Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Nokian R2 vs Blizzak WS80 : deep snow performance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-17, 09:03 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nokian R2 vs Blizzak WS80 : deep snow performance?

Hi all,

Had the WS80's for 3 winters and it's time to change. I'm considering the Nokian R2's but I don't know how they compare in deep snow. That's the most important factor for me because I drive a RWD in tough winter conditions sometimes. Google couldn't help.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-09-17, 09:54 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Hi all,

Had the WS80's for 3 winters and it's time to change. I'm considering the Nokian R2's but I don't know how they compare in deep snow. That's the most important factor for me because I drive a RWD in tough winter conditions sometimes. Google couldn't help.

Any thoughts?
If you're considering Nokian tires. Get the Hakkapeliitta 9 studded or Normand 7.
Old 11-19-17, 08:40 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 91 Posts

Here's a video I took with the first snow fall and icy roads, I'll try to get more videos once we get a lot more snow.

Old 02-19-18, 11:23 AM
Seppo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had R2 Hakkas on two cars, BMW and Lexus. I think their deep snow performance is quite good, and their less-deep snow, ice, and dry road performance is excellent. The WS-80 might have an edge in deep snow performance during their first 10,000km of tread life, but not thereafter. Blizzaks are very good in deep snow at first, but decline in capability pretty sharply as they get worn down.

I have fewer days of deep snow driving than I do of shallow snow, ice and snow, freezing rain, and slush, and R2 is just excellent for my purposes. I have had AWD on both cars and no problems in normal deep snow, until ground clearance becomes the limiting factor.
Old 04-29-18, 04:12 AM
quidmaker
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool WS-80 or R2?

My Input may be worthless because I do not have experience with either tire. But I do have experience with BOTH brands.
First off, years ago, I had the WS-50s (I think) on a 4WD Nissan Van, here in Japan. Those tires would climb a tree!!! It did not matter icy roads, lightly packed snow or heavy deep snow. On dry roads, I do remember road noise (expected) and squirmy feeling. Fast forward about 3 years, I had to sell the van because that model year Diesel engine, became outlawed for my area, for some poorly understood reason. Next car, a new, Nissan van.....Tire Rack suggested and gave me a great deal on Nokian Hakkapeliitta Q tires. I wanted Blizzaks but the salesman told me the 'Qs' were just as good if not better, AND they would easily last 4-6 seasons where the Blizzaks would not. I gave them a try and OMG.....They blew the Blizzaks away! Fast forward again, 7 years, the Q's seemed to be barely worn!!!! But, I bought yet another, newer model, Nissan 4WD van. Tire rack did not sell Nokians anymore, which I wanted but I had heard a bunch of noise about how good the Michelin Xice 3 tires were, and I ordered them. 6 years later, even though the tread was still in outstanding condition, those tires SUCKED from the gitgo. I should have reverted to Nokian or even the Blizzaks but as luck would have it, there was no need....the entire time I had the car, we never went snow skiing. But the little bit of snow/ice and slush we have every year, the just could not hold a candle to either the Nokian or the Blizzak tires. Now, fast forward again....I just bought a 2018 Lexus RX450h F-Sport. I have wanted to put Nokians (Was waiting for the R3s) since I first heard about them....Nokian would not assist in helping me find that tire that they told me was available since this month (April 2018) in North America. I would have paid way too much money to find the R3s and have them FedEx'd but I just could not find them. So, I went to Tire Rack and bought the Blizzak DM-V2 tires at I think, is a good price. The only reason I did this is because my best friend in Japan lives in Northern Japan (Hokkaido), with tons of snow and lots of mountains, has the same car and those DM-V2 tires. I have ridden in that car with those tires and I feel confident they will serve me well and the road noise was minimal. the tread design of the WS-80s leads me to believe there will be noise on dry roads and I just could not wait to get the Nokians.....I'm too impatient. Maybe in a few years, I will give them a try, again.
What is the point I'm trying to make???? For long lasting and excellent tire, I'd go with the Nokians R3 just because of the reviews on the R2s.but know that you just cannot go wrong with the Blizzak WS-80s either....except they probably will not last as long.
I hope I was able to give some insight and provoke some thought and please forgive me for not being able to provide direct feed back from the original tires in question.