Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

AWESOME.....overspray on the Gettins

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-03, 05:04 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AWESOME.....overspray on the Gettins

I cant say I am that surprised(just my luck) but there is overspray on my wheels.After expressing my concerns to the body shop several times about my wheels being properly masked off during my cars stay at the shop they assured me that everything would be fine.Well washing them today i noticed a rough feeling spot on one of the lips so I decide to check them all and sure enough all of them have some sort of overspray on them.It just feels like a really really fine sandpaper and looks kind of hazy.This pisses me off beyond belief.What are my options hereCan the overspray successfully be taken off without destroying the clearcoat on the lips?I mean a rough towel will scratch my wheels I dont see how in the world you could use something that would be strong enough to take off overspray without harming the lips in some way.Is the bodyshop obligated to pay for this process? I want to find some info here first I really dont wanna leave it in their hands seeing as how they cant even mask off a wheel properly.Any info would be greatly appreciated......

Last edited by GSTRANCE; 08-31-03 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-31-03, 05:19 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

U can use a can of brake cleaner spray. Spray some(not too much) on a piece of clean cloth(don't spray on the wheels!!!) And softly, lightly and gently rub it off.
Old 08-31-03, 05:35 PM
legendary
Racer

sorry to hear that Brice...
I normally put a set of sotckers I don't like when I get painted....I would consult the contract to see if it covers overspray on exhaust or wheels. I made them polish my exhaust when they got overspray on it (especially since it is not removable) I think better care should be taken, and they should be liable, ESP since they told you they would take the proper precautions to protect your investment.

Care to share the shop that did this?

Good luck bro...let me know if you need some wheels to roll on to get sprayed next time

Last edited by legendary; 08-31-03 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-31-03, 05:37 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear that bro..hopefully LT's advice work
Old 08-31-03, 06:23 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

when will shops get it right? i had the same problem when i recently put my car in the shop... thank god i took my wheels off b4 i put it in the shop. when i got my car out the shop i had clear coat overspary all over my car... they buffed out the areas where it was on the car and the guy gave me this real soft brillow pad that was 4 glass ,chrome,and polish... i used it on my polished window trim and it took it right off no scratches...but i don't know what the name of this pad is...mayb someone here will know...i hope it works out 4 u... next time put the stocks on.......good luck.....by the way i saw a sneak peak and oh god well worth the wait u put me through...
Old 08-31-03, 06:41 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

GSTRANCE:

Try a claybar first. Wash the wheels real well and use as instructed (with plenty of spray). if that doesn't work, I would try a paint cleaner, like Meguires. Always start off with gentle products and work your way up.

I would suggest trying it yourself before bringing it back to the shop. You will probably take more time and do it right.
Old 08-31-03, 06:45 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i know i just remembered. use laquar thinner(not sure if i spelled that right) but u know paint thinner. i used that when i had over spary on my chrome engine peices and it worked like a charm.....
Old 08-31-03, 10:46 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

so my options are brake cleaner spray, clay bar, paint cleaner from Meguiars,and laquer thinner? Doing this terrifies me as there is no place to do a "test" first.Which one of these is the weakest so to speak? Will these products not eat through the clearcoat? Will I need to wax over the spot after i am done?
Old 09-01-03, 05:14 AM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Trance:

The claybar method is probably the most gentle. Check with GS4Will or anyone else very knowledgeable in JDM wheels to find out what the finish actualy is. If it is the lips only, I believe they are clear anodized, which is much harder than the clearcoat on your spokes and will be resilient to most chemicals. If the claybar doesn't work, go next to the paint cleaner. Neither of these will do any damage.
Old 09-01-03, 09:00 AM
mmcustom
Driver

I used the paint thinner on my exhaust when the body shop got overspray on it and it polished out. I know that works, but I wasn't very hesitant to try it b/c the exhaust is less noticeable than your wheels. Be carefull.
Old 09-01-03, 11:36 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by cyclemax
GSTRANCE:

Try a claybar first. Wash the wheels real well and use as instructed (with plenty of spray). if that doesn't work, I would try a paint cleaner, like Meguires. Always start off with gentle products and work your way up.

I would suggest trying it yourself before bringing it back to the shop. You will probably take more time and do it right.

Dont use ANY heavy solvents!!!!!! Use the clay bar as stated above, you will be shocked at how well it will work... Then, follow up with some good ol' cleaner wax and you should be fine.......
Old 09-01-03, 01:55 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

Originally posted by tinygs
Dont use ANY heavy solvents!!!!!! Use the clay bar as stated above, you will be shocked at how well it will work... Then, follow up with some good ol' cleaner wax and you should be fine.......
I've never used claybar before is it a pretty self explanatory method? Can i get it at a local autoparts store?
Old 09-01-03, 04:33 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Brice, when using a claybar remember to spray water along the way. Keep the bar wet. By the way, last time my car was in the shop, I had both paint and overspray on my chrome wheels and paint thinner helped take the crap off. Then I used a good chrome polish and buffed out my wheels to a nice luster. I hate body shops!!!
Old 09-01-03, 11:41 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're lips are clearcoated, DEFINITELY DO NOT USE ANY HEAVY SOLVENTS!! YOU WILL SCREW IT UP FOR SURE!!

The best thing to do is use CLAY. Then get some rubbing compound (like 3M) and lightly polish it out then I would wax it. Wheel clearcoat should be treated like paint clearcoat. I've used this method to get off tree sap from my wheel's lip....

Also, if you're not sure about the body shop, just drop in and check on the car. If you see something "not right" then say something immediately.

I too would recommend putting on your stock wheels when getting paint or body work done. Of course, sometimes you have small problems like a big brake kit, in that case, you'll just have to trust the shop.
Old 09-05-03, 06:26 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought gasoline and a blowtorch would have done the trick? I guess not..