Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheel bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-15, 03:55 AM
sgtbilko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bolts

After I got a rear passenger side flat tire on the freeway the freeway patrol driver (not an AAA driver) who put on my spare bent one of the wheel bolts putting on the lug nuts. The mechanic where I had the spare replaced by a new tire removed the bent bolt and said the car will ride fine with 4 rather than the original 5 bolts. He indicated it was not necessary to replace the wheel component to which the bolts are attached. The car is an LS 430.
May I get a professional opinion on this? I recognize this is not an advanced question. Thanks.
Old 07-22-15, 02:57 PM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgtbilko
After I got a rear passenger side flat tire on the freeway the freeway patrol driver (not an AAA driver) who put on my spare bent one of the wheel bolts putting on the lug nuts. The mechanic where I had the spare replaced by a new tire removed the bent bolt and said the car will ride fine with 4 rather than the original 5 bolts. He indicated it was not necessary to replace the wheel component to which the bolts are attached. The car is an LS 430.
May I get a professional opinion on this? I recognize this is not an advanced question. Thanks.
I urge you to speak with a different mechanic.

my other car is a Mercedes sedan. when I was putting on a spare tire, I accidentally stripped one of the lug bolts.(Mercedes don't use lug nuts) I tightened the other 4 bolts and left the stripped on in place. I drove to the Mercedes dealership 5 miles way. They took the stripped bolt out. They then rethreaded that hole and put a new bolt in. The whole process only cost $30, plus $8 for a new bolt. Total $38. (could have saved another $10 if I had a coupon with me)

I think my life is worth more than $38, no?

You don't want to end up on YouTube videos like this:

Last edited by sarah; 07-22-15 at 03:03 PM.