Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

I-forged Wheels (intro Forged)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 05:59 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I-forged Wheels (intro Forged)

Folks:

I am considering these wheels in 20 inch size. The 6 spoke flux model in high polish. Do you guys have any knowledge of these wheels and if they are a high-end product like Work, volk or HRE?

How highly regarded are they?

Any feedback you have on I-Forged wheels is appreciated.

Ted
Old 07-29-03, 06:25 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Do they sell in chrome or just high polish?

If I go high polish should I get them clear coated or without clear?

How do you maintain high polish rims so that they don't fade or get damaged?

Thanks,

Ted
Old 07-29-03, 08:44 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

ted,
hey it's brandon, i-forged is a decent brand....they do not compare to HRE in quality and finish, but they're up there. Alot, if not all BMW (e46,e36,M3) guys on the other BMW forums have had really bad troubles with i-forged. Some people weren't getting their rims for 4,5, even 6 months. Also i-forged customer service is supposedly very bad.

I'd stick with a JDM wheel rather then i-forged, although i-forged does make some nice designs. I was highly thinking of getting them, but after reading about 10 threads over at e46fanatics.com about how crappy their service is.....well word of mouth is best advertising. There's one guy over their with an M3 who went from HRE to i-forged and he regret doing so. Stating that the finish on i-forged wheels weren't remotely close to his HREs.
Old 07-29-03, 08:52 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a Search on IForged and you'll get plenty of discussion
Old 07-29-03, 12:30 PM
Cerberus
Driver

I have had both HRE (past vehicle) and iForged wheels (currently). It is my opinion that the quality and finish on both wheels are equal. BOTH companies get their parts from the same supplier and BOTH companies have their finishing done at the same place. If the price was the same, I would say coin toss. However, the price is not the same, so I chose to get the same quality wheel for a lower price. Unfortunately there are alot lf label queens on CL as well as other forums who would pay the money only for the reason of saying " I have HRE's! ". I like to say " I have more left in my bank account for other mods"

Regarding the bad experiences with iForged. These are a few isolated instances where there was miscommunication among many other orders that were filled without any problem. These instances were blown way out of proportion by young kids who were unable to provide the proper fittment information for their respective vehicles. Iforged's parent company Intro Wheels maked MANY wheels for MANY other companies. My experience with iForged was excellent and I would highly recommend them.

If you look through this forum, I believe Seize has the Flux in high polished finish.
Old 07-29-03, 01:11 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=iforged+suck

I have been getting A LOT of PMs and email regarding IForged and my experience with them from prospective buyers, and those on who are trying to decide whether or not to take advantage of the GB..

I just wanted give you all a synopsis of the situation, since there seems to be a lot of interest in the wheels and the company.

Problems: One of the valves was leaking on delivery, and the wheels did not come with center caps. Another of my rims was leaking form the seal between the rims halves. I was losing about 8 psi overnight.

I called Vince Wong at IForged and I was told that the rim needed to be returned to CA for repair. The wheel was sent out the first week of February. I was told that the repair would be 2 weeks.

3 weeks later I contacted Vince and was told that they do not have the equipment to remove the tire from the rim. The rims had not yet been touched.

Week Four: I was told the rim is being fixed, would be shipped the following week.

Week 5: I was told the wheel is fixed, but the center caps do not fit, new center caps needed to be made (Both Ryan Castro (kalib0y) and I told them that 5 weeks ago).

Week 6: Got an email that the wheel will ship next day.

Week 7: No wheel, I am told the shop making the center caps was delaying shipment.

Week 8: Last week. Vince tells me he will ship out the rim and send the caps later. Who knows when I will get those.

Here we are in week 9.

I spoke to Vince this morning and he has no tracking # for the wheel he "supposedly" sent back. He sent the wheel with some ghetto freight company "collect". Which means I will probably have to take a day off work so I am home to pay for the shipping and to get the wheel. Keep in mind I didn't damage the wheel, this wheel is DEFECTIVE. Why the hell should I have to pay freight BOTH ways? Thanks a whole frickin' lot.

As of today (April 8th), no tracking #, no wheel, no center caps, one tires valve still leaks and I have no idea if the repaired wheel has been fixed correctly.

I have owned the rims for over two months and they have been on the car for exactly 4 days. Calls and voicemails are typically not returned. I am starting to really HATE these rims.

This is just a timeline of my experience thus far with IForged. Hopefully your experiences, if you should choose to do business with them, will be better.

The wheels themselves are quite light, but are not clearcoated. The paint had numerous chips and scratches as they came from the factory and were touched up, badly. The wheel paint has a lot of orange peel.

Overall, these are OK rims. They look good, but are no where near the quality of HRE as claimed. Plus you can make a judgement for yourself about their customer service (they have none). Also note there is no written warranty on thier website, only that they stand behind the wheel for one year. They stand behind the wheel for a year while it sits at their factory waiting to be fixed I guess!!

Buyers beware.

John
BOTH companies get their parts from the same supplier and BOTH companies have their finishing done at the same place
--Actually, no they don't from what I understand, they get their wheels finished at the same place. They do not share the same parts.
iForged vs. HRE and in the end, you do get what you pay for whether it's the product itself or the customer service along with the product.
they are good wheels, but I believe HRE still has an edge on quality and name recognition.
The first and third quotes are from 2 buyers of i-forged wheels. The last quote is from a prospective wheel dealer who we ALL used to know....
Old 07-29-03, 01:45 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Cerberus
Regarding the bad experiences with iForged. These are a few isolated instances....
<Dr. Evil> Riiiiight </Dr. Evil>

Research done here at CL is about 95% subjective; just keep that in mind Ted.

Again, everyone should do their own resarch, and take into consideration that research when deciding on a wheel purchase. I'm sure a quick Google will help.

Good Luck
Old 07-29-03, 01:57 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default I've had my set for a little over 2 months now.

I've got the Flux 3Pc - polished lip and brushed centers w/clearcoat. As far as the finish and the quality of wheels are concerned I couldn't be happier. As far as their customer service is concerned...I can't really comment on that. I just never had to deal with it, as my wheels have been perfect from the day I received them...I guess the only thing that irked me was it just took too damn long to get my wheels about 11 weeks to be exact. Well enough of my ramblings...I'll let my pics do the talking!

These are the first pictures I took of them when they arrived..

Front and rear lip...

Old 07-29-03, 04:31 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have had HRE's and now have iForged (two sets actually) and the finish is the same. Same company does it. My HRE's finish peeled off so please don't tell me that HRE"s finish is perfect. So many of those in the thread have no idea what they're talking about. Let's say that HRE's visit to iForged wasn't just to say "Hi"....

A lot of finish problems were due to a the PAINTER. iForged has switched finishers so their new finish is as "bad" as HRE's...

Name recognition is definitely something HRE has over iForged...but that's it. You'll notice that there are several iForged owners on ClubLexus and none of them have had a problem....(except for shipping delays)...

What cracks me up is all you noobs here that just recently got HRE's...I've had HRE's for YEARS...I've been to HRE, I've seen them make the wheels. I've been to iForged, I've see the same time. I've saw the "bad years" of HRE when they had the finish problems, their cracking problems, etc., etc...iForged is just starting out (though the manufacturing side of it has been in business for years). They're going to have some growing pains. All I know is that I've gotten both sets of my wheels and i have a few more on order for friends and so far, no problems for me....a little delay doesn't bother me since I had to wait TWICE as long for my HRE's too....and we won't get into the three year delay with my clearcoat...

HRE does make nice wheels but they're not perfect either. It comes down to personal preference.Disregarding the cost, if the HRE label and designs do it for you, you're going to get a nice wheel....but you're also going to get the same quality with iForged. Now after you decide on the wheel, then take cost into consideration....are you willing to pay extra for the HRE name? If so, there is nothing wrong with that. People overpay for stuff all the time. I buy $4000+ watches that don't tell the time any better than a $15 quartz watch but then again, I'm not buying it simply for the purpose of telling time (or showing off for that matter considering most people have never even heard of the watches I buy).

I had HRE's and I switched and I don't regret it one bit. I have plans on other project cars and guess what? None of them are going to have HRE's either...

Last edited by Manaray; 07-29-03 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-29-03, 04:54 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I really should stand clear of this, but I just had to address one or two HRE-related issues:

BOTH companies get their parts from the same supplier and BOTH companies have their finishing done at the same place
All of HRE's forging dies and several rim components are proprietary.

So many of those in the thread have no idea what they're talking about. Let's say that HRE's visit to iForged wasn't just to say "Hi"....
Nobody from HRE has ever visited iForged.

A lot of finish problems were due to a the PAINTER. iForged has switched finishers so their new finish is as "bad" as HRE's...
The clearcoat issues HRE had in the past were actually caused by the preparation of the wheels. HRE does our own polished and brushed finishes in-house, the problem was rectified a long time ago. In fact, Manaray's wheels were the set that alerted us to the problem. Since we do the prep in-house, it was an easy fix. For this, Mike, we owe you thanks- and unfortunately, his wheels were only recently fixed. Actually, they look better than new now!

Thanks to all for lending an ear.

-Bob

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 07-29-03 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-29-03, 05:08 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For this, Mike, we owe you thanks- and unfortunately, his wheels were only recently fixed. Actually, they look better than new now!
The fix didn't do me a whole lot of good, did it Bob? Well at least it only took three years and not four to fix it. And I thank you for sticking to your word and fixing everything the way it should have been for my friend. BTW, since you had to replace every part except one, I was hoping you would have offered to upgrade his wheels to the 543R's....it wouldn't have costed much more and I'm sure he would have paid the difference...

As for proprietary forging dies...that is true, that die is what gives HRE wheels it's particular profile, but who does the forging for you? And what about the spun lips. Who's your vendor for that? If someone from HRE did visit iForged, would HRE admit it? Especially considering the conversation that went on? And when I say finisher, I also mean the clearcoater too. Have you guys switched clearcoaters within the last few months? Is Speedway not doing your work anymore?

Speaking of fixes, when I was working on my new wheels for the GS, I was experimenting with offset and backspacing and due to a slight miscalculation on my part (we were working on getting the perfect setup for the most lip), I was VERY close to the rear caliper. So you know what iForged did for me? They cut me two brand new rear wheels (with the correction). Granted, I'm sponsored by them and all, but THAT is customer service...

Last edited by Manaray; 07-29-03 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-29-03, 05:35 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

OK OK, let's not turn this into another HRE/IForged debate And Manaray, its worth stating that just because somebody is a "noob" HRE owner, doesn't make their opinions worth less.

And yes, I am one of those noobs , but I'm not going to step foot into this debate, aaaaagain.
Old 07-29-03, 05:37 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Manaray
Granted, I'm sponsored by them and all, but THAT is customer service...
Ah the truth comes out.......hey if HRE or Iforged decides to sponsor me...i'll be their best new friend..
Old 07-29-03, 05:41 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Sponsorship by HRE would be preferred and probably overdue too....(HRE ..are you listening)..

Attached Thumbnails I-forged Wheels (intro Forged)-s3500017a.jpg  
Old 07-29-03, 05:43 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike, perhaps this isn't the correct venue to air all of this out, but I have nothing to hide.

Mike, yours was an unfortunate situation- since HRE does not stock cut or finished wheel centers, I did not have anything at that time that I could loan you that would accommodate your large AP front brakes. I did offer to loan you a pair of 18" wheels while we refinished your wheels (under warranty), but they would not have worked with your big brakes. As far as cutting 20Rs for your friend, there are significant cost associted with cutting new centers. At the end of the day, I think he was happy.

Suppliers/vendors... yes, APP manufactures our center forgings, to our specifications. No big deal, plenty of people outsource stuff. As far as the rims- we have more than one supplier, and the new supplier has an exclsive agreement with HRE. BTW, these new spun parts are 6061-T6, not the old 5454-H34. Beyond that... the details are... well, proprietary.

HRE still uses Speedway for painting & clearcoating. As I said, the trouble with the clearcoat was in the preparation, not the application. Since we did (and still do) the prep in-house, the problem was internal, not Speedway's.

I'm happy iForged got you taken care of on your rear wheels. HRE employs me to manage Fitment R&D and Quality Assurance- EVERY order that HRE makes is checked by me personally to assure proper fitment before cutting wheels- I also hand check every part that comes off of the mill, before any finishing occurs. This is all done to assure the customer of the utmost quality.

Much of this internal process has developed over the last couple of years... we all learn from our mistakes, and, hopefully, improve due to our mistakes. I have been with HRE for nearly five years now, and it certainly wasn't always easy working for a business with such 'growing pains.'

I stand 100% behind my statement that I doubt you will find a more dedicated and enthusiastic staff than ours. We are all loyal and hardworking... and, unfortunately, still human (hey, stuff happens!). Just wait until SEMA...

Anyway, "we now return you to your thread topic... "

Quick Reply: I-forged Wheels (intro Forged)