Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

My Chrome is peeling...What can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-03, 03:52 PM
CAmsRX3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Chrome is peeling...What can I do?

In May/June i chrome exchanged my stock Rx300 rims.. Before putting them on i put countless coats of wax(which the dealer said was good but i dodnt need that much protection, they will be fine) and even after I had them on i always washed and waxed at least once a week.

So now comes the winter time and it snowed a couple of times but i know salt was the worst thing for them so always after it snowed i would get a car wash quickly.. Well during my last car wash i noticed that the inside of ALL my rims are peeling away..one is really bad.. What can i do?? 2 friends of mine had done a chrome exchange from someone different than wher i bought mine and after 3 yrs they still have no peeling at all....WHt the Heck???
I called the company wher i got from and they said they probally pitted and ther not responsible.. Anyone know a way out of this mess??
Thanks,

P.s. Its beginning to snow here in NY and we're expecting up to 18Inches, Just my luck by the time i get my car washed again theyll be no more chrome left

Last edited by CAmsRX3; 02-16-03 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-16-03, 05:51 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Damn Cam.. That really sucks. Just take it back to the place where you bought them from and show them the rims.. Then see what they say..

BTW, I like the cans with the fatcaps in your sig... NICE...
Old 02-16-03, 07:17 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea,thisblizzard sucks.I'm inNYC for the weekend and I don't know if my flightback home is going to be cancelled tomorrow or not.
Old 02-16-03, 07:25 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Salt eats away at the rims quicker then you may think....even after a car wash...the crevices may still contain heavily salted water which is the worst thing for CHROME.

You should never let the rims see the winter. Getting them rechromed will not be cheap my friend.

Good luck.
Old 02-16-03, 08:15 PM
CAmsRX3
Driver

Originally posted by MrSypher
Damn Cam.. That really sucks. Just take it back to the place where you bought them from and show them the rims.. Then see what they say..
Syph,
i called and they want me to send them but then i wont have wheels on my truck:eek: and it will take two weeks.. Im thinking maybe i can send one at a time and put my spare on in the mean time so hopefully ill have them before the nice weather comes and all the CL meets..

Happy to see u like my Sig

GS4Fun.
I know salt is bad, But can the cause be because the company didnt do a good job in selaing them or something like that..It only snowed here twice since i had them and it happend to all 4 of them?

GOODrich,
From the looks of it ur flights probally cancelled but go have some fun in it!! and good luck on the trip back
Old 02-17-03, 06:21 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by CAmsRX3

GOODrich,
From the looks of it ur flights probally cancelled but go have some fun in it!! and good luck on the trip back
Yup, Im stuck here. This sux. I originally wanted to go back sunday but couldn't due to the airline promotion, so I was scheduled to leave monday. Well, that would have been okay except for this BS storm. Now, the earliest I can leave is wednesday morning. It was 55 degrees back home today!

There is a car outside buried in snow, all you can see is the tip of the radio antenna. I havent seen this much snow in 5 years when I used to live in Buffalo.

Arrrgh! This freakin sux!

Tim