Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-03, 08:34 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wheels

OK folks, I'm tired of waiting for info on the conversion kit and would like to purchase a new set of rims. I want to stay with 18"s.

I checked "Discount Tire" and they have 162 different styles to choose from !!

Can you guys let me know what you think look best in your opinions ? I'm not sure if I want to go chrome or silver.

I do however want a wheel with an "open" look..........like a 5 spoke style.

Thanks !
Old 02-11-03, 08:48 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Larry, I would be more than happy to help you out. You really need to start with a few ideas. I would go with an setback rim and an adonized aluminum lip....looks a little like chrome. The rims are generally three piece. Start by looking at blitz rims and and etc and work your way down to the tire rack as they just dont have the nicer higher end rims. Also stopping at a local rim store might help as well, but please no pep boys and/or sears.
Old 02-11-03, 09:30 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Thanks Lex !

I should have mentioned..........I really don't want to spend more than $300 each for them.

Are there rims in that price range that will not "cheapen" the look of my car ?

Pep Boys had a nice set of wheel covers that looked like the old "Crager's" from the 60's...........I was thinking they might look pretty nice. Only $19. bucks !
Old 02-11-03, 12:06 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

No, I think $300 per wheel is a reasonable amount. When I bought mine they were $1000 per wheel, but thats for the size and width and again 3 piece. Funny thing is the sold knock offs for a 1/3 of the price. Ill look around, if i see anything youll be the first to know.
Old 02-11-03, 12:47 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$300 per wheel and you have a $60,000+ SC430? I think you can get some good 18's for around $450-500 per wheel, maybe less.

You could get the Lsportline 4, 1 peice for $360 silver and $520 chrome.

$300 a wheel in chrome will be tough man for a good wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Wheels-m4singlepiecechrome_closeup.jpg  
Old 02-11-03, 01:10 PM
daygo718
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry, try contacting Peter @ Wheel Experts (one of CL's sponsor vendors). He can probably get you into some nice wheels that fits your budget. I didn't know that the Lsportline's were only $360/ea in silver...nice quality wheel.
Old 02-11-03, 01:11 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Yes JPA.......$300 is the max I want to spend. I have two other cars that I "play" around with, lots of other hobbies and a wife that tells me I spend money like a drunken sailor.

$1,200. for a set of wheels on a $60,000+ car that I will probably trade in within two years is plenty.
Old 02-11-03, 01:13 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Hey ! I just realized I was "moved".

What does that mean ? And why ?

Did I screw up again ?
Old 02-11-03, 03:08 PM
CaliKid
Driver School Candidate

I really think silver or chrome depends on the color of your car as well as your personal taste. Everyone has or wants chrome wheels. I'm choosing bright silver painted wheels myself.

Some cars like Porsche 911's come with and look best with silver painted wheels. Most Lexus cars might look better with chrome wheels to most people because there are chrome parts (grill) on the body and chrome just says luxury (in most cases).

I like silver painted wheels because they have what I call a nice clean euro-look.

I'll be getting a red SC very soon and I won't tint the windows and it will have silver painted wheels. BTW' I think with cars like the sc, tinted windows tend to take away from the looks and give the car more of a bubble look (kind of like the VW Beetle).

Anyway if you go over to tirerack.com you'll see the wheels I've chosen. Mille Miglia Evo5's in 19x8.5 silver painted at $299 per wheel or $239 for 18x8.
Old 02-11-03, 03:12 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well $360 being silver and 18" 1 peice. I just grabbed that off a site.
Old 02-11-03, 07:58 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Yeah, why did we get moved? I dont know, I didnt htink it was bothering anyone and no one ever replies if it is anywhere else. Come to think of it, I dont know where else even is.

The rims are fine. I spent $6000 on rims and tires, my front right rim is a triangle. The adonized aluminum is shot, it almost wants to make you cry. I am going to send them out to get fixed soon, at least the one anyway. Different strokes for different folks. Some people prefer paying $60k for a car and not having money left over to waste on rims....others like having a cheaper car with lots of toys.

Larry, check out wheelmax.com they have some lower end "brand name" models. I was just in shock to find my RacingHart C5's there for like $400, they are the cheaper version though. I was looking into replacing my one triangular shaped rim, I came across a site...but not for $900. I do still need new tires, which will be $700....good luck though
Old 02-11-03, 08:04 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the post was moved because it was a question about wheels...it is now in the WHEELS forum...there's no secret CIA thing going on...

Anyways...why bother putting cheap wheels on a $60K car...why not just get the factory replacement centers (the ones that make that disc look like a 5-spoke...)...it's like $300 for all four and you don't have to change tires...hell, you don't even have to unmount the tires...
Old 02-11-03, 08:54 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Larry, just keep your eyes open on the Wheel Classified Forum.. I always see bargins...
Old 02-11-03, 08:57 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Larry and LexusSC430, are you two going to our NY ClubLexus meet this March 29th?? Here's the thread with the details...
I hope to see both of you there.. It's going to be great... Don't miss out.
Old 02-12-03, 08:43 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

I just posted a response on the thread you mentioned. I found it because you gave me a "link". I still can't find the wheel thread that was moved.

Why can't this just be in the general forum ? How come there are all these seperate catagories ?

Wouldn't it be easier you the moderator to review just one area and keep the catagory simply "SC430" ? When I did accidently find the "wheels" place, there was stuff about all Lexus models and not broken down by specifics.

It's a bit confusing to those of us that aren't familiar with site navigation..........whatever that is.

I'm not complaining, just asking.

Quick Reply: Wheels