Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Will a Supra offset work with the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 09:06 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Will a Supra offset work with the GS?

Heres a question for you wheel gurus out there. Im thinking about buying a set of wheels from a guy that would be coming off of a MKIV Supra TT. They are 19x9, 19x10. I dont know the offset, but I would imagine they are within the range for the TT, whatever that might be. I also have the Stoptech 14" BB kit on its way, so they need to clear them, however they seem to have plenty of room to clear the large Supra TT calipers.

Any feedback on wether they will fit on the GS or not?
Old 06-05-03, 10:06 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9+10....should be fine
Old 06-06-03, 05:29 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

I was pretty sure that the width would be fine, Im more concerned about the offsets that a TT Supra runs. Im not sure what they are, or if they would be ok for the GS.
Old 06-09-03, 02:01 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supras can handle a little lower offset than the GS (at least in front).

So with a 9" wheel, I'd guess it is pushing it at the very least.

I know an 8.5" wheel with a +32 offset fits a Supra while it sticks outside the fender of a GS about 5 mm.

I think the back is pretty comparable.

R
Old 06-09-03, 06:39 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

An 8.5" +32 wheel stick out on a GS? It's aggressive, to be sure, but it doesn't stick out... I run 20x9 +36 on the front of mine (flush with fender), which has the same frontspacing as 20x8.5 +30.

In reality, you'd like the 'everyday guy' GS offset to be 19x9 +35 to +38 front, and 19x10 +42 to +50 rear.

The big concern on the GS is the rear ... if you go aggressive here, you'll need to do a few fender mods. Most "off the rack" wheels that fit the Supra will fit the GS very well- most wheel manufacturers don't (or won't) differenciate between the two cars. Many of the Japanese manufacturers of modular wheels do make Supra-specific offsets, however (as does HRE, and most other custom wheel manufacturers).

'Pimp, can you tell me the offsets of the Supra wheels? I can tell you for sure if they'll work or not. PM me if you don't feel like sharing the numbers with the world.. or e-mail me at the office: bobh@hrewheels.com

The Supra actually has more backspacing available than the GS- in the front, the GS uses a suspension upright behind the wheel/tire which connects the upper & lower control arms.
The Supra does not have this upright, as it's platform is shared with the first-gen SC.
With the GS, max fitment is 9" wide front, 10.5" wide rear- the Supra can accommodate 9.5" front & 11" rear pretty easily.

The brake overhang issue is not as clear-cut. The good news is that if the Supra wheels fit over the OE Supra brakes (I assume they do), there is a pretty good chance they will clear the Brembos.
The OE Supra brakes overhang the wheel mounting surface 39mm (about 1.5"), and the Brembos overhang 40.5mm (about 1.6").

The StopTechs are a bit more wheel friendly than the Brembos, however, at 31.5mm (about 1.25")overhang- this might be a good option for those who want upgraded brakes, but have a "medium disk" front wheel (as opposed to a "high disk").

Hope this helps...

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 06-09-03 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-09-03, 08:13 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Bob, as always, you have been a wealth of information. I should have learned by now to just e mail you directly with these questions. I was thinking along the same lines as you, if they clear the Supra calipers then they should clear the Stoptech calipers. Im still trying to get the offsets from the guy to be sure. I appreciate the info, as soon as I get the offset #'s I will shoot you an e mail.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 06-10-03, 08:53 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
An 8.5" +32 wheel stick out on a GS? It's aggressive, to be sure, but it doesn't stick out...
YES.

I have personally had an HRE 540 18x8.5 +32 with a 245/40 Kuhmo tire on the front of my car and looking straight down from the top you could see the tire. You could also see the rim edge when the wheel was mounted without the tire.

I thought it looked stupid...plus the further it sticks out the more crap gets thrown up the side of the car.

R
Old 06-10-03, 01:07 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

AgGS400: You're testing the wheel mounted on the car, with no tire? Of course it will stick out- the suspension is in maximum positive camber when it is unloaded (jacked-up), and the top of the rim will stiick out. If you load the suspension, it will tuck right in. Often times, even a mounted wheel/tire will appear to stick out until the car lowered from being jacked-up and is moved to 'settle' the suspension.

I actually don't show any records of ever building an 8.5" wide wheel for a GS with a +32 offset. Were they from another vehicle? Curious...

Anyway, I have the 20x9 +36 on my GS4 with 255/35-20. They do not stick out.
Our recommended fitment for the GS is 8.5" with +34 or 9.0" with +40- these have identical "frontspacing."
Old 06-10-03, 01:10 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
AgGS400: You're testing the wheel mounted on the car, with no tire? Of course it will stick out- the suspension is in maximum positive camber when it is unloaded (jacked-up), and the top of the rim will stiick out. If you load the suspension, it will tuck right in. Often times, even a mounted wheel/tire will appear to stick out until the car lowered from being jacked-up and is moved to 'settle' the suspension.
You are right with the wheel and tire unmounted.

It did stick out with the tire on after taking a lap with full weight. 4 people working at Discount Tire also agreed.

I believe Andy at Discount Tire in Pearland, TX originally ordered them for a Supra. I called HRE when we were trying to fit them and I was told they were +32. That could be incorrect.

R