Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Toyo t1s? How are they?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-03, 02:14 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo t1s? How are they?

I ordered these for my rims and i heard they were pretty good. I never hear about them on this forum though. All i hear are the S03's the yoko's, dunlop etc. I currently own a pair of these but they are bald so i can't really put them to the test.. What are your thoughts on this tire? I know tirerack doesn't have these but it doesn't mean it isn't good right??
Old 08-01-03, 05:53 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are IMO the best tires out there.....very pricey but well worth it. I used to have T1-S on my 20's. They grip like no other. On top of that the tread design is awesome.
Old 08-01-03, 10:42 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

they seem to grip pretty well in the rain too but maybe that's because i was comparing them to my dad's es300 summer tires.
Old 08-01-03, 10:44 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mrshabo
they seem to grip pretty well in the rain too but maybe that's because i was comparing them to my dad's es300 summer tires.
no they have excellent wet traction......
Old 08-01-03, 10:49 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

ever try them in the snow? i seem like i'm going to have to try it with my bald toyo's..
Old 08-01-03, 10:52 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mrshabo
ever try them in the snow? i seem like i'm going to have to try it with my bald toyo's..
t1-S i believe is a summer only tire, unlike the FZ4 which is all season.... Don't use them in the snow.
Old 08-01-03, 10:56 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

i guess i'll have to buy a set of snow tires.. they should be cheap right? 400 bucks for 4? sound reasonable? i'll be using my stockers or my 17 in tri spoke mexirims (came with car)
Old 08-01-03, 04:54 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I have tried so many tires and the Toyos are my favorite. Great traction and not too noisy. The only complaint I have is about the lip protection. I had some BFGs on my durango and the lip was inset into the tire, thus protecting it somewhat from rocks and such. With the toyos the lip of the wheel seems to stick out. I know that it isnt because the wheel is too wide for the tire. I have 245s on an 8.5" wide wheel. As far as snow traction goes I have no idea (thank god )
Old 08-01-03, 06:08 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

your right.. the toyo's i have on my rims right now don't really protect the lip. i am dead if i scratch on a curb. O well i park my car like a bentley anyway.. minimum one foot from the curb lol. i hope i don't get a lot of rock chips molesting my rims when i get get them...
Old 09-09-04, 08:28 PM
gsfour
Pole Position

I just got some T1-S for my Integra GSR and I must say they are extremely grippy. But they sound like truck tires...extremely noisy compared to the stock Michelins. Oh well...my GSR in general is not quiet like a Lex anyways. Taking the turnpike is a whole lot of fun now! I wonder if these tires will give me some warning when they start slipping. Most street tires will give some kinda of warning, such as chirping, right? I heard racing compounds, like the Toyo RA-1 don't give you any warning and you'll end up in the kitty litter if you don't know what you're doing.

Last edited by gsfour; 09-09-04 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-16-04, 11:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's interesting maybe i can sit in your car some time and hear it myself. so far most people tell me it's pretty quiet. i definitely don't need more noise inside my car
Old 09-17-04, 07:37 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

The TS-1's came in first place overall in a recent popular consumer magazine of ultra high performance / max performance tire testing....beat Michelin, Goodyear and the like! Had the highest milage rating to boot!
Old 09-19-04, 08:48 PM
gsfour
Pole Position

Thumbs up

great in wet conditions I might add. Well it actually rained(thunderstorm level) in sunny California today and I took the teg out for a spin. I mean I really tried to break the car loose like I usually do with my old set of stock Michelin tires. Couldn't do it! The only place was on the painted white lines on the road, which in that case any tire is going to break loose. Other than that those tires grip like nuts. And it hasn't rained in Norcal for months so the oil/water mix was maxed for slippage. Great tire...I don't really care if they are so noisy.

When I went to the track they performed great as well. They broke loose a few times, but no tire is going to correct overly stupid driver mistakes. The tires heated up pretty good since they were brand spankin new with lots of tread. They even collected all these tire bits which are now part of the my tire tread pattern. I guess they will eventually wear away... Overall great tire for the track and street(wet or dry)...just remember to bust out those tunes loud!
Old 09-20-04, 12:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's awesome! i still thin the next set of tires i get would be the t1s, they look veyr promising!
Old 09-21-04, 11:03 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

i own toyo's t1's...19"- love ***
excellent traction in wet or dry conditions!!

Quick Reply: Toyo t1s? How are they?