Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Q: I'm pretty mad...need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 08:02 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q: I'm pretty mad...need help

Well my Supra brakes are in, however they will NOT fit my wheels in the front. I have a +41 offset and I don't have much more room for a caliper of that size. Now I was thinking of putting a set of spacers up front. SHould I do that or have the caliper shaved down? I need a good .5 inches to MAYBE clear the new caliper.

Anyone?

Thanks...
Old 07-31-03, 08:12 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Did you/they remove the dust shield from behind the TT brakes so they fit in a little better? That got mine in a bit closer, but I still ended up with a small spacer in the front even with high disk fittment & what seemed to be appropriate offset. Those things are just huge.
Old 07-31-03, 08:13 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

I have seen someone shave their caliper before with a high speed hardcore grinder. But I don’t think they took .5” inch off.

If you get spacers, make sure to get studs as well.
Old 07-31-03, 10:54 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Did you/they remove the dust shield from behind the TT brakes so they fit in a little better? That got mine in a bit closer, but I still ended up with a small spacer in the front even with high disk fittment & what seemed to be appropriate offset. Those things are just huge.
dave,

so the dust shiled will give you more room when removed? Ok, now the problem is that I still need a rather large spacer. 15mm will make the front look weird won't it?
Old 07-31-03, 10:58 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally, I wouldnt go with a large spacer, it can definitely affect the ride(although some dont have problems with them). I also personally wouldnt shave the calipers, ecspecially that amount of shaving. As much as it sucks to hear, I say go with new rims, or smaller brakes.
Old 07-31-03, 11:36 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
Personally, I wouldnt go with a large spacer, it can definitely affect the ride(although some dont have problems with them). I also personally wouldnt shave the calipers, ecspecially that amount of shaving. As much as it sucks to hear, I say go with new rims, or smaller brakes.

Old 07-31-03, 11:39 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally posted by futuregs
dave,

so the dust shiled will give you more room when removed? Ok, now the problem is that I still need a rather large spacer. 15mm will make the front look weird won't it?
Only one way to find out I guess... try it. My spaces are very small (think they're 3mm), so I can't really comment on how it will look.
Old 07-31-03, 01:50 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

For this much offset adjustment, you'll really need to have a custom bolt-on spacer made. The OE wheel studs aren't long enough to give you anywhere near the amount of lug thread engagement you'll need.

A bolt-on spacer is exactly that... it bolts onto the OE hub, and is studded with another five studs to accomodate the wheel. At 15mm thickness, you could have the spacer made hub-centric AND wheel centric, to reduce the possibility of vibration. There is a shop here in Gardena, CA (Los Angeles area) that can custom make these for you- I'm guessing the cost would be $65-$75 per spacer.

The other question you'll have to ask- if you move the front wheels out 15mm (that's over 1/2"), will they stick out past the fenders? Sorry, Buckaroo... it might be time for a new set of wheels for your whip!

I am surprised your wheels are that brake-unfriendly... they don't appear to have much lip. Must be the spoke profile and cross-section. BTW, for reference, the OE Supra calipers protrude about 39mm (1.550") past the wheel mounting surface (hub).

Sorry to hear about that!!

Best of luck!

-Bob
Old 07-31-03, 02:18 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

+41 offset with 15mm spacer.......you end up with +26 offset. Ain't that too aggrassive for the front?
Old 08-01-03, 06:05 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

thx for the replies.....how about if I shaved the inside of my wheel to accomadate the caliper?
Old 08-01-03, 06:34 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts
Question RMM Brakes

How is it that with a +41 offset your wheels cannot clear the brakes? Is it the type pf wheel you have? I have the Maya DTM wheels with a +36 offset in the front & they clear my RMM brakes with no problem. Maybe I am not understanding the offsets , does it mean the more the offset +35 and up the more room you have between the wheel hub and the actual rim clearance?
Old 08-01-03, 08:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

oh man, that sux. it' snot about the offset of your rims, it's about the wheel type. unless it's high disk setup and with plenty of clearance you won't be able to fit the calipers in, even if you cut off the dust shield (i thought you have to cut them off anyway to clear the lrager rotors?). personally i won't fit anything more than 5mm for the front wheels, 15mm is too much imho.
Old 08-01-03, 11:31 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Re: RMM Brakes

Originally posted by alwilliams
How is it that with a +41 offset your wheels cannot clear the brakes? Is it the type pf wheel you have? I have the Maya DTM wheels with a +36 offset in the front & they clear my RMM brakes with no problem. Maybe I am not understanding the offsets , does it mean the more the offset +35 and up the more room you have between the wheel hub and the actual rim clearance?
al,

it's the other way around +35 offset has more clearance than +41 offset. It also depends on wheel design, my O-Z's are +44 and I think I'd be able to clear Supra brakes (tight but they should clear)
Old 08-01-03, 11:32 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: RMM Brakes

Originally posted by alwilliams
Offset is the distance between back wheel hub to the center of the wheel. So the lower the number is, the wheel stick out more(therefore you got more space for caliper clearence.) Of course there are different disk-types will also affect the caliper fitment.
Old 08-01-03, 11:52 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Shaving the wheel may cause some unfixable balance problems

Quick Reply: Q: I'm pretty mad...need help