Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

The Pros and Cons of 19inch wheels vs 18inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 07:12 PM
CarreraS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Pros and Cons of 19inch wheels vs 18inch wheels

Hi CLFers,

I've done the Searches and I can't really find any good answers. So I'm posting my question hoping to get some good responses and constructive feedback.

I purchased my 99 GS400 almost 2yrs ago and I'm now starting to take it down the slippery slope. I purchased the car with the suspension already lowered with 1inch springs and Bilstein shocks(not knowing this until recently) and I have the stock 17inch 5spoke wheels with 245/45-17 on all 4 corners. I love the way the car rides and I don't want to lose it if possible, it's not at all a harsh ride

I just did the 90K service a couple weeks ago thanks to John and Sandy @ EXACT Motorsports and I just purchased and installed myself the HKS Dual exhaust a couple days ago. Man those 120mm tips are HUGE!

Getting back to the main questions. I was all set with 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 running Front 245/40-18 and Rear 275/35-18. But after talking to folks and seeing GS400 pictures here on CL 19inch wheels definitely look the way to go. I've done the 20inchers on my truck and bent rims so 20s are out of the question for me.

1) Is the ride going to be a lot worst with 19inch wheels vs 18inch wheels?

2) I'm thinking about going with 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 front 235/35-19 rear 275/30-19. Will the profile be too low?

3) Will I run into any rubbing issues with either setup (18s or 19s) I'm looking at doing the "Conservative" look not the "FAT" setup.

4) Will I be bending rims if I go with 19s.

Here's a picture of my ride.

Thanks
CarreraS
Attached Thumbnails The Pros and Cons of 19inch wheels vs 18inch wheels-gs400.6.jpg  
Old 01-31-08, 11:20 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraS
A lot of this is situational:
- A comfortable passenger tire on 19' wheels will ride more luxuriously than a stiff performance tire on 18" wheels.
- The weight of the given wheel is also a consideration as the heavier wheel will strain the suspension moreso than the lighter wheel will.
- With tire selction and wheel selection being held constant, both will ride quite a bit stiffer than stock.
- The difference between the two will be pretty marginal.

I have 17" (+1" from stock) with high performance tires, and the ride is significantly stiffer as a product of the tires moreso than the wheel diameter. My 17" with high performance tires ride similarly stiff to my previous 19" wheels with high performance tires. My stock 16" with passenger tires are an entirely different story.

2) I'm thinking about going with 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 front 235/35-19 rear 275/30-19. Will the profile be too low?
That profile looks perfect for a GS. You want to keep the running diameter as similar to stock as possible to prevent encountering any speedo error and gearing alteration.

3) Will I run into any rubbing issues with either setup (18s or 19s) I'm looking at doing the "Conservative" look not the "FAT" setup.
So long as you keep the diameter of the tires within 1/2" of stock, you should not have too many issues rubbing the top of the tire with the fender well. All bets are off if you are on an aftermarket suspension with a drop. Many Club Lexus guys have rerouted wiring and pulled inner fender linings to prevent rubbing once an aftermarket suspension has been installed.

The width of the tires and the offset of the wheels has a significant bearing on the fitment being good or bad. Most scenarios where rubbing of a wheel and tire combination occurs are due to tires being too wide or wheel offsets being too negative or too positive.

More positive offsets will put the wheels closer to the strut, and rubbing could occur between the wheel/tire and the suspension. Less positive offsets will put the wheels closer to the fender, and rubbing could occur between the wheel/tire and fender. Many Club Lexus guys have modified their fenders to fit the least positive offsets possible on their vehicle for the flushest look possible.

Fortunately, the GS wheel wells are both generous and forgiving for a passenger car. Wide wheel and tire combinations up to ~11" wide and ~315mm tires can fit the car in the rear...which makes fitting a 275 tire on a 9.5" wheel pretty user-friendly.

This issue depends more on the quality of the rim than the diameter of the rim. I have encountered unexpected pot holes with my Supra TT wheels very harshly without bending the wheels in the least. With the 19" wheels I had previously, I would have bent a wheel. In fact, I did bend a wheel from a pot hole encounter. This is due to the OEM wheels being of a higher quality than the wheels I had purchased.

Simple casting methods (used effectively in OEM applications and -in many cases- unsuccessfully in aftermarket applications) leave irregularities in the molecular metal matrix of the wheels by design. A high quality cast will minimize the presence of these irregularities. A low quality cast will make these irregularities known when a weak spot on the rim encounters a rough patch of roadway.

More advanced forging techniques use heat and pressure to make the molecular metal matrix more regular. By design, forging results in a stronger, more consistent batch of metal. Forged wheels are more expensive due to the increase in production costs associated, but the quality and longevity of the rim is also significantly increased as well. Expect forged wheels to last the life of the vehicle.

--------------

In my opinion, either get high quality cast wheels or spend the money for forged wheels. Expect the high quality cast wheels to not necessarily be light; but, keep in mind that light and cast in the same breath will imply a lack of structural integrity. Expect the forged wheels to cost more but be stronger and weigh less. The lighter forged wheels will tax the suspension less and make the ride quality (as well as acceleration and braking performance) be preserved moreso. If the comfort of the ride is important to you, buy the most forgiving passenger tires that you can find in the given tire size. Any 30/35 series tire will offer better handling characteristics than the stock 55 series tire.

If I had the money, I would own a nice set of forged wheels that I would expect to last for the life of the car. Since I do not have unlimited funds, my money has been spent on OEM cast wheels that are more durable than the average cast wheel, so I can simply drive the car and not worry about fouling a wheel on the pot hole infested Indiana roadways.
Old 02-01-08, 08:00 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

let me throw in my 2 cents here real quick...

wheel construction... when it comes to pot holes and bumps and such on the road, almost all wheels bend as easy as the next... I have seen them all bent - forged, cast, OE, cheap, expensive... In fact, some OE wheels are noticeably weaker that even the cheapest of aftermarket wheels...

here's a personal testament - I ran two different sets of inexpensive, cast wheels, on my 3000GT for years, and never once bent a wheel - ran 245/40-18's on 18x8.5 wheels... I've ran 255/40-17's on inexpensive wheels on my AWD Talon that saw regular track use, and never so much as curb rash on those... Now, I have a set of relatively inexpensive wheels, 19" with 30 series tires, and still, not a single bend... All since 1997 when I first bought the 3000GT... I figure I've driven every bit of 200k miles and never a bent wheel, and they've all been inexpensive wheels...

At the same time, I've had HRE's, Volks, and just about every other high end wheel brought in to have sent off for repair...

So, although forged wheels are touted as strong and light and such, the reality of it is they can still be bent, almost, if not as, easily as an inexpensive cast wheel...
Old 02-02-08, 01:51 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

1- there wont be a Huge difference but you can definately tell. 18's are more comfortable.

2- should be fine, but go 245/35/ in front

3- you shouldnt rub at all with only an inch drop

4- there is more of a chance than the 18's because of tire size difference but you can bend any rim. just drive defensively!

performance wise i would choose 18's. style wise 19's or 20's.
Old 02-03-08, 09:12 AM
CarreraS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Everyone!

Blizzy: Thanks for the great insight and write up

Mitsuguy: I agree with you that expensive wheels aren't necessarily better built and stronger even though they say they are. I have a setup of custom built expensive Billet wheels on my Durango that I've bent a wheel.

400DGRZ: I definitely want performance over the Bling look. Even being lowered an inch I think if I went with 19inch wheels my car would still look 4x4ish and would sill need to be dropped more.

Thanks for the great feedback. In conclusion I'm leaning towards going with 18inch wheels probably 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 245/40-18 front and 275/35-18 offset for both wheels probably +38 front and +35 rear. With either Stern ST-7 or ADR M-classic

With this setup do you see any issues?

Thanks,
Old 02-03-08, 09:04 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

will fit just fine... rears will be close though - depending on the tire, you might need a mild roll...
Old 02-06-08, 03:12 PM
Shep34205
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

19" tires are typically a lot more expensive than 20" tires. Thats my one cent.
Old 02-06-08, 06:12 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Shep34205
19" tires are typically a lot more expensive than 20" tires. Thats my one cent.
Not necessarily... I don't understand why this theory has always been around... I'm sure there are instances in which 20" are cheaper, but from what I've seen, I just can't agree that across the board more expensive...

lets look at some performance tire comparisons...

275/35-19
Bridgestone RE050 - $268
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $332
Kumho Ecsta SPT - $175

275/30-20
Bridgestone RE050 - $291
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $332
Kumho SPT - $199

Here, 20" is more expensive than 19" (except the Sport A/S which is currently on special)

245/35-19
Michelin Sport PS2 - $325

245/30-20
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 - $386

Again, 20" more expensive...

So, this is definitely not the rule, but on average, same time to same tire comparison, you will find 19" cheaper than 20"

BTW, these tires were taken from Tire Rack...
Old 02-08-08, 06:54 PM
CarreraS
Driver School Candidate

As you can see my car is not slammed at all but its a lower stance than Stock height. Do you think if I were to go with 19inch wheels would it still look 4x4ish?

I saw a GS400 today with 19 and it didn't look right to me. I think the fender should be sitting about 1 inch above tire.
Old 02-09-08, 03:30 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

just do some math... what size tires are on there right now?

235/45-17 = 25.33" diameter (OE)
245/45-17 = 25.68" diameter (current)

275/30-19 = 25.5" diameter
275/35-19 = 26.58" diameter - fat setup

I'd prefer the 275/30 would be ideal and would be a hair shorter than what you have, but taller than OE a little still... making sure the wheel is not sunken in will be more important to appear to fill the wheel well than anything I believe... ~however~ larger diameter wheels with lower profile tires, although the same diameter as stock may still appear to have a bigger gap... not sure why, it's just an appearance thing though... lower her an inch and you'll be happy tho...
Old 03-24-13, 10:25 PM
BenES300
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi CLFers,

I've done the Searches and I can't really find any good answers. So I'm posting my question hoping to get some good responses and constructive feedback.

I purchased my 99 GS400 almost 2yrs ago and I'm now starting to take it down the slippery slope. I purchased the car with the suspension already lowered with 1inch springs and Bilstein shocks(not knowing this until recently) and I have the stock 17inch 5spoke wheels with 245/45-17 on all 4 corners. I love the way the car rides and I don't want to lose it if possible, it's not at all a harsh ride

I just did the 90K service a couple weeks ago thanks to John and Sandy @ EXACT Motorsports and I just purchased and installed myself the HKS Dual exhaust a couple days ago. Man those 120mm tips are HUGE!

Getting back to the main questions. I was all set with 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 running Front 245/40-18 and Rear 275/35-18. But after talking to folks and seeing GS400 pictures here on CL 19inch wheels definitely look the way to go. I've done the 20inchers on my truck and bent rims so 20s are out of the question for me.

Here's a picture of my ride.

Thanks
CarreraS
Any pics post rims? I have a 2003 ES300 that I am looking at getting wheels for and pretty much had the same questions that you had. Since the ES and GS kinda look similar that woud give me an idea as to how my car will look. Thank you.
Old 05-21-14, 02:24 PM
Michelex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking going with some toyota OEM Wheels like the highlander 19 and lexus rs350 19 and suggestion ? and for tire i will differently go with Michelin …..