Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

tire choices for 18x8 TSW Cadwell on my ES350

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-14, 10:24 PM
qboy3388
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire choices for 18x8 TSW Cadwell on my ES350

I just bought a set of 18x8 TSW Cadwell for my 08 ES350 today. So now I'm looking for tires. I found a really good deal on a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 Tires 245/50R/18 but I looked up on a website and it shows speedo error would be 4.83%. I'm just wondering if I'll have problem with those tires beside the speedo error? Any tire suggestions please? I'd like to keep the ride smooth and quiet. Thank you guys! I can't wait to put those wheels on!!!!!!
Old 05-16-14, 04:17 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a general rule, choose the size that are less than 3% error to avoid wrong reading in speed and miles on odometer.

The tires you choose are not high performance tires though. I think it belongs to "Grand Touring All-Season" so it will not provide you the best traction and cornering. I would suggest something like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (in the "Ultra High Performance All Season") which provides excellent traction and grip like max performance summer tires. This assumes you love driving the car hard.

If you are on the budget and care less about high performance, the one you choose should be good.
Old 05-17-14, 12:19 AM
qboy3388
Rookie

Originally Posted by FSportIS
As a general rule, choose the size that are less than 3% error to avoid wrong reading in speed and miles on odometer.

The tires you choose are not high performance tires though. I think it belongs to "Grand Touring All-Season" so it will not provide you the best traction and cornering. I would suggest something like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (in the "Ultra High Performance All Season") which provides excellent traction and grip like max performance summer tires. This assumes you love driving the car hard.

If you are on the budget and care less about high performance, the one you choose should be good.
Thank you for the useful info. How are those Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 compare to my stock Primacy MXM4 when it comes to noise? Thanks a lot again

Last edited by qboy3388; 05-17-14 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-17-14, 08:50 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I don't have them on my car but from many review on Tirerack, they are comparably quiet. They both are all season tires so should be more comfortable and quiet than dedicated summer tires.

The Pilot Sport A/S 3 performance (handling, traction, grip, cornering etc) is way better than the MXM4 for sure.
Old 05-21-14, 04:12 AM
qboy3388
Rookie

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I don't have them on my car but from many review on Tirerack, they are comparably quiet. They both are all season tires so should be more comfortable and quiet than dedicated summer tires.

The Pilot Sport A/S 3 performance (handling, traction, grip, cornering etc) is way better than the MXM4 for sure.
I think I'll give those Pilot Sport A/S3 a try! Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate it!
Old 05-21-14, 10:05 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

When you have them, I'm also really interested to hear your own personal review on it. Please share back your experience with that tire with our community. Thanks
Old 06-29-14, 01:35 AM
qboy3388
Rookie

Hey FSportIS, sorry for the late reply. It took me some time to find the right hub rings and the tires were on backorder. I finally have them on my car now. I upgraded from 17" to 18" so I don't think the comparison is fair but I'll share my thoughts anyways. First thing I noticed with these new wheels+tires is that the ride is noticeable bumpier like I expected but it is still acceptable. I can definitely feel all the bumps on the roads. Road noise is somehow worse than I thought it would be and I kinda miss my Primacy MXV4 already lol. It's not crazy loud but it kinda annoys me if I don't turn up the music a bit. Traction wise, I can definitely feel the tires grip better when I make turns at higher speed. But like I said, this comparison isn't fair because I'm comparing my old 17" primacy MXV4 to a new set of 18" new and wider Pilot Sport A/S3. I'm still having trouble with my new setup because sometimes I can kind of feel a bit of vibration when I drive at about 110km/hr to 120km/hr and sometimes at 70km/hr to 80km/hr. I have my new tires+wheels balanced twice already but I can still feel it. After having them balanced twice, it makes me wonder if it's just me not used to these stiffer rides after all. I'm still debating if I should find a different shop to have them balanced again. Any suggestions?
Old 07-02-14, 06:04 AM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I would encourage you to find a different tire shop and have them balance just the front wheels/tires for now. you will only feel vibration from poorly aligned front wheels/tires. Not the rear pair. Rebalance the front for now. Once the vibs disappear, you can do the rears if you choose to.
Old 07-02-14, 08:53 AM
qboy3388
Rookie

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try to find another shop and have them balanced again. It really annoys me. Can they tell if it's a bend wheel when they do the balance? I looked around online and some people find out they have a bend wheel after they do balance a few times and it really worries me... Thx again for your help !
Old 07-02-14, 10:19 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Some of your description is just that you are not used to grippy and stiff tires that give you more feedback and better handling. If you push the car a bit harder, you will see the tires do offer good traction at least way more than the tires you had before. The one you have before is all about comfort, long tread life and quietness but not good handling.

Regarding the balancing, bring it to another shop and also ask them to check the rims for any bend. Do alignment as well.
Old 07-07-14, 11:21 PM
qboy3388
Rookie

Like you said, I'm not used to the grippy and stiff tires and I know it. That's why I'm still thinking if I should have them balanced again. Maybe it's just how the tires are not a balance problem. Should I do alignment too? I'm pretty sure the alignment was fine before I put on the new tires&wheels. Every time I had them balanced, they came back with a few more scratches which I really hate to see. Mirror finish gets scratched so easily, every time I clean them I always see a few more minor scratches here and there.
Old 08-04-14, 10:19 PM
gunz369
Driver School Candidate

I put these 2014 OEM 18 inch rims on Yokohama Avids 225/45 7.5 width They feel smooth. I was having issues with my old wheels felt like a slight vibe so I upgraded.Never found out what it was but am happy
I upgraded.(My old rims were on new Bridgestone Turanza's)

<br/>
Old 02-21-16, 11:26 AM
Lexus081
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunz369
I put these 2014 OEM 18 inch rims on Yokohama Avids 225/45 7.5 width They feel smooth. I was having issues with my old wheels felt like a slight vibe so I upgraded.Never found out what it was but am happy
I upgraded.(My old rims were on new Bridgestone Turanza's)

<br/>

how come your car has that strip of plastic thing running down the doors, but most es350/s dont have it?