Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

18" ADR wheels, Sterling and M-classics, any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-03, 09:44 PM
GinoRin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18" ADR wheels, Sterling and M-classics, any opinions?

I am looking at either the Chrome 18x8 ADR sterling wheels, or possibly the ADR M-classics. Does anyone have some pics they could show me of their ride, and who has the best deals on them? I am looking for wheels and tires, most likely a 245/40/18, but possibly a 275/35/18 in the rear if I can get a 18x9 wheel. I have seen just the wheels on ebay for pretty reasonable ($800 for the chrome sterlings, 650 for the silver ones, and 800 for the M-classics) but if a Club vendor or board member has them at a competitive price with tires, I would much rather go that route. Oh, I have a Cinnabar 98 GS400, stock height.

Thanks!

Gino
Grinaldi@wi.rr.com

Last edited by GinoRin; 02-17-03 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-17-03, 10:50 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to say it, but your GS deserves better. Stick around here a while and do some research and I think you'd have a hard time putting those on your car with a clear conscience.
Old 02-17-03, 11:22 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Hey, not to get this into a debate, but honestly I don't see anything wrong with ADR rims, yes they are knock offs... yes Lexus should have better rims, but those rims are not garbage, they are just not as good. I have no idea what I will get my car, hopefully not ADR, but if need be ... I will .

GinoRin do a search around, I think GS_Pusher has 20s on his, he likes it a lot I think... looks pretty good. I haven't seen the sterlings on ebay for 800... the price I see is 899 for chrome 18s and 740 for true diamond cut. Email wheelsbotique they are a vendor for CL and they will probably be able to help you out. I have a different vendor I might be going through. Also those M-classics, I don't see them, but you might be able to get those 18x8 and 18x9...

Anyways good luck, and like Kyle said, buy some real rims ... if you can. BTW Sterlings are a knock off to HRE BR5... Zenneggi makes a wheel called vega which is another knock off.

And 19s will fit better... if you can get those (If you go through ebay the guy has 19s as well)
Old 02-19-03, 12:14 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're saying "hopefully not ADR", why would it come down to "NEED BE"? Your car doesn't NEED to have aftermarket wheels. The ONLY reason why you would get it because you don't have the money to get something better and you're *deperate* for wheels...don't be desperate....just save up and get the ones you really want...you'll never regret that.

The Sterlings are knock-offs of the Lowenhart BR-5's (not HRE... )..."Zenetti" is also another low end knock-off manufacturer...seriously, why are you going to do that your LEXUS?! Don't treat it like a frickin' Honda Civic....

I would also do a 18x10 with a 275, not a 18x9...
Old 02-19-03, 06:36 AM
GinoRin
Pole Position

Well, here's the deal:
I would love nothing more than to splurge and buy a nice set of wheels for the lexus, and I will, but right now I have the stock base 16" wheels that need tires. It would be foolish for me to spend money on new tires for the stock 16s when they're as ugly as they are. I would love nothing more than a set of stock chrome 17s, but everyone wants $1500+ for them! If I'm spending that, I might as well get an 18" wheel in a design I like. The only reason I wanted to go with an ADR was because it's in my pricerange right now and I need to do something soon. I'm sure over time I'll get more money together, but hey, I just bought my GS400 a week ago and I just bought a new Borla exhaust on monday, so the funds are geting a little tight! No to mention I have a 10 Second Buick Grand National that got about $25k worth of attention this winter! I have been looking around for a nice quality wheel and tire combo used, but everything I have seen has either been Ghetto fabulous or not in the right offsets I need. I just want a nice clean look. Anyone have any recommendations for me that will keep me around the $1500 range? I was just looking at ADR because of the cost factor.... Oh yes, and my Grand National has a set of Fikse FM/5s, so I don't cheap out when it comes to wheels, I'm just damn broke right now, and I need to do something fast as the tires are SHOT on my GS Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gino

Last edited by GinoRin; 02-19-03 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-19-03, 06:44 AM
LIGHTBEING
Rookie

I have a set of Lowenhart BR5's 19x8.5 +45 offset if you are interested. Only used for 2 months.
Old 02-19-03, 02:15 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hehehhee....ask and you shall receive! Damn, talk about good timing!

Hey Gino, do you have picts of the GN? I'd love to see your setup!

As for the 16" dilemma...well don't you need WINTER tires for the GS? I wouldn't want to roll around on 18's in the snow...why not get some 16" winter or all season tires and just drive around on those (cuz during the winter, you're going to want to do that ANYWAYS) and then save up for some better wheels?

I mean 16's are cheap...you should be able to get some for not much money...it's not like they're going to waste...now if you were in California or Arizona or something, I could see how useless your stock wheels would be...but in Wisconsin, I would think you would want to have a seperate winter setup, no?
Old 02-20-03, 12:09 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Phoenix88
BTW Sterlings are a knock off to HRE BR5... Zenneggi makes a wheel called vega which is another knock off.
BR5 knock-off without the fake rivets at least. so, do they not know how to copy? or why not closely copy the original why you're at it? life as a knock-off manufacturer must be fun

oh, and the Vega is a copy of Weds, like those of bitkahuna and 1sicklex

Gino, i feel your pain of not being able to throw money at rims so don't feel so bad about getting something less than the best. at least you know the difference, have fikse elsewhere, and aren't telling yourself adr are great.
Old 02-20-03, 11:03 AM
GinoRin
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies guys... It would definately be cool to get those Lowenharts, I'm just waiting for the guy to get back to me on the price and other information. I do plan on keeping the 16s for winter wheels, but they need to come off NOW
I am also looking at the JDM 18s as well as Konig Imagines if I can find a nice set of high-end wheels used.

As far as my GN, it's still "in the works" It been at tha paintshop for 2 years, and its almost done. Best time before I took it apart was 11.406@120.87, but that was with a real mild tune. The sick part is that there was nothing wrong with the paint or the rest of the car to begin with, I'm just a freak when it comes to how stuff looks, so it had to be perfect (hence my ebay name, perfect87gn). Anyways, here's some pics of the car after I tore it all apart and stripped it to bare metal:

www.cs-performance.com/pics/ginogn1.jpg
www.cs-performance.com/pics/ginogn2.jpg
www.cs-performance.com/pics/ginogn3.jpg
www.cs-performance.com/pics/ginogn4.jpg
www.cs-performance.com/pics/ginogn5.jpg

As far as mods, the list is extensive, I'll get into that when I have more time on my hands... hehehe All I can say is this year it should have no problem going DEEP into the tens and possibly tickle a 9 if I am lucky!

Thanks again guys.

Gino
Old 02-20-03, 01:40 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

I was thinking how about a set of L-Sportline Model IV Single Piece? They're only 360 a wheel silver and 520 chrome in the 18 inch variety. I know at least one of the wheel vendors here can help ya with that because they deal them to us! They are a quality wheel and not a knockoff. I was looking into these because I really don't have too much money right now and wouldn't be ridiculed because of what i already mentioned above. I attached a pic for you. Good Luck.

-Anthony
Attached Thumbnails 18" ADR wheels, Sterling and M-classics, any opinions?-m4singlepiecechrome_closeup.jpg  
Old 02-20-03, 04:19 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

I think someone on CL with an IS was selling a set. You can also go with 19" Moda R6, I think they look great on almost any car, not knock offs and you can probably sell them when you want better wheels.

Manaray I just say need be, cuz I always look at cheap stuff... then slowly want more and more, sort of upselling myself. As much as I think those ADRs are nice, they are ... just knock offs. It could be worse though couldn't it?
Old 02-20-03, 04:23 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Attached Thumbnails 18" ADR wheels, Sterling and M-classics, any opinions?-gs.jpg  
Old 02-22-03, 03:50 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Konig = Crap...do yourself a favor and stay away from those...