Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

tpms stops working but now working again

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 08:12 PM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tpms stops working but now working again

So I bought some aftermarket wheels(here on the forums) I installed them on the car and everything was fine. A month later my friend installs new brake pads and new rotors for my car. He also rotates the wheels because they weren't in rotation. I installed them backwards left on right and right on left for both front and back. I get the car back and the "Check System" Light is on.

Took it to get an alignment a few days and asked the guy about my TPMS. The guy told me TPMS was not on the aftermarket wheels because the tube was rubber and not metal. He said he even scanned it and no sensors found. My first thought...when my rotors/brakes were getting installed they were removed(friend had the car for 2 days and brought it to 2 different shops because of problems).

Today I bring out my stock wheels and put them next to the car. I press the button under the steering wheel "Pressure Initial" popped up and the "Check System" Light was gone. So I put the wheels back in the house and start the car again. The "Check System" light is gone. Drove around for 20-30mins and the light didn't come back on.

So...do I have TPMS on my aftermarket rims or not? Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a delay before it realizes my TPMS from the stock rims are not in the area anymore? or what?
Old 09-20-13, 06:15 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Tpms sensors may only report when there is a problem. Which means the computer doesn't always expect them to be there, only to report when air pressure is low. Your aftermarket wheels most likely do not have tpms, but there is no tube, that is just a valve stem. There is a type of tpms that uses a normal looking valve stem, but generally not used on Lexus.

Also, the new wheels tpms would have to be programmed to be recognized.

Also a fair chance when you park, the computer reads pressures from the old wheels and tires which keeps the light off...
Old 09-23-13, 06:22 PM
echunks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if your new aftermarket wheels had TPMS sensors wouldn't they need to be specific to the year, make, and model of your vehicle? I think this is the case. I don't think you can use just any TPMS sensor for your vehicle, even if it was off a Lexus.