Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

My tire situation helppppp

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 12:11 PM
Nighthwkgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My tire situation helppppp

So i had purchased a brand new 2014 lexus gs350 awd and i am loving the car it is worth every penny but the problem which came upon to me is that the tires that came on the car are the dunlop sp 050 Summer tires where i live in nyc where we just had the worst winter pounded with snow so i was thinking to get all season tires or go grab some winter tires since i have an extra set of rims what would u guys do please input....
Old 10-12-14, 01:15 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although this is all season to winter, this thread may help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ter-tires.html
Old 10-12-14, 03:34 PM
Nighthwkgs
Driver School Candidate

But some of my friends tell me they were fine in the winter time with these tires since the gs is awd does anyone have any reviews with summer tires in the winter will they be fine in the winter time?
Old 10-12-14, 04:24 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

You'll kill yourself with summer tires. People seem to think that AWD is the answer to all snow / ice related problems, it is not. AWD is useless when you don't have a proper set of tires.

If I had a second set of wheels with no tires, I would definitely buy winter tires. Nothing can beat those! The all seasons are good too and will work for the most part, but they are not that great when it comes to ice and deep snow.
Old 10-12-14, 06:54 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would strongly advise against summer tires for winter use. Most summer tires aren't rated for cool temps so they'll wear prematurely and in snow will be useless. All season tires are ok at everything but really good at nothing.
Old 10-13-14, 01:18 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

All season tires are not good for winter season even for summer season... Buy two sets of tires and be safe. It's better to spend some money for good rubber
Old 10-13-14, 04:56 AM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Surprised you ended up with summer tires on your GS350 AWD. My GS350 AWD F-Sport came with all seasons.

Definitely get at least all seasons - most rubber on summer tires are not designed for temperatures below 40 degrees - even in dry conditions, the rubber on summer tires will be significantly harder in cold temperatures which can cause the rubber to crack or result in extreme wear on the tire not to mention less than optimal traction in cold temperatures (harder rubber = less traction)

Example of this recommendation: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=220
Old 10-13-14, 09:52 AM
alSpeed2k
Driver

I agree with Sniip3r, do not drive with Summer tires during the winter. I'm in a similar predicament with our CPO 3GS AWD. When we bought the vehicle, I didn't realize the car came shod with summer tires, I took her out after a light dusting of snow. On the major roads it was fine, but on a lesser used arterial road, with a slight incline, my car couldn't stop. Slid through a stop sign, luckily there wasn't much traffic and a taxi saw me sliding and stopped to let me by. Yeah, it was scary. I was dumb to assume the car would come with all-seasons. Never took her out when there's any chance of snow since. Now I am debating whether to buy a set of 17" snowtires & rims or a set of high performance all-seasons (Michelin Pilot Sport AS3).
Old 10-17-14, 08:41 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

I have compiled a lot of information at the top of this section for winter tires and all season tires.

As someone else mentioned, if you already have a spare set of wheels, for winter use, nothing will be better than a winter tire. Also, winter tires are for winter use. Winter use is defied as temperatures below 45deg (f).

You do not want to use your summer tires in winter. They are designed for temps above 45deg (f).

-AJ
Old 10-17-14, 07:17 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Frick. I'm asking for tires for Christmas.
Old 10-30-14, 02:01 PM
Nighthwkgs
Driver School Candidate

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261644935243

Couldnt post this on the classifieds for some reason but if anybody is interested check these tires out
Old 12-25-14, 12:28 PM
Nighthwkgs
Driver School Candidate

Ended up getting hankook noble s2 all season they were not expensive only 110 each tire on tirerack with the road hazard insurance included and they are fantastic the car grips the road and the rode is smooth eating up all the potholes and bumps in this city
Old 12-26-14, 11:55 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nighthwkgs
Ended up getting hankook noble s2 all season they were not expensive only 110 each tire on tirerack with the road hazard insurance included and they are fantastic the car grips the road and the rode is smooth eating up all the potholes and bumps in this city
Thanks for the order!