Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Continental ExtremeContact DWS vs ? Southern Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 09:13 AM
nqh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Continental ExtremeContact DWS vs ? Southern Ontario

Hello.

I'm currently using the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE030 on my Canadian 2008 IS250 RWD 6MT Base. Base model comes with 16 x7JJ rims and 205/55/16 tires. I'm located in Southern Ontario, about 40 miles from Toronto. We do get snow here, but generally not several feet at a time.

The tires have around 40,000 km with 4/32 left but one of the tires has a damaged sidewall, perhaps due to running it flat. As a result, I need new tires soon. I'd like to stay with the stock rims.

Option 1: Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I thought I might get these soon, use them for my first winter while they are fresh and then get snows the following year.

Option 2: Option 1 + Used snows and rims this year.

Option 3: Summer tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE760) + Used snows and rims this year.

Option 4: Try and squeak through until winter on the RE030s, Used snows and rims come November and Summer or All Seasons come Fall.

What do I give up by going to the DWS All Season vs Summer Tires. For a fairly calm driver will I notice a difference?

I'm leaning towards Option 1 for finance reasons. The DWS should be long lasting, have lots of tread for the first winter and offer very good tread life.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

nqh
Old 07-31-10, 02:51 PM
Sltwtrking
Driver

Winter tires are the safest option. As temperaturers drop below 45 degrees F the rubber compound in all-season tires will become hard and rigid unlike winters tires which stay pliable in cold weather.

If I was in your postition I would purchase snow tires for the factory wheels and only run them during the winter months. Then I would purchase a set of after market summer wheels and tires for the summer months.
Old 07-31-10, 05:27 PM
nqh
Driver School Candidate

Default Winter Tires would be best. Summer Rims and Tires will be expensive later.

Originally Posted by Sltwtrking
Winter tires are the safest option. As temperaturers drop below 45 degrees F the rubber compound in all-season tires will become hard and rigid unlike winters tires which stay pliable in cold weather.

If I was in your postition I would purchase snow tires for the factory wheels and only run them during the winter months. Then I would purchase a set of after market summer wheels and tires for the summer months.
Hi Sltwtrking.

I agree Winter Tires would be best. If buy just tires now and run my current summers until end of season (November). That would also conserve cash flow.

I just did a quick look for tires in my area on Craigslist and have inquired about a set of winters not a rims. There are also several on rims. XIce or Blizzak with one season.

I wonder if I would have any luck finding stock 17" or 18" for an IS250/350 in the Toronto area. I suppose I can always post in the Buy/Sell forums and ask.

Thanks for your advice.

nqh.
Old 08-01-10, 01:22 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

set aside some money and get snow tires in oct/nov. get new tires now if you can, if not just squeak by on your old ones.