quite impressed with the interior. I liked it.

I had the Nuluxe in my IS350 and quite frankly, would take it over real leather any day. I loved that it was soft and looked good, and didn't show any wear over the 2+ years I had it.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasD94 (02-07-19)
Old 01-30-19, 10:00 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Bottom line if you are about to drop a cool $40k entry level vehicle and not having leather seats as an option was a bummer. Its sad that today all luxury brands like Mercedes (MB-TEX) and BMW (Sensa-Tec) and others have these synthetic leathers as standard now but at least they offer you the ability to upgrade unlike Lexus. Hell back then even the "entry level" luxury cars all had leather as standard upholstery. Must be a demand from tree huggers, PETA lovers and millennial's that are driving the for fake leather. Hell even Toyota Camry and Avalon top trim give you genuine leather, just disappointing that Lexus their luxury brand gives you a synthetic leather.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 01-30-19 at 10:02 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-30-19, 10:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
Bottom line if you are about to drop a cool $40k entry level vehicle and not having leather seats as an option was a bummer. Its sad that today all luxury brands like Mercedes (MB-TEX) and BMW (Sensa-Tec) and others have these synthetic leathers as standard now but at least they offer you the ability to upgrade unlike Lexus. Hell back then even the "entry level" luxury cars all had leather as standard upholstery. Must be a demand from tree huggers, PETA lovers and millennial's that are driving the for fake leather. Hell even Toyota Camry and Avalon top trim give you genuine leather, just disappointing that Lexus their luxury brand gives you a synthetic leather.
I felt the same way until I owned it. I was disappointed when I got my IS that I couldn't get real leather (unless I went with the super rare luxury package which is, by the way, no longer available). But I went with it. So I can guarantee you I am not a tree hugger, PETA lover, or millennial, but I love the NuLuxe based on experience. I think what is really driving it is that I am sure it is less expensive than genuine leather.

The RX is a fantastic choice, though. I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 01-30-19, 01:53 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^ Same. Love and would choose Nuluxe any day as it is more durable, creases far less, and is much easier to maintain. Speaking from ownership experience with multiple Lexus vehicles with both Nuluxe and leather.

Nuluxe: CT, IS, NX.
Leather, RXs, IS, RC F.

RX of course is a great choice and we're enjoying ours trouble-free.
Old 01-31-19, 09:42 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

I searched all the NuLuxe pages here including all model pages within this forum and it seems it's a very mixed bag and most owners are split on this. Sure they may be easier to clean and maintain but genuine leather has the feel and texture that NuLuxe simply doesn't replicate and when properly maintained can have many great years and simply look natural compared to NuLuxe not to mention resale value. Like I said we won't be pursuing this UX any longer and don't want to come across as snobby or condescending but I would rather pay the extra money for leather and wish Lexus would at least give the option to upgrade. We really liked the new design and look of the UX and despite it's small size would have being on top of the list to buy but the fake leather was a deal breaker for my wife. Maybe in future models they may begin to offer this option but for now think Lexus made a mistake by not offering it.
Old 01-31-19, 09:56 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I searched all the NuLuxe pages here including all model pages within this forum and it seems it's a very mixed bag and most owners are split on this. Sure they may be easier to clean and maintain but genuine leather has the feel and texture that NuLuxe simply doesn't replicate and when properly maintained can have many great years and simply look natural compared to NuLuxe not to mention resale value. Like I said we won't be pursuing this UX any longer and don't want to come across as snobby or condescending but I would rather pay the extra money for leather and wish Lexus would at least give the option to upgrade. We really liked the new design and look of the UX and despite it's small size would have being on top of the list to buy but the fake leather was a deal breaker for my wife. Maybe in future models they may begin to offer this option but for now think Lexus made a mistake by not offering it.
No worries and not snobby at all. It's your money and if you want leather, you should get something with leather. I just wanted to give you my feedback on NuLuxe. Good luck!
Old 01-31-19, 10:37 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

I'm not sure if you've ever noticed this but hopefully this will make you feel otherwise about NuLuxe. In your GS, the seats and steering wheel are leather, but all that beautiful "leather" covering the top of the dash and the door panels isn't real leather and is NuLuxe. I would have never known the difference if you didn't tell me. I've always been impressed with the NuLuxe seating surfaces. Lexus makes some of the best faux leather in the business. If you ever take a look at Mercedes' "MB Tex" which is their fake leather, you'd know it in a heartbeat.

NuLuxe won't ever be able to replicate genuine leather, but it comes pretty damn close & will wear 10x better than leather could ever dream of with essentially no maintenance required. Sucks that you'd let something like this be the deciding factor but it's your money & you can do with it as you please after all.

As time goes on, we'll begin seeing less and less genuine leather in cars and more alternative materials, fabrics, patterns, etc. as less surfaces will be adorned with it as the auto industry is moving away from the ancient ideal that leather = luxury.
ThomasGS4 (01-31-19)
Old 01-31-19, 10:52 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I have 2017 RX350 with leather. And 2016 NX with nuluxe. Few if any creases with nuluxe. RX already looks 5 years old with leather seats. Go Nuluxe.
signdetres (01-31-19)
Old 01-31-19, 12:06 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by signdetres
I'm not sure if you've ever noticed this but hopefully this will make you feel otherwise about NuLuxe. In your GS, the seats and steering wheel are leather, but all that beautiful "leather" covering the top of the dash and the door panels isn't real leather and is NuLuxe.
Yes, I knew that when I was cross shopping my GS and knew those surfaces weren't real and you can tell the difference at touch. In fact the arm rests, door panels and dash feel and look very synthetic compared to the seating and main touch areas. I think the NuLuxe is more noticeable with the different color option combo interiors I've seen and can definitely tell the difference vs say black interiors. They have this shine and vinyl look to them. Ok I think we beat this one to death but appreciate the comments and feedback, good to hear owners of NuLuxe and your thoughts based on your own experiences. I guess that is why there is Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry flavors right?
Old 01-31-19, 05:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

My wife and in are in the market for a new crossover/SUV and popped in the dealer over the weekend to look at some RX350's but noticed in the showroom they had a couple of new UX models in display one base and F-sport variants. Despite being much smaller vehicle my wife was open to looking at one. Since this was going to be her new car she doesn't care so much about speed, handling etc.. despite being a FWD car but we were able to test drive one and at initial glance of the interior it looks very nice, with various use of materials and overall seemed solid but there were allot of cheap plastics inside in the lower areas and certain buttons and touch areas that felt well not Lexus like but the deal-breaker for us both was how uncomfortable the seats were but importantly found they use a fake synthetic leather called NuLuxe. When we brought this up to our sales guy and asked him if this was real leather as the texture of the seats felt odd and didn't have that real leather smell or touch to it. He immediately said it was a new "man made leather by Lexus that is more durable" We then said is it genuine 100% leather ? He kept giving some fancy talk about this new "man made leather" then we finally got it out of him that its not real genuine leather. So we said ok fine but can we upgrade to leather as an option? To our surprise he said none of the UX models will offer real leather options and all come with this NuLuxe synthetic leather only as standard. I understand this is suppose to be Lexus "entry level" car but its sad and very cheap that they don't even offer the option to upgrade to real leather. It was very surprising the a luxury brand is going cheap and not even offering the option of leather upgrade which we are happy to pay for but just odd. We expect this from Toyota side of things but not Lexus despite it's "entry level" moniker.

Needless to say we may end up going for a RX350 Luxury package model.

First world problems? Thoughts?
If you look at other vehicles the UX competes with, they have synthetic leather too. No surprise the RX is nicer inside, its a much more expensive vehicle.
Old 01-31-19, 06:07 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

I am a bit surprised Lexus doesn't offer leather at all on the UX. Not surprised Nuluxe is available of course.

That said, and I know it's different from person to person, I'll take cloth any day.

Jeff
Old 01-31-19, 06:36 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If you look at other vehicles the UX competes with, they have synthetic leather too.
That's not all true, we looked at direct competitors like the Volvo XC40, Benx GLA 250 and Audi Q3, direct competitors to the UX all offer or have leather as option.
Old 02-01-19, 11:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

That's not all true, we looked at direct competitors like the Volvo XC40, Benx GLA 250 and Audi Q3, direct competitors to the UX all offer or have leather as option.
Those leather optioned cars are pretty rare though, and those cars spec'ed out are more money than the UX.

Quick Reply: Disspointed in UX interior option