Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

2003 LS430 Wheels - Hub Bore Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 12:10 PM
enigma25
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2003 LS430 Wheels - Hub Bore Question

Good Afternoon,

I have a 2003 Lexus LS430 with 58,000 original miles. It is a base model, no air suspension.

My understanding is that the hub bore on my car is 60.1 and the wheels I plan to install are OZ Ultraleggara 18x8, with a center bore of 75. Where can I source hub centric mounting rings to properly install these wheels on my car?

Thank you,

Rick
Old 04-12-17, 11:19 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get them from Discount Tire. They're $5 for a set.
The following users liked this post:
enigma25 (04-12-17)
Old 04-12-17, 03:46 PM
enigma25
Rookie

I've seen both plastic and aluminum. I'm thinking that aluminum is the way to go. I also need some wheel locks since these wheels are very expensive. I see Gorilla brand wheel locks all over the place. I'm sure they would work just fine, and if someone wants the rims, no wheel lock will stop them. What type of locks are people using? I'd welcome any input. I can't wait to install these wheels, paint my calipers and install my drilled rotors and ceramic pads. I have a plan and a look I'm shooting for, and I enjoy watching it slowly take shape!!
Old 04-12-17, 08:22 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

A lot of opinions you probably don't want to hear following but if you're bored keep reading.

These hub rings aren't loading bearing so plastic is fine. They just center the wheel. If thats what you were worried about, I wouldn't. The car's weight is carried on the studs.

I strongly recommend against wheel locks. They don't work; you can usually remove them by just pounding a socket over the lock. Any wheel thief will have a full set of locking lug nut keys. Also the keys always get lost. It never fails. Worst case scenario is you lose the key and a mechanic rounds the lock off trying to remove it and you end up having to cut through the wheel. If you want to protect your wheels, I'd recommend a car alarm with a tilt sensor. Gorilla lugs themselves aren't a bad idea actually and have some advantages.

I like painted calipers. I've done it before and it looked really nice. You just need to use the proper caliper paint. I'd once again recommend against the drilled or slotted rotors. They can't be turned so the next time you need to change pads, they just go in the garbage whereas you can usually turn a rotor for $10 each. They don't help you stop faster either. In fact they actually remove mass and surface area from your rotors so without a corresponding increase in rotor diameter, you are effectively losing stopping power. Its your money though and there's nothing technically wrong with them.
Old 04-12-17, 08:29 PM
Twidge
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

i actually have 60.1 to 75mm aluminum hub centric rings if you're interested.
The following users liked this post:
enigma25 (04-12-17)
Old 04-12-17, 08:34 PM
enigma25
Rookie

Originally Posted by Twidge
i actually have 60.1 to 75mm aluminum hub centric rings if you're interested.
shoot me your paypal account and your price. I'll pay you now. Thank you!!!
Old 04-13-17, 09:05 PM
enigma25
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mandrake
A lot of opinions you probably don't want to hear following but if you're bored keep reading.

These hub rings aren't loading bearing so plastic is fine. They just center the wheel. If thats what you were worried about, I wouldn't. The car's weight is carried on the studs.

I strongly recommend against wheel locks. They don't work; you can usually remove them by just pounding a socket over the lock. Any wheel thief will have a full set of locking lug nut keys. Also the keys always get lost. It never fails. Worst case scenario is you lose the key and a mechanic rounds the lock off trying to remove it and you end up having to cut through the wheel. If you want to protect your wheels, I'd recommend a car alarm with a tilt sensor. Gorilla lugs themselves aren't a bad idea actually and have some advantages.

I like painted calipers. I've done it before and it looked really nice. You just need to use the proper caliper paint. I'd once again recommend against the drilled or slotted rotors. They can't be turned so the next time you need to change pads, they just go in the garbage whereas you can usually turn a rotor for $10 each. They don't help you stop faster either. In fact they actually remove mass and surface area from your rotors so without a corresponding increase in rotor diameter, you are effectively losing stopping power. Its your money though and there's nothing technically wrong with them.
Thanks for your comments and suggestions! I really appreciate your input.

Given your thoughts on wheel locks makes sense, and I will forgoe the wheel locks altogether.

I also have have painted a few sets of brake calipers in my time, and I am comfortable with the process. I'm going with a simple, silver color for a clean appearance.

Your thoughts on drilled rotors are are somewhat valid but my experience with them has never caused me any issues and I am an assertive driver. A little background on me; I have been a Porsche owner and PCA member for 25 years and have had drilled rotors on everything from 911's to a 944 Turbo. I have also owned more sport bikes than I can count including several Ducati's with fully floating, drilled, cast iron Brembo rotors and calipers. I'm 50 years old and I've more than enough experience with high performance cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. and I never had a problem with brakes related to the configuration of the rotors. Many of your points are valid and legitimate issues; I've just never experienced any of them myself. I don't turn my rotors if they are warped, I just replace them. But I have not had many warped rotors over the years. I like the feel of drilled rotors and the fade resistance when punishing them on back roads or a club track day..
i have always been a believer in the idea that you get what you pay for and I have never cut corners on tires, wheels, helmets, safety gear and brakes. I've never had a bad experience with my choice of brake systems, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to make a change.
High qualify safety gear saved my life 17 years ago, so I welcome differing viewpoints as I see it as a way to learn from others experiences and broaden my knowledge base. If we all agreed on everything related to our cars and motorsports, it would get very boring, very quickly..
Thanks again for your input! I really appreciate it!

Best,

Rick (enigma25)

Last edited by enigma25; 04-13-17 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-14-17, 06:58 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Hey Rick thanks for the reply. Actually I didn't realize we were talking about taking this setup on the track. You don't get that super often on the ClubLexus forums but if you're a PCA member for 25 years I understand you have some track experience. I've actually only had my driver's license since 2003 so you've been racing longer than I've been driving. I kind of assumed you were a teenager or young adult based on the brake caliper painting and drilled rotor thing. Thats good to hear that you're thinking of safety and not just looks.