Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What makes a wheel a "KNOCKOFF?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-03, 07:38 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What makes a wheel a "KNOCKOFF?"

This is a question for the wheel gurus.....what actually makes a wheel a knockoff? I know that you have major manufactures that do the R & D as well as are first to introduce the product. There is also a issue of cost "Recognized Brands" are more expensive. But when it comes to the issue of quality where or what areas specifically do the knockoff brands lack?

For instance i was reading a thread comparing the Diablos and LD 1's... What exactly do a wheel like the LD 1's have that the Diablos don't or what is it in the manufacturing process that make them differ?

I don't have knockoffs. I currently have 17' Niche' Neptunes (discontinued style) which i have had on the car for like 5 years. and i have had brands such as "Elite" in the past. One thing i have noticed is the chrome plating process is much better on my wheels as they look just as good today as they did 5years ago. no chips, fading, or discloration. Are there other factors beside the chrome plating that i should be aware of?

and does anyone here have or know of someone who purchased some Diablos (for example) and have had specific problems with them?

P.S. I don't care about customer service, that should be a given. But once you select your size what do you need customer service for anyway?
Old 02-28-03, 08:47 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when a co does not come up with their own design, but merely make copies of other well known brands...
Old 02-28-03, 11:29 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

For example when you go get $10.00 on pump 3 some skittles and a Movado or Rololex.
Old 03-01-03, 12:28 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Knockoff are copies of other wheels. There are some decent quality knockoffs but that's rare. There are also "fake" wheels like 1-piece wheels that "look" like a 3-piece wheel. For example, Diablos are 1-piece wheels that look like 3-piece wheel whereas the LD1 is a REAL 3-piece wheel and of course, the LD1 is a QUALITY wheel.

It's like a Folex vs. a Rolex. Which would you really have? And if you knowingly wear a Folex, that to me says something about that person...

Most Knockoffs are made as cheaply as possible. They're heavy and of low quality. That doesn't mean they'll blow up when you hit a small pothole, but some of them don't balance well, some aren't exactly round...most of them have low quality finishes...remember, these companies don't care about their image, they just want to make money. So they'll make the wheels as cheap as possible and sell it for as much money as they can get.

With the companies that make original wheel, there is pride in their products. Pride in the workmanship.
Old 03-01-03, 01:17 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

It's like a Folex vs. a Rolex

We call them Polex's over here
Old 03-01-03, 05:48 PM
Lead Lap

Hey Manaray, What's the advatange of having a 3 piece wheel as opposed to a one piece. I know that the 3-piece wheels are more expensive and many look real good. Not to mention i haven't seen a knockoff company making one. But the average Joe wouldn't know the difference in design, only whether it looks good or not. I am assuming that a 3-piece wheel may be lighter?

I am not asking all these questions to justify a future knockoff purchase cuz i am a "Brand Name" kinda guy. However, the differences in quality are not easily quantifiable in every product.
Old 03-01-03, 06:25 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

actually mr.bond...as in james bond...in many cases you CAN tell the difference between a good quality wheel vs. wannabes...
Old 03-01-03, 06:34 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

"But the average Joe wouldn't know the difference"
"However, the differences in quality are not easily quantifiable in every product."

No but it is a matter of integrity to some people. Are you the type of person who would see an item at the Louis Vuitton store for say $700 then go down to the guy on the corner and pick up knock off for $125? Why be fake, either you can afford the real deal or you cannot, no one will look down on you for going to the Coach store and spending $300 on something you could afford. Quality is a big issue with me, but I could also never knowingly go and buy a knockoff product to act like I can afford the real deal. This is just one aspect of why not to buy knockoff items. Quality, functionality and the matter of personal integrity are major items when most people spend money.

Last edited by jpa2400; 03-02-03 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-01-03, 06:47 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

"wall st"..one of my all time favs.. movies
Old 03-01-03, 07:00 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly what JPA said...also, like GS4Will, I can see the quality differences easily...take a look at some Diablos and then go look at the real deal, the Lowenhart LD1. You'll see the difference!

Contray to what most people think, I'm actually NOT a brand name type guy...I buy based on quality/performance. For example, I won't buy Bose because I know for the money, there are better speakers out there (like B&W for example)...many of the things I buy, people have never heard of...

There really is no excuse to buy knock-offs IMO...like JPA said, if you can't afford the real deal, you can't afford it...people have to come to terms with that. There are other wheels/designs in every price range, there is no need to buy a knock-off of a higher end wheel...
Old 03-02-03, 02:18 AM
Lead Lap

I hate Bose too.... Very OVERRATED... I will not buy a car with a Bose system in it. Or if that day comes when i fall in love with a vehicle where it is standard i will gut the system. Everyone i know with a auto Bose system.. has problems with speakers blowing, amps going out. and they never seem to have that nice bass i like. Plus all the Bose systems i know of arent interchangeable with other audio manufacturers.
Old 03-02-03, 05:19 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, Bose uses self powered speakers so it just messes everything up...I can't stand Bose car systems...they suck...the newer ones are OK but even my '92 SC400's stock Pioneer system blows away a lot of the newer Bose systems...their home systems are better (compared to other systems) but for MUCH less money, you can get sound just as good...and for the same amount of money, you can get MUCH better stuff...
Old 03-02-03, 09:16 PM
LexFather

It ain't even about the wheel. It's about "knock-off" which means:

Made to replicate something but not made of same materials and hella cheaper.