Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

how are higher end wheels balanced?

Old 06-18-03, 09:35 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how are higher end wheels balanced?

I'm taking my gs430 in for 15k service on saturday and for the last year i've been dealing with on and off vibration in the steering. The dealership pretty much convinced me that it was tire pressure. But it is inconsistant on similar (temp wise) days. I have noticed that if I go a month without checking tire pressure that my passenger side rear tire has dropped 15LBS!!!!! in pressure. I think there must be a slow leak at the stem (it feels looser than the other wheels) .. These wheels are SSR GT3 8.5"F and 10"R .. so if its a balance problem how do they balance these types of wheels? I mean they aren't just gunna stick those lead weights on the outside of the rim are they? dear god thats ugly.

I think i'm going to have to insist that they thoroughly check the suspension, bushings etc.. ideas? Steering lose maybe?
Old 06-19-03, 06:03 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Most prefer the Hunter GSP9700 High Speed Balancing maching:

Use this link to find one near you:

http://128.242.141.111/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Old 06-19-03, 06:18 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This was at my local Lexus dealership. They had all the high end stuff, and a dedicated techinician there to run them. Call and ask what types of balancing and alignment resources they have. HTH

HREs being mounted at my dealership

Old 06-19-03, 06:48 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Actually I think one of their techs mentioned that they had a great tire balancing setup if I ever decided I wanted to do it.

One thing you didn't answer though. How do they actually 'balance' the wheels? (obviously they have machines to know when its out of balance, or when they've got it balanced again, but what type of weight? I can't imagine thos little lead weights on the outside of my beautiful rims)
Old 06-19-03, 07:37 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Hohlraum
One thing you didn't answer though. How do they actually 'balance' the wheels? (obviously they have machines to know when its out of balance, or when they've got it balanced again, but what type of weight? I can't imagine thos little lead weights on the outside of my beautiful rims)
Oh Sorry. The lead weights go on the inside / backside of the wheel.
Old 06-19-03, 08:45 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

I thought that they always put it on the side that was closest to the middle/center of the wheel (? Most wheels this would always be the front size of the wheel. My GT3's have a decent lip in the back (rear fitment) but not much of one in the front.

Anyone know of a link that tells everything that is done to a GS430 for 15k service?
Old 06-22-03, 11:07 PM
tech237
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can request that only sticky weights be used ..not clip ons, additionally ask that your tires be balanced using the "roadforce" feature on the balancer ( that black cylinder looking device in the top pic) it helps a great deal on GS tires....although because of the design of the column on GS's total vibration at freeway speeds is almost impossible to get rid of...even with perfectly balanced tires...unfortunately