Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

what exactly is reversed lip and what's good about it

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-03, 02:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default what exactly is reversed lip and what's good about it

i did a serach, had a thread that's about it but the pics are red x already, and the explanation is still unclear to me. what is reversed lip design. what's regular step design? how are the two different? and what's good about reversed lips excep the price tag?
Old 04-01-03, 09:02 AM
Wheel Experts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to sum it up, the reverse uses a true-to-size center that is "reverse dropped" which yields a straight flat lip. A reverse 19" wheel has a true 19" center, while a 19" standard has an 18" center with a 1/2" "step" all the way around, thus making the wheel appear smaller.

In reality, it's a matter of personal taste. Some like the classic step design, some prefer the reverse.
Old 04-01-03, 12:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah thanks for clearing it up, peter. i think i have a better picture now. i know there is 540 and 540R HRE, where teh 540R is the reversed lips. by just looking at the rims can i tell if it's reversed lips? any pics for comparison? that'd help. on hrewheels.com they have the smallest possible pics and i couldn't see anything
Old 04-02-03, 01:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no one? :bigcry: the more i look at hre wheels the more i like them, i am hoping to purchase them soon. that's why i wanna figure all out about the reversed lip thingy. i even searched the internet and didn't come up with anything useful
Old 04-02-03, 04:27 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rom,
i'm the last guy to try to tell you something, but i think the difference in the lip is pretty large. i've been sent some very hi-res shots of a 543r and have seen the 546r, and comparing them too the original design, makes for a big difference. you've seen manaray's car...i have it on video and the lips and overall look are not as large as the R

seeing the originals yesterday at a local shop, i'd never buy HRE because of that. but the R makes the 546 very very intriguing. something for the IS, huh?
Old 04-02-03, 08:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bravo261
rom,
i'm the last guy to try to tell you something, but i think the difference in the lip is pretty large. i've been sent some very hi-res shots of a 543r and have seen the 546r, and comparing them too the original design, makes for a big difference. you've seen manaray's car...i have it on video and the lips and overall look are not as large as the R

seeing the originals yesterday at a local shop, i'd never buy HRE because of that. but the R makes the 546 very very intriguing. something for the IS, huh?
tempting tempting. so what do you mean "i'd never buy HRE because of that"?!?!?! you mean you would get the 540R coz' of the big lip? you think it's possible for you to send me the pics and video so i can do some comparison? check pm

still, more comments are welcome
Old 04-02-03, 01:40 PM
fboukari
Lead Lap

rom,

Bravo
Do you have Manarays car on video? I'm crazy about his car. I would do anything to have som clips of it. Can you help me out?
/Fredric
Old 04-02-03, 01:47 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

i think that a reverse lip is a nice/different look then most 3 piece wheels, however i personally like the step look from a 3 piece with out the reverse lip. But the reverse lip does look really nice, i think its more personal taste then anything else.
Old 04-02-03, 08:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Sleepyboi
i think that a reverse lip is a nice/different look then most 3 piece wheels, however i personally like the step look from a 3 piece with out the reverse lip. But the reverse lip does look really nice, i think its more personal taste then anything else.
so you saying reversed lips look very different from step? sigh...... i am having such bad luck here, don't even know the definittion of either of them
Old 04-03-03, 01:25 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by fboukari
Bravo
Do you have Manarays car on video? I'm crazy about his car. I would do anything to have som clips of it. Can you help me out?
/Fredric
sorry bud, my fiancee filmed at a meet and i realize i edited it almost all out of the final cut. it was a vacation to attend my first meet and i recorded too much in too many places. i'm sorry.

rominl,
i meant that i'd never get the classic because i don't like the look of the stepped lip. i barely picture myself buying $5k rims that appear smaller...but the R changes all that. i see a 546R is a choice one day
Old 04-03-03, 12:52 PM
fboukari
Lead Lap

sorry bud, my fiancee filmed at a meet and i realize i edited it almost all out of the final cut. it was a vacation to attend my first meet and i recorded too much in too many places. i'm sorry.

rominl,
i meant that i'd never get the classic because i don't like the look of the stepped lip. i barely picture myself buying $5k rims that appear smaller...but the R changes all that. i see a 546R is a choice one day
Ok Maybe I should ask Mike?
/Fredric
Old 04-03-03, 03:02 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

I dont see ANY difference in the wheels when i look at the pictures.

Old 04-03-03, 03:45 PM
Wheel Experts

the lip on the non R is like a "2 stage" it has a step in it - the 547R has a flat lip.
Old 04-03-03, 03:53 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by fboukari
Ok Maybe I should ask Mike?
/Fredric
yeah, you would have to ask him for pics of it. the one screen capture i have isn't the most clear detailed image available

mdw,

look at the spoke that points to 2 o'clock...see the reflection on the lip? on the bottom pic, you see a chunk of white reflection, but on the top pic, you'll see a small and brighter reflection running through that same part, which is the reflection of the stepped lip. chrome does make it a pain to see
Old 04-03-03, 08:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah i FINALLY realize the difference between stepped and reversed lips, yay! so actually most rims out there they are reversed lips

now i wonder, why it took hre so long to do the reversed lips?!

Quick Reply: what exactly is reversed lip and what's good about it