Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Advice Please: Newbie looking for staggered set-up on 2nd Gen GS430

Old 04-22-13, 02:23 PM
QAH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice Please: Newbie looking for staggered set-up on 2nd Gen GS430

Gents,
Fairly new to CL and love the wealth of info available here. I just purchased a 2001 GS 430 and am looking to replace the 20" Sevas 3-piece wheels on it. In addition to the horror stories I have read about Sevas, the chrome is beginning to peel and one lip is bent. Rather than fixing an already suspect product, I figured it may be time to go another direction.

Here is my current set-up:
* Front: 20 x 8.5 (Falken 245/30ZR20's)
* Rear: 20 x 10 (Falken 285/25ZR20's)
* Stop Tech BBK
* Tein Coilovers
* Full body kit

I really like the look and fitment of the current package and would like something similar going-forward. Since money is a little tight, I am leaning toward a one-piece wheel (but could be swayed otherwise.) Also, this is my daily driver and the streets in my area are harsh... I am thinking I may need a little more sidewall on the tires.

Some questions:
* What type of offset should I be considering? (BBK and daily driver... nothing too aggressive.)
* I like the chrome look (I guess I'm old-school and the car is white), but is peeling always an issue eventually? Should I consider a polished or machined look?
* What brands should I be considering on a $2K-$2.5K budget?
* Tires - will a different aspect ratio (sidewall) make much of a difference in the ride? If so, what sizes would you recommend? (assuming 20x8.5 and 20x10 again)

Sorry for all the questions, but I know there is a ton of knowledge around here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated... and links to wheels are encouraged! Thanks.

QAH
Old 04-22-13, 11:51 PM
GetUrWheel
Former Sponsor

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Quint, thanks for the e-mail.

We'll track down a few options for you that will work with your current requirements, including Big Brake Kit clearance, a softer ride, chrome/polished finish, and your budget.

In the meantime, do you have any preferences as far as style goes, aside from the finish? For example, are you partial to a 5-spoke look, or mesh? Does it have to have a deep dish/lip or concave look to the face?
Old 04-23-13, 07:57 AM
QAH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaning toward the 5-spoke look again, although mesh is growing on me (I always liked the OEM G-Spider's Lexus offered.) I like the concave appearance that seems to be hot now, but it is not a "must have." The deep dish/lip is not as important, but would be a bonus if we could find something that met my needs. And with a little more thought, I think I'm certainly leaning toward chrome.

At the end of the day, looking for a nice, clean, quality product that's going to hold up to daily use. TIA!