Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Intro Forged Wheels (I-FORGED)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-03, 11:49 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intro Forged Wheels (I-FORGED)

Fellas:

I have seen pics of these wheels on CL and other places before but never in person until yesterday @ the NHRA event @ E-Town Raceway Park.

I must say these are very very hot wheels and the quality looks very very good.

I know they are pricy but seem to be every bit the quality of HRE.

The 3-piece look is the best IMO.

I am giving them strong consideration.

Is there much of a difference in looks b/w high Polsih with CLear and Chrome? I'm looking for really shiny wheels and wondering if its worth the extra $$ for chrome over high polish with clear. how about maintenance?

Ted
Old 10-06-03, 01:08 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ted, there is a HUGE difference between Hi Polished and chrome. First, appearance, chrome has a much brigther, deeper luster, its also less "grainy" (fine lines) in its appearance. Second, chrome is easier to maintain, with a USA chromed wheel, u can just clean it with soap and water and wipe with a rag and maybe wax once every other month to get maximum bling. With hi polish, u will have to wax the rims A lot more to keep them shined up. Look at a chrome Zauber, if u compare the chrome face, and hi polished lip u will be able to see the clear difference.

For ease of care, durability, and shine u can't beat USA chrome. I have JDM chrome, which is somewhere in the middle. I can't use regular wax (makes them hazy) I use Meguairs quick wax to shine them up and that works out well.

I got the polished vs chrome perspective from experience, bluelex, and Wheels Boutique BTW
Old 10-06-03, 06:29 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Ted, there is a HUGE difference between Hi Polished and chrome. First, appearance, chrome has a much brigther, deeper luster, its also less "grainy" (fine lines) in its appearance. Second, chrome is easier to maintain, with a USA chromed wheel, u can just clean it with soap and water and wipe with a rag and maybe wax once every other month to get maximum bling. With hi polish, u will have to wax the rims A lot more to keep them shined up. Look at a chrome Zauber, if u compare the chrome face, and hi polished lip u will be able to see the clear difference.

For ease of care, durability, and shine u can't beat USA chrome. I have JDM chrome, which is somewhere in the middle. I can't use regular wax (makes them hazy) I use Meguairs quick wax to shine them up and that works out well.

I got the polished vs chrome perspective from experience, bluelex, and Wheels Boutique BTW
Hey this may sound like a newbie question, what is the difference between reg japan chrome and superchrome offered on work wheels? Also, people give me conflicting opinions on which is better (in terms of gloss/shine) US chrome or Japanese Superchrome? I just love the chrome on lowenharts, like a deep dark chrome.
Old 10-06-03, 06:44 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Superchrome and JDM chrome are the same, my Dronells are Superchrome. The difference is the process that the chrome is applied.

USA chrome is applied in a staged process that includes stripping the finish, applying nickel coating, and then some other metallic agents that allow the chrome to STICK to the wheel. I believe this "plating" process is what makes USA chrome so durable.

JDM chrome, on the other had is actually sprayed, or painted on, if you scratch a JDM wheel, it will be black underneath (I guess the black is the agent they use). The JDM chrome has a thicker appearance (think paint vs powdercoat), and it requires a certain type of maintenence (i'll elaborate later). It also displays a slight rainbow sheen from certain angles.

Example, when I clean my wheels I cant just wipe them dry with towel, if I do I will have a MILLION hairline scratches. No one can see this unless they are 3inches from my wheel, but they drive me CRAZY. I use a giant sponge with carwash soap to clean my wheels while I wash the car. I soap it up once for each side. Then I rinse while I rinse the car. I drive up the block and back to get the excess water off the car and out of the nuts/spokes of the wheel. Then I use 2 microfiber towels and Meguiars Quick Wax, Lightly Mist the wheel, 1 towel to wipe the Wax on, 1 towel to buff!

I think USA chrome has a deeper luster than JDM, not miles better maybe a 10 vs 8.5 or 9.

I know my cleaning process sounds obsessive, but its what I have to do to get this:

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 10-06-03 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-06-03, 07:06 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

geeez, i couldn't agree with more "D"... its miles away when placed next 2 each other....my wheels r chrome with pliched lips and a pain 2 clean as well..u could tell when u look what is chrome and what is not...when i was going 2 chrome my srt intake and heatsield ,i was going 2 leave my RMM strut bar polished 2 save money but the guy was like u'r carzy look at the difference and when he did all 3 pieces 4 me i noticed what he was talking about..... and ya polish is a pain 2 clean u get all type of hairline scratches. u have 2 b vey vareful cleaning them... 2 much labor imo.. the chrome honestly u could use just windex and a rag and it will shine like a new baby butt... go 2 a shop and look at the 2 and u will c .....plus the xtra labor 2 keep polish looking nice isn't worth saving some xtra bucks...good luck with u'r decision...
Old 10-07-03, 07:25 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Many thanks for the feedback D and bluelex - its greatly appreciated. When I'm reayd to get my wheels over the next few months, I'm definately going chrome. I find that its about $100 per wheel more.

USA chrome is 3 step process: copper, nickel and then chrome.

And as I said in my initial post - I-Forged are really really nice.

I strongly encourage CL memebers to consider them.

Ted
Old 10-07-03, 08:26 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

USA chrome is 3 step process: copper, nickel and then chrome.
I knew it was something like that, I think when people say "Triple Chrome" it is really referring to the 3step process!

Good choice on the I-Forged, I was also considering them for my next set of wheels (will be a while). I was considering the options between 2pc and 3pc, et cetera. I got some really good info from Manaray, ie, if you damage a 2pc version, you cannot disassemble it yourself, you have to send it to iForged and let them do it, etc etc.

If you want me to send you more info, let me know.

What model did you choose?
Old 10-07-03, 08:49 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

its a 3 step process "D" but their still is a amount of dips they do, this i know 4 sure, the guy was showing trplie dip which is what i wen with and than he showed me 5 dip.....the difference was minimal but its all in the durability, triple dip chrome he said would last about 2 to 5 years at best and that 5 dip chrome wouls last 10 to 20 years but he wanted way 2 much 4 5 dip...
Old 10-07-03, 08:55 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by bluelex
its a 3 step process "D" but their still is a amount of dips they do, this i know 4 sure, the guy was showing trplie dip which is what i wen with and than he showed me 5 dip.....
Oh, I see said the blind man to his deaf wife!!

You learn something new everyday! I guess I see where USA chrome could weigh more than a silver or machined finish, that is Copper, Nickel, and 3 layers of chrome applied!!
Old 10-07-03, 12:16 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

D;

I'd appreciate the info you have - thanks.

Its probably around 75% chance that I'll go with I-Forged.

I think it'll be the 6 spoke model.

Peace,

Ted
Old 10-07-03, 12:21 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by ted920
D;

Ted

Check your PM!
Old 10-07-03, 03:24 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ted920
D;

Its probably around 75% chance that I'll go with I-Forged.

I think it'll be the 6 spoke model.

Peace,

Ted
The six spoke model, that is the one that looks like the HRE 546 right? If so, that looks awesome! Very sporty yet very aggressive. I am stuck between the L-sport Model 1 evo or the HRE 546R in chrome of course. But the I-Forged looks very inviting. I am holding off till early next year cuz winter is coming and the stockies are going back on.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 10-07-03, 03:35 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Superchrome and JDM chrome are the same, my Dronells are Superchrome. The difference is the process that the chrome is applied.

USA chrome is applied in a staged process that includes stripping the finish, applying nickel coating, and then some other metallic agents that allow the chrome to STICK to the wheel. I believe this "plating" process is what makes USA chrome so durable.

JDM chrome, on the other had is actually sprayed, or painted on, if you scratch a JDM wheel, it will be black underneath (I guess the black is the agent they use). The JDM chrome has a thicker appearance (think paint vs powdercoat), and it requires a certain type of maintenence (i'll elaborate later). It also displays a slight rainbow sheen from certain angles.

Example, when I clean my wheels I cant just wipe them dry with towel, if I do I will have a MILLION hairline scratches. No one can see this unless they are 3inches from my wheel, but they drive me CRAZY. I use a giant sponge with carwash soap to clean my wheels while I wash the car. I soap it up once for each side. Then I rinse while I rinse the car. I drive up the block and back to get the excess water off the car and out of the nuts/spokes of the wheel. Then I use 2 microfiber towels and Meguiars Quick Wax, Lightly Mist the wheel, 1 towel to wipe the Wax on, 1 towel to buff!

I think USA chrome has a deeper luster than JDM, not miles better maybe a 10 vs 8.5 or 9.

I know my cleaning process sounds obsessive, but its what I have to do to get this:

Thanks for the feedback, I am like you, very meticulous, maybe even more ! Now another newbie question (bare with me), the perfromance shops around my way always like japanese chrome better. Now, to be frank, the only chrome wheels that I see in real life are giovanna's, lexani's etc.. those types of wheels. Not really up to par with HRE, Work, so the shops like Japanese chrome better (like lowenharts) is because it gives off a "black" like chrome shine. Since I've never actually seen HRE upclose long enough to observe the wheel, does HRE chrome option give off that "black" shine that lowenhart(japanese) rims have? I am interpreting from what I read is USA and Japan chrome have totally different steps of how they put chrome on the wheels, but I love the way Japanese chrome "shine". A different type of shine, and I would like to know if HRE has similiar "kind" of shine? I know I am getting to the nitty gritty part of this topic, but before I shell out $5-$6g's, I want to know .
Old 10-07-03, 07:50 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

As far as color, i dont notice a black chrome look on my wheel, the only reason the lip in the above picture has that dark appearance is because it was reflecting the inside of the fender. One positive aspect of JDM chrome is weight, my wheels are very light.

Cant speak on the color thing though.
Old 10-07-03, 11:44 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

As far as color, i dont notice a black chrome look on my wheel, the only reason the lip in the above picture has that dark appearance is because it was reflecting the inside of the fender. One positive aspect of JDM chrome is weight, my wheels are very light.

Cant speak on the color thing though.
Wasup Wasup

D..... the wheels you got (dronell's) are JDM Superchrome, meaning they are Painted Chrome.... atleast thats what Dronell Does to their wheels and calls them superchrome... thats why you see those hairline scratches and sumtimes a rainbow effect in the chrome if you accidently use the wrong type of soap/wax i dunno if all jdm super chrome is painted, but i know for a fact dronell's is that way, its much easier to rechrome/repaint, all you do is send it into dronell and they take care of it.....

i had the same wheels on my GS..... those 20's were Hott and got more attention then Pamela Anderson did with out her Top....

Quick Reply: Intro Forged Wheels (I-FORGED)