Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Are HRE's worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-03, 07:56 PM
ylowsnow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are HRE's worth the money?

Are HRE wheels truely worth the money?
Old 07-08-03, 09:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes
Old 07-08-03, 09:40 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh..yeah..if your budget allows
Old 07-08-03, 09:50 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

if you want to spend that kinda money go FIKSE..
Old 07-08-03, 10:35 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

just oh-so-barely worth it. what, $6 - $8k for most sets...that's just wild for something that serves the same as lesser wheels. quality and blah blah, and like they said, the wheels are overbuilt.

of course, if your disposable income is that high or you like wheels that much, its a purchase where you never look back(or so i hear ) personally, i find it hard to justify a wheel much more than $1k/per, which tosses me into the JDM market
Old 07-08-03, 10:53 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definitely worth it, they are beautibul in person, my favorite wheel designs are mostly by HRE
Old 07-09-03, 04:54 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Worth" is rather subjective.

It depends on several factors:

- your expectations with the wheel
- the importance you place on quality, weight, customer service
- your budget
- style desired
- fixibility

....just to name a few

I'm biased but I think they're "worth" it.
Old 07-09-03, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by bravo261
just oh-so-barely worth it. what, $6 - $8k for most sets...that's just wild for something that serves the same as lesser wheels. quality and blah blah, and like they said, the wheels are overbuilt.

of course, if your disposable income is that high or you like wheels that much, its a purchase where you never look back(or so i hear ) personally, i find it hard to justify a wheel much more than $1k/per, which tosses me into the JDM market
if you know the right resource (which is not hard to find. even i have some contact already), no hre wheels for lexus application should go over 6k give or take. if you get the 440r series, which is the cheapest, you can definitely see the number below 4k
Old 07-09-03, 08:54 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

"the wheels are overbuilt."

If that is how you think, then your Lexus is WAY over built, go buy a Kia and some Konigs if you want cheap

Not just HRE, but most quality 3pc forged wheels are going to set you back some coin...

Last edited by jpa2400; 07-09-03 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-09-03, 08:57 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
if you get the 440r series, which is the cheapest....
Let's not use "cheap" and "HRE" in the same discussion

The 440 Series, which I have, is a two piece, so it is of a lower 'cost' or capital investment
Old 07-09-03, 12:25 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Brabus are $1750 Per wheel list price.......that's NOT WORTH IT!!
Old 07-09-03, 01:33 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

You can definitely accuse me of being biased...

I will say that 'worth it' could certainly be construed as subjective. Is a Lexus 'worth it?' How about a Ferrari? You can buy a perfectly good transportation car for $12K new- less than half of what I paid for my three-year old Lexus. The Lexus makes me feel GOOD!

However, I've changed the wheels on every car I have ever owned- and have had my share of wheel nightmares, too (vibration, poor fitment, bent rims, cracked center, mis-matched lug seats, etc.- granted, they were all cast wheels). I can tell you there is NOTHING like having a set of custom-made, forged wheels on your car. I will never go back... in fact, my 1972 Fiat is getting a set of HREs next!

My HRE wheels on my GS use less than an ounce of weight to balance each tire, and the radial runout is less than .010" Combine this with relatively light weight (especially for a 20") and very low rotational inertia, and you end up with a car that drives better than stock. It DEFINITELY corners beter, too.

Often times, I forget the car is rolling on 20s because it actually has less vibration (okay, no vibration) unlike the OE 17s had. The only time I am aware it's on 20s is when a passerby gives me a thumbs-up! HREs say class, money, good taste, and "that guy must know 'what's up'"... you can't say that about all aftermarket wheels.

Anyway, if you like 'em, buy 'em... part of HREs whole mystique is their exclusivity- if you saw them on every-other Civic, would you really want them? Just be prepared to feel like a celebrity- even a quick stop for gas inevitably turns into a 20-questions session about the wheels... I love it!!

Regards,
Bob

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 07-09-03 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-09-03, 01:47 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Basically, HRE is positioning themselves to be like a high dollar fashion brand (a little too much "Cribs" in their diet) Sure, they may good products, but is it worth the money considering their cost isn't very different from other forged wheel makers? That's for the end consumer to decide. Personally, I think HRE is off their rocker on the pricing of the 840R's. Competely ridciulous...

Personally, if you want UNIQUE and quality, get the Rays Forged Magnesiums. I'm pretty damn sure you're not going to run into too many people with those wheels.

Now having had a set of HRE's and other brand wheels, I can tell you that they rode the same (basically the same specs except for a little offset difference). Any well made wheel will ride well. You don't need to dump $8K on a set of wheels for it to ride well. Just get a set that's WELL MADE. That is the key. Don't look at price, look at the materials and the build quality first. You'll see that there are several very well made Forged wheel companies out there (iForged, Kinesis, Fikse, Rays, Work, etc.)...some charge more than others and I can assure you that the majority of the price difference is in their MARGIN (except for imported wheels...there, you're paying for shipping charges too but hey, it's harder to get which means less people have it if being "unique" is really important to you).

www.iforged.com
www.kinesismotorsport.com
www.fikse.com
www.rayswheels.co.jp
www.work-wheels.co.jp
Old 07-09-03, 01:49 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Dex: BTW, your 447Rs are three-piece, dude! The initial 440R series prototypes were two piece, but due to supply issues, it was decided to build all 440R series wheels in a three-piece format.

This has the added benefit of having more width choices, and being able to replace damaged inner or outer rims independently. Also, the three-piece format is actually slightly lighter than our two-piece prototypes, due to the rim thickness required for the assembly bolts the single-pice barrels would have required.

My brother has been rolling his '94 GS300 on 19x9 and 19x10 HRE 448R for about a year and a half now- he's on his second set of rubber, almost ready for his third. The outer rims are incredibly strong- so far, so good.

I'd also like to mention that HREs are all designed, analyzed, and prototyped by HRE in-house. The staff here has a tremendous amount of pride in what we do, and we take it VERY seriously. We are enthusiasts, and pour a tremendous amount of energy into or product.

As always, my 'door' is open to questions any time: bobh@hrewheels.com
Old 07-09-03, 01:57 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
Dex: BTW, your 447Rs are three-piece, dude! The initial 440R series prototypes were two piece, but due to supply issues, it was decided to build all 440R series wheels in a three-piece format.
Yeah 3 piece - that's what I said......

=========

Edit: Whenever I hear Manaray speak about HRE now, I feel like I've crossed over into some alternate universe -> bizarro Manaray

Last edited by ///MDex; 07-09-03 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Are HRE's worth the money?