Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

ADR wheels. . .don't hate me yet

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-03, 02:38 AM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADR wheels. . .don't hate me yet

Hey all -

Before you bite my a$$, I've done research. I'm in love with the ADR MSPORT in 18x8.5 and 18x9.5. These, IMO, are a great looking wheel. Yeah I'd rather have the original or something of higher quality. But $1800 or so is my budget for rims and tires. I'm not an aggressive driver, in fact I pretty much baby my SC4 in all aspects. I just want some tasteful flash on my car. My main concerns are what you all think of these "cheaper" wheels for just oridnary driving. I know they're heavy, but from what I've heard they're still built rather well. Secondly, they come with the +35 offset, and if I understand correctly, the SCs come wtih +50? Will I need to use spacers? If so, which ones? I've read that people have had trouble balancing them out, which, ironically, is the problem with my stock BBS crap rims. One of them is out of round and I can't balance it out for the life of me. Thirdly, should I run 245/40s on the front and 275/35s on the rear?

Here's a pic in case anyone is interested or has never seen ADR MSPORTS

Thanks guys
Old 07-26-03, 05:05 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Save some more money, and buy better wheels.
Old 07-26-03, 10:23 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1800 is a good budget for rims...You can always buy a USED set of rims instead of purchasing new...You just have to be patient...
Old 07-26-03, 11:29 AM
SC300nAE86
Driver School Candidate

I agree. Try a used Japanese importer site like GSpeed or something get some nice wheels cheap.
Old 07-26-03, 12:39 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I had the ADR m-sports on my last SC. I liked the look but you can do sooooo much better with a budget of $1800. I picked up a set of 19" Racing Hart M-5's used for $1800. Search the classifieds. Always some good deals there. Good luck
Old 07-26-03, 01:16 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

What exactly is so bad about the ADRs? Is there another wheel of higher quality with similar looks? I really like the thick lip of the Msport.
Old 07-26-03, 01:30 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

The mesh look of the m-sport is used by just about every wheel manufacturer out there. ADR uses inferior quality metal and processes to make its wheels. That makes them weak and very heavy.
Old 07-26-03, 02:26 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i haven't been able to find any decently priced mesh style wheels that have a similar look. Did your ADRs bend or crack Vegas? Seriously, for the (ebay) price I would consider them. One entire set of those costs only slightly more than just to replace 1 of my Altstadt wheels (the damaged Altstadt wheel had a previous balancing problem also). it's too bad that those are fake 2 piece wheels though, much better if they were a 1 piece.
Old 07-26-03, 02:36 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I ended up with only 1 small bend in the wheel. They did hold up pretty well during the crash though. I would have kept them but the insurance company gave me almost what I paid for them so I figured I'd just cash out and start over. pic of the crash in the thread below

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=64778
Old 07-26-03, 03:27 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

damn that wheel looks so good. And another thing is that if I got those rims, my buddy can hook me up with a discount on tires.. Then I can get some eibach springs to do the drop so the rims will fit nicely in the wheelwell. They can't be that bad can they? I just feel ashamed driving around with my clearcoat peeling 16th century BBS rims. What did you pay for yours vegas?
Old 07-26-03, 03:57 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I think I paid about $1800 total with the Toyo tires. 18x8.5 in the front and 18x9.5 in the rear.
Old 07-26-03, 07:42 PM
lawman
Driver

Default My thoughts...

This is just my humble thoughts and I in no way can testify as to the quality of the wheels just the visual look of the wheels.

Way back when I was looking for wheels... I also checked out the ADR M-sport because of the stagger set up and the nice look of the fatty lip in back. It was a good price compared to all the other JDM wheels that I actually liked more, but price was much higher. After going through this forum I was more inclined to not go the ADR way but the price and look kept me thinking about them.

Then one night I am out on the town and I see this nice azz FD, rx-7 nice custom paint and all. I go take a look closer and he has the ADR M-sports with the stagger set up - DAYUM was I totally dissapointed The wheels looked crappy in person by itself and crappy on the car the ADR did not match the FD at all. I was actully kinda bumed seeing that in person and then thinking dang, good thing I did not get these for my SC. So I turn around to walk back to the bar and... boom there is a bust up ole raggidy civic with a can exhaust and .... ADR wheels almost same design as the m-sports and I made up my mind right there and then not to go the ADR way. Maybe the chromies look better but the ones I say on this nice RX-7 - KILLLED it for me.

I totally am not saying you need to spend bank on wheels but just be patient and look for good deals, like this deal https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=90360 Good quality wheels, mesh for just a few more paper. Again, this is JMHO.

Last edited by lawman; 07-26-03 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-27-03, 12:22 AM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Thanks Lawman, I appreciate the input. All I want is a nice car with sweet rims to compensate for my ***** size. . . . . . . . . . . .just kidding. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a deal, cuz I know those lonely ebayers will ALWAYS be waiting for the stroke of my right mouse button to make the deal. Thanks guys. Later on.

Old 07-27-03, 10:52 AM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

I had a set of white ADR DTM's on a civic I used to own, got a ton of compliments, and the best part, I was only in it $900 with tires through my friends shop. I am actually looking at some for my IS, I've seen an IS with the M-Classic on it, and it looks very nice, so does the Kasai. It's really up to you, if you are a poor kid like me, there is nothing wrong with sticking to your budget, and buying something nice.
Old 07-27-03, 01:57 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

I'm with you sDuquette, I'm the middle of college and simply can't afford to plunk down 4 g's some nice rims. Granted, I wish that I could. But, that's not the case. And the roads that I travel aren't that bad. So unless these wheels are known for cracking in half while thumping over a flattened squirrel, I would imagine that I'll be alright.

Quick Reply: ADR wheels. . .don't hate me yet