Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

America's Tire scratched BOTH my rims!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 04:30 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry America's Tire scratched BOTH my rims!

oh man, i just got back from America's Tire to get my two front tires switched around for even wear. 1.5 hrs later, they tell me that they scratched my driver's side rim. Upon further inspection, they even chipped a few centimeters off of the passenger side!

So, I'm so mad that i'm shaking. I stare at both rims, and it's scratched all over. Not only scratches, but it's chipped in 3 places. The owner tried to cover it up, but he shut up once I told him that even the installer knowingly admitted to scratching it.

The manager offers to fix, but i said hell no! I want them replaced. He also tried to place the blame on me saying that I'm trying to rip them off. Whatever, everyone there knows it's their fault for hiring retards. They got my info down and my rim size. They are supposed to call in a few days. Looks like I get 2 new Gettins!

Just letting everyone know the story just in case you guys get your precious 19+ rims installed. Be sure to have a competant worker touching your wheels. The guy who did mine supposedly had "6 years experience" but looks to me like 0 experience the way he treated my rims. Good luck!
Old 07-14-03, 04:48 PM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's always my nightmare when I get tires installed
Old 07-14-03, 05:01 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Sorry to hear that man. A good rule of thumb is to always get that kind of stuff done at a rim shop or something like that. They ONLY deal with aftermarket stuff so they know the reverse mount yadda yadda yadda stuff.
Old 07-14-03, 09:39 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

sorry man....i PMed you back
Old 07-14-03, 10:39 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

I hate incompetant workers....
Old 07-14-03, 11:54 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Are you sure they are going to get u two brand new wheels??? That sounds too good to be true from those tire shop managers(cuz all of them are sneaky.)
Old 07-15-03, 08:40 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

no no, at first they wanted to fix... but i made SURE i got it in writing. on the invoice it says "damaged customer rims, must replace 2 rims"

then they wrote down by hand my size and rim name.
Old 07-15-03, 08:49 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Isn’t it tough to get getting’s? like you need someone to import them?
Old 07-15-03, 09:51 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jpa2400
Isn’t it tough to get getting’s? like you need someone to import them?
I think that was why Will said he PM'ed him back.

-Anthony
Old 07-15-03, 02:09 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Dude, that sucks. Get the replacement cost of the ENTIRE wheel(s) instead of just the outer rim.
Old 07-15-03, 04:44 PM
zmatrix
Pole Position

wow I am surprised that they would even replace the rims.
Old 07-15-03, 06:09 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Default ME TOO!!!

Tire Rack chipped one of my Gettins.

They wanted to repair but I said that it was BRAND NEW. They replaced AND let me keep the old one!!!

I bought from Will. I had him send me an invoice for the wheel, I took this to Discount. They authorized me to purchase the new rim. I had Will send me a receipt and took that and the wire transfer receipt to the shop. They copied it and sent me out a check for the full amount.

Good luck.

One thing to do is to wrap the arms of the machine that hold the rim with tape. Mine got a few marks but nothing too bad.

R
Old 07-18-03, 10:07 PM
MasterG
Pole Position

I just got tires put on my 20 inch Lsportline wheels. They should mount the tire with the wheel facing down to avoid scratches and chips. They were also using almost new Hunter mounting and balancing equipment.
Old 07-18-03, 10:42 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune...Hope its resolved quickly.
Old 07-21-03, 12:33 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs down

i'm so frustrated that i'm shaking. I don't know what to do.... so maybe someone can help me out...

i just got off the phone with the manager at the place where they scratched my rims. Basically he wants to repair my rims only. He said that they'll do it perfectly and blah blah blah. I took a stand and said that before I was shopping around to get tires installed, America's Tires said that "if we scratch them, we'll replace them..." so i said okay, i'll do it there. Now they're denying my replacement. What should I do?

I do NOT want to get them repolished, as I do not trust them taking apart a 3 piece wheel. I don't even know if they're going to clear coat the lips correctly.

I also had the other installer write me something on a piece of paper, so he wrote (without me telling him) "customer got damage during installation... need to order 2 wheels for front of vehicle." Then he wrote by hand Zauber 19x8.5 5-114.3. Gettins.

Can anyone help me out? Should i call corporate? I'm sick and tired of explaining my situation over and over to these people. They keep on suggesting that I scratched the other side, but how can i scratch it? it's not a curb rash, and the gash is consistent with the other side. AND then the manager said it's not company policy to tell their customers that they'll replace the rims. I even called two stores prior and on different occasions they said that they mount 22's all the time, so no scratches. If they do, then they get a new one. NOT a fix, but a replacement.

I'm so sick of this.

edit: i couldn't wait, so after this i called their customer service on the website. they're looking into it now. I want this to get done ASAP

Last edited by AutoCoutureSC; 07-21-03 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: America's Tire scratched BOTH my rims!