Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

can someone help me out?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-03, 11:38 PM
Mullet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone help me out?????

ok my brakes started to squeek so i took it to have the brake pads replaced.......... now its like two days later and they still squeek. could this be b/c of my aftermarket rims or is there another reason? I'm totally confused... Any ideas????????????????
Old 10-02-03, 05:32 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Give it some time for your new pads to settle in since it's only 2 days. Consider hard braking on the highway to break those pads in. If they still squeak after say a week, have your rotors checked for resurfacing.
Old 10-02-03, 09:32 AM
mtsao
Driver

Brake noise is most commonly associated with vibration, believe it or not. Stock pads usually come with various shims and a packet of brake grease to help the pads back off the rotor more smoothly.

First, I would check to see that the noise only happens when you apply the brakes. If it happens all the time, then you have other problems. Once you've determined that it only happens when you brake, then you can be pretty sure that it's the vibration that's causing the noise. If this is the case, I doubt that it will go away on its own, unfortunately. I mean, i hope it does for you, but it hasn't when I've run into it, or at least not soon enough for my taste--nothing quite like pulling up in a squealing Lexus. Anyhow, I would suggest you take it back to the shop and tell them to spray some anti-squeal. It comes in a can from WalMart or auto parts store and it creates a nice cushiony backing between the pack of the brake pad and/or shims/piston. Or you can do it yourself if you're so inclined.

Hope this help.
Mike
Old 10-02-03, 10:06 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mtsao
Anyhow, I would suggest you take it back to the shop and tell them to spray some anti-squeal. It comes in a can from WalMart or auto parts store and it creates a nice cushiony backing between the pack of the brake pad and/or shims/piston. Or you can do it yourself if you're so inclined.
Isn't that more of a temporary solution? I tend to think this is more like installing those anti-squeak shims in the brake assemblies, and there comes a time when the shims become no good. Just a thought.
Old 10-02-03, 10:37 AM
mtsao
Driver

Originally posted by lexusk8
Isn't that more of a temporary solution? I tend to think this is more like installing those anti-squeak shims in the brake assemblies, and there comes a time when the shims become no good. Just a thought.
lexusk8, in fact, it's not a temporary solution. Think back to the last time you had your brakes done at the dealer--did your brakes make noise? I would hope not. You seem to look down at the shim assemblies--did you have a bad experience with them? You are quite right though, the shim assemblies do lose effectiveness over time--just like most everything else. However, my experience with Japanese imports has been that when you buy original factory pads, they come with the shims so they can be replaced as well. They are also available for purchase separately. At any rate, the main purpose of the shims is to reduce vibration that would cause brake noise, and spraying between with the brake anti-squeal increases its effectiveness. I **strongly** suspect that they do it at the dealership as a standard part of the brake service. Or couse, they charge an arm and a leg.

Mike

Last edited by mtsao; 10-02-03 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-02-03, 12:24 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

I have no gripes against those brake assembly shims; they are there for a reason. However I have never heard of the brake anti-squeal substance you talked about, so that's why I questioned its purpose. No hard feelings Mike; that's good brake info to keep in mind for future diagnosis.

The last time I had brake service had nothing to do with pads. I had my front & rear rotors resurfaced since I felt a slight vibration on the steering wheel when I brake at 40 mph.
Old 10-02-03, 12:52 PM
mtsao
Driver

lexusk8, no offense taken at all--no worries. Speaking of cutting the rotors, isn't it amazing how much we can get used too? I find that as vibration creeps in, I slowly become accustomed to it and don't really notice it as it increases, but man, what a difference in feeling once it's resurfaced.

Mike
Old 10-02-03, 11:39 PM
Mullet
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the replies, i have noticed vibration when i brake too so maybe i need to get the rotors checked. thanks alot