Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Michelin Pilot Super Sport advice

Old 05-02-13, 10:36 AM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Super Sport advice

Hey guys, my 350 needs some tires pretty soon and i was reading reviews on tirerack.com about the michelin pilot super sport... who has these and can offer opinions? I live in the SF Bay area, so its usually dry most months of the year. These tires are suppose to have tremendous dry handling. Can anyone offer their experiences with these tires?
Old 05-02-13, 10:39 AM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by panda08
Hey guys, my 350 needs some tires pretty soon and i was reading reviews on tirerack.com about the michelin pilot super sport... who has these and can offer opinions? I live in the SF Bay area, so its usually dry most months of the year. These tires are suppose to have tremendous dry handling. Can anyone offer their experiences with these tires?
Sorry I do not have any experience on these tires, but I also read the same review and would like to know any personal experiences as well because those are my next choice. Not bad pricing too for Michelins which usually cost an arm and a leg.
Panda did you read the test reviews? Those are all very accurate reviews since they test all the tires on the same 335i for years and years now.
Old 05-02-13, 11:19 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best summer tires I've ever owned. Will definitely buy them again.
Old 05-02-13, 12:54 PM
Gville350

Received 426 Likes on 382 Posts

Got a set waiting in the garage to be installed right now. I got the set due to great reviews and I basically got them BoGo.
Old 05-02-13, 04:21 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

those are what i bought, according to dealer they are not good for IS, and according to them, that is why i have all kinds of problems with the car pulling to the right. I found out the dealer will match any price on tires.
Old 05-03-13, 02:23 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed a new set of these tires and your dealer is WRONG, the tire don't pull,...you need a well done alignment, or you have a suspension issue.

So far they are better than the OE Dunlops I had previously and will be purchasing them again when the time comes.
Old 05-03-13, 05:31 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Just installed a new set of these tires and your dealer is WRONG, the tire don't pull,...you need a well done alignment, or you have a suspension issue.

So far they are better than the OE Dunlops I had previously and will be purchasing them again when the time comes.
Actually, it very well could be a tire pull issue, that is actually more common than alignment pull, but, not necessarily a detriment to those tires - it happens with all manufacturers...
Old 05-04-13, 05:17 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Unless one tire is under inflated or the belt has shifted it rarely happens in modern day tires...especially if they are new. In which case they should be checked by Michelin NOT the dealer. And covered under warranty.
Old 05-04-13, 07:17 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Unless one tire is under inflated or the belt has shifted it rarely happens in modern day tires...especially if they are new. In which case they should be checked by Michelin NOT the dealer. And covered under warranty.
The statistic stands at 1 in 1000 that have a noticeable pull

Been in the industry a long long time, I've seen many tires with pulling issues that go away when you rotate the tires front to back...

I also use a Hunter GSP9700 with StraightTrak on a daily basis - you have no idea how many tires have an affinity to pull just a little, but not noticeable in a car... Also, some tires are designed in with a slight amount of "pull" per se, Just one reason there are two different alignment specs for Chevy SUV's with 20" wheels, one alignment spec for Bridgestone Alenza's and another alignment spec for Goodyears...

I remember back in the day when my shop was one of many who had issues with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's on Mercedes. Michelin actually issued a bulletin partly thanks to our issues we had with those tires on Mercedes at the time, saying not to use them until they "fixed" the issue. After that was fixed, only after a certain wwyy DOT were we able to use them on a Mercedes, and then there no more issues with them...

So, it does happen, I've seen it first hand. Sucks warrantying out $1500 worth of tires and having a very unhappy customer because their 80k + dollar car pulls with the most expensive tires you can buy for it and having to put them in something lesser because there is a design issue with the better tire...
Old 05-04-13, 11:36 AM
tonnetje
Driver School Candidate

the best choice for me so far
including comfort
Old 05-05-13, 01:07 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

I have a set on my IS350 and I love them. Probably gonna replace them (they're getting thin I guess) within the year with a new set.
Old 05-05-13, 07:04 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
The statistic stands at 1 in 1000 that have a noticeable pull

Been in the industry a long long time, I've seen many tires with pulling issues that go away when you rotate the tires front to back...

So, it does happen, I've seen it first hand. Sucks warrantying out $1500 worth of tires and having a very unhappy customer because their 80k + dollar car pulls with the most expensive tires you can buy for it and having to put them in something lesser because there is a design issue with the better tire...
For sure you can have a tire that is out of spec but go back and read the poster's original comment. He goes to the dealer and complains about the car pulling, Instead of the dealer diagnosing the issue he tries to sell him a new set of tires!

When I got my Lexus new it had a pull/drift on the OE Dunlops, The dealer tried to fix it but FAILED, I took the car to a Lexus independent mechanic and he realigned the suspension and fixed it! And I only take my car to him for my alignments 'cause he knows his ****.

I love these new Michelin tires so far and will be going back to Andy to have them aligned.
Old 05-07-13, 08:39 AM
mball19
Rookie

Have you looked at the Continental DW? They are also a very good summer tire.