Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Bridgestone vs Dunlop

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 10:34 AM
stevec
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridgestone vs Dunlop

SC430s come from the factory with either Dunlop or Bridgestone tires (at least in the Eastern region). I've heard rumors that people have been advised to stay away from the Bridgestone Potenzas because of problems after a several thousand miles. Does anyone have any information on that and maybe what kind of problems to look for?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-23-04, 11:27 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

I just changed out the Bridgestone's on my wife's SC430 after 22,000 mi. Two of the tires were bald on one edge, due, apparently, to an alignment problem. But otherwise they all had quite a bit of tread left and had never given any problems. And almost all of those miles were on city streets (not freeways). So I really can't complain about them at all.
Old 01-24-04, 09:27 AM
MSBoy
Lead Lap

Well, I haven't heard any major problems with Bridgestone tires. The only thing that I found to be noteworthy about Bridgestone S03s is that they tend to wear quickly and make a LOT of noise as they wear! I can't speak for any of the other Bridgestone models though.
Old 01-27-04, 01:20 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE040 Runflat for SC430

Here is a copy from a previous post I made about these tires...

"While Original Equipment tire design is integrated into the development of new cars, it doesn't necessarily stop when the vehicles are introduced.
During the Lexus SC430 luxury hardtop convertible's first two years, it has been equipped with three similar, but visually different versions of the Bridgestone Potenza RE040 RFT tires in the 245/40R18 size. These versions represent examples of how Bridgestone is working with Lexus to expand the envelope in Ultra High Performance run-flat tire wear, ride and noise qualities.

Original Specification

Identifier "PZ"
BS Article Number 103-721
TTR Part Number 44ZR8RE040RFT
Status Discontinued and no inventory remains at
Bridgestone or The Tire Rack.

Second Specification

Identifier "VZ"
BS Article Number 149-940
TTR Part Number 44ZR8RE040RFTRP
Status Discontinued and no inventory remains at
Bridgestone. Tire Rack has limited inventory.
Distinguishing feature Revised rim protector

Latest Specification

Identifier "NZ"
BS Article Number 149-940
TTR Part Number 44ZR8RE040RFTNZ
Status Only spec that BS will provide into the future
Distinguishing feature A 1/2-inch wide solid tie-bar connects the
inner portion of the shoulder blocks near the
first circumferential groove. This makes the
lateral grooves of the standard Potenza RE040
design become notches in this design.

Bridgestone Japan Technical group advises there are no restrictions on mixing the tires. They have tested all the various combinations of old and new specifications (1+3, 2+2, 3+1, etc.), so from a technical standpoint, it is acceptable to mix and match any of the 3 specs on the same vehicle.

While The Tire Rack currently has a limited inventory of the "VZ" spec, and the new "NZ" specification, all inventory currently being shipped by Bridgestone is the new specification, which is taking over the same Article Number (149-940) as used on the now discontinued "VZ" spec."

I believe the latest Spec of this tire will be the best riding and quietest version.
Old 04-10-15, 03:23 PM
SkyScout
Driver School Candidate

Default Bridgestone Potenza RE040 RFT

My wife's 2006 SC430 is hardly used. It currently has 23,000 miles on it (car was purchased new in September 2006) I dumped her first set of Run Flats at about 4,000 miles (Dunlaps, which came w/ the car), and replaced them with the Bridgestone Potenza RE040 RFT.
Huge difference.
However, here we are several years and 19,000 miles later - and the Potenzas tread is nearly down to nothing.

What to replace them with?

She's decided she does not like the Run Flats. So we are looking at:

Yokohama's YK580
Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season
Continental ExtremeContact*DWS
Michelin P2

Any recommendations??
Old 04-29-15, 12:04 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I know the RE040 runflat left a lot to be desired, but you should look into the Bridgestone Driveguard. It is a newer runflat technology that is nowhere near as horrible as some of the original runflat stuff.

I've driven on them and gone are the harshness and heavy feel of the older style runflat tires. Also, they are a little more touring versus sport, so they will last longer and wear better overall. This way you aren't stranded should you get a flat tire also.

Out of the tire selections you have listed, I'm not a huge fan of any of the above aside from the Michelin's. If you are looking for a nice, quiet, all-season touring tire, Michelin HX MXM4 or Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
Old 04-30-15, 01:43 AM
DaddyYow23
Driver School Candidate

Taking note of this for reference. Im planning to buy new set of tires for my ride. Thanks!