Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What is the point of rims?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-03, 11:02 AM
BIGONKER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the point of rims? i mean i like the lexus alloy ones a whole lot, and spending like 2000 bucks to replace them? i just dont understand!
Old 05-10-03, 12:23 PM
dartdoc1
Driver

You will understand one day
Old 05-10-03, 02:18 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by BIGONKER
spending like 2000 bucks to replace them? i just dont understand!
bud, you sure don't.

its just something many of us love, and $2000 is the strict bottom end
Old 05-10-03, 03:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

whats the point of rims? i mean i like the lexus alloy ones a whole lot, and spending like 2000 bucks to replace them? i just dont understand!
Rims have a HUGE effect on a car's looks. It's like the difference between wearing cheap old shoes, and some new, high quality ones.

The Lexus GS rims don't look bad (the 17s anyway) but the car has HUGE wheel wells, begging for bigger rims. 20's fit without any problems and the car looks LEAPS AND BOUNDS more impressive with those instead of 17's. Of course 20's have some trade-offs, they're often heavy, and may be prone to damage on bad roads due to the short tire sidewall, but many, particularly those in places with nicer weather, go for it.

Also, on many cars, particularly the GS, the rear factory wheels are inset from the fender, which can accomodate a wider rim than the front. The inset rears looks weak, especially with the 16's and the stock 'tall' suspension setting.

With fatter rear wheels and lowering the car, even just an inch, the appearance of the car is dramatically improved.
Old 05-10-03, 04:53 PM
CrazyG02
Driver

Old 05-10-03, 05:52 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by bravo261
bud, you sure don't.

its just something many of us love, and $2000 is the strict bottom end
$2000.00.............. will not get much. if u put 19's or 20's on u'r car u would unerstand much more.
Old 05-10-03, 06:29 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

and spending like 2000 bucks to replace them?
Most people don't replace rims two at a time

Performance: the Lexus rims are cast, heavier, which is significant unsprung weight. Some people prefer buying wheels that are not only larger, but lighter than stock. Others want wheels that clear larger brakes. Others like open spoke designs that show off pricey brake setups and cool them off better. Others require wider wheels that allow wider tires for improved traction.

Style: the Lexus rims are ugly, the SC430 rims are the forerunner of that quality. Most people want larger (and often heavier) rims that compliment the luxury and style of their cars. Then there's the desired quality of a perfect offset, perfect wheel fill, larger lips, shinier look, staggered image, and of course sometimes stronger wheels. Few automakers offer nice wheels to accomodate their cars, and Lexus is not one of them.

There are so many benefits of aftermarket wheels, I wonder why the thought of it doesn't cross more people's minds? Better wheels are the singly most defining trait of a modified car.
Old 05-10-03, 06:32 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

if you really don't care for rims, don't get sucked into it. big rims and tires are expensive. some people just don't notice or care, and that's ok.
Old 05-10-03, 10:44 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Remember one thing, if you a driving a stock car, YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL, OR DIFFERENT. I hate when people by a expensive car, then say "I'm the only one that has a phat ride like this!!!" Then an identical ride rolls by and he says "Oh but he doesnt have the TINT!!! Just like you bought a nice Lexus, so did thousands, or millions of other folks, so you are just a number, unless you modify. Which leads me to my next point.

The point of rims (if you must ask) is that they are the single mod, that can TOTALLY change the look and demeanor of your car!! Want a sporty look for your gs? get some 20" forged mesh wheels and a 2"drop. Want a conservative look? Get some 18s, and a 1" drop. Wanna get stared at by everyone from the ages of 8mos to 80yrs old?? Get some 20" chrome wheels with fat lips, a 2.5" drop, a kit, I.C.E and zenons!!!

There is simple no other way to express and differentiate your vehicle!!

BTW-asking that question on this board, is like asking "Whats the point of buying a Lexus, a Camry/Avalon is just as nice AND you save money!!"
Old 05-11-03, 07:10 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 211 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally posted by DGOT20s
There is simple no other way to express and differentiate your vehicle!!

BTW-asking that question on this board, is like asking "Whats the point of buying a Lexus, a Camry/Avalon is just as nice AND you save money!!"
A M E N

Last edited by Hameed; 05-11-03 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-11-03, 09:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
Better wheels are the singly most defining trait of a modified car.
AMEN!
Old 05-12-03, 04:57 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

BIGONKER, you got a rebuttal of some sort?
Old 05-12-03, 01:44 PM
Lvangundy

I'm finiding it strange that most of the responses to BIGONKER's question are about aesthetics..

Lex400sc's reply seemed to cover a bit more of the REAL benfits to having larger wheels.

I'm NO expert in this area, but I do know that having bigger wheels in more than one way (diameter, width, weight) improves several aspects of how a car handles and drives.

Lighter wheels provide better braking, and better off the line acceleration. This is 'unspring' weight - weight that is 'under' the springs and shocks which support the car's chassis.

A larger diameter tire reduces flex in the sidewall of the tire when cornering. This provides better handling, but if sidewall height is reduced too much I would guess that benefits of a slightly larger diameter wheel are canceled out as there is not enough rubber to grip on the ground. I'm thinking 20's and bigger apply to this. A 35 series sidewall isn't much..

Wider tires and wheels offer better grip all around and especially for cars with enough power to make them slip when accelerating off the line - wider it is the harder it is to chirp the tires.

Yes there is the looks factor - I'm not denying that. Some cars do look AWESOME with bigger wheels, but sometimes the looks may out perform the actual performance gains. Maybe someone can give a better explanation!

Last edited by Lvangundy; 05-12-03 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-12-03, 10:37 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

LV made some good and valid points...wheels are like shoes..there is nothing wrong with stock wheels. and some are actually very nice looking, ie, stock GS 17s/IS 17s..BUT, there is always room for perfromance improvement..properly sized, lighter wt wheels can make world of difference...."looks" are personal thing, so i will leave that one along
Old 05-13-03, 06:02 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wheels are pointless!

I'm going out and cleaning my 20's...

Quick Reply: What is the point of rims?