Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

rotors only

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-17, 11:30 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default rotors only

so over the past year, I had had to have my rotors turned twice once when I replaced the pads a year ago, and then it was about six months down the road the rotors wore again, so I had front break vibrations and shakes
I then had them turned again, and now they are bad five months latter.

So I think its at the point possibly where its just that they have been turned to much and they just keep getting weaker and this is why the vibration keeps coming back.
I have 7-8 mm left on my pads, and I would hate to have to waste money and buy new pads also
I currently have my Akebono proact pads which are like 100 dollar pads I only paid like 40 bucks for them but still don't want to waste money.

I am going to replace just the rotors getting OE style replacement from EBC brake rotors but
iwillIrun into problems using my current pads ?
are the pads what probably keep hvaing my rotors go since i had the rotors turned but cintinued to use the pads that where already used on the worn rotors ?
Old 06-14-17, 12:52 PM
GetUrWheel
Former Sponsor

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

get the new rotors. do proper brake bed in procedure.

I personally try to stay away from turning / resurfacing rotors.

Last edited by GetUrWheel; 06-14-17 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-14-17, 07:57 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GetUrWheel
get the new rotors. do proper brake bed in procedure.

I personally try to stay away from turning / resurfacing rotors.
I don't think that turning or resurfacing rotors once or twice is a problem, but with my experience I would not do it more than twice again these current rotors are the same rotors originally on the car when I bought it with 40k on it now they have 176k I think I have turned them to many times
this is why I am going to get new rotors.
But i just want to make sure that its going to be ok putting the new Rotors on with the old pads because the old pads are in really great shape with like 8mm left on them I don't want to throw away pads and waste money if I don't have to so using new rotors on the old pads are fine ?