Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

companies that repair wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-02, 07:00 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default companies that repair wheels

specifically 18x8.5" - chrome - Altstadts Type IV's. The lips and inner lips need to be worked on. The center pieces appear fine.

If anyone can give me some names of business or if any of the Wheel people on CL would like to PM me, that would be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by hellasboy; 12-24-02 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-24-02, 08:55 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hella,

I really think for the amount you bent your wheels, you may want to look at claiming them on your insurance and getting new ones. I would not feel comfortable driving on wheels repaired after that much damage. However, it is your call. Hopefully you can find someone that will warranty the repair.

MW
Old 12-24-02, 10:49 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

there are co that advertise in the back of major car mags...i believe called wheel america(fixarim or something)
Old 12-24-02, 11:16 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info guys.

PCMW, I was considering that... I'm not sure though, I dont' want my insurance company to raise my rates so high that I end up paying more than what the wheels are worth. Maybe I will... If I do, is there any market for selling 2 perfectly good rear wheels?

or is it possible to buy the actual wheel part (excluding the center piece, it's a 3 piece wheel)? If so, any idea on how much those run?

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by hellasboy; 12-24-02 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-25-02, 03:56 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Hella,

From the looks of the tire marks you posted, ALL FOUR wheels are bent. The two fronts usually bend noticably because of the engine weight, but the rears will potato chip like a pringle too.

Un mount the tires and lay them flat on the garage floor. $20 says they are hurtin.

MW
Old 12-26-02, 01:23 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a place in Elkridge, Maryland called Ye Old Wheel Shop that can repair almost anything. They have done work for me and many of my friends in the past with great results. They do take awhile to get the job done due to the fact they are always busy and backed up. I dont have the # off hand, but if you call information Im sure you can get it. If its just the lips that are bent, they can be repaired, but you do risk some structural integrity. If the lips are really f@*ked, then you always have the option of getting new lips from the wheel company and having them installed by a reputal shop that is local to you. Although, arent the Alstadts discontinued? If so, I geuss that would be out of the question. Good Luck.
Old 12-26-02, 02:40 PM
Plum
Rookie

http://www.wheelcollision.com/[/URL]
Old 12-27-02, 05:48 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks!
I'm going to take off my rear wheels tommorow to check them out. I'll let you guys know what condition they are in <crossing fingers>
Yeah, the Altstadts have been discontinued, but they are made by Riverside, I'm pretty sure that Riverside has pieces left over or are using the same pieces for other wheels. It's a 3 piece rim, so hopefully they have 2 pieces, that might just cost the same as getting it repaired and plus, it'll be practically new =)

some pics of the (mainly front) rims can be found
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=68584
Old 12-28-02, 03:51 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Just remember that if you have chrome rims and get them repaired and rechromed, the overall strength of the rims is degraded. From some information that was given to me by a chroming shop, it can be as much as 30% weakness.

just some info
hi98gs
Old 01-18-03, 04:31 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Just thought I'd keep you guys informed on the happenings

The rear wheels are fine, no bends and they lay perfectly flat on my garage floor. The driver side front wheel also lays perfectly flat and I found a company that will repair that wheel (since the damage isn't too bad). I'm pretty much going to throw away the passenger rim (any suggestions on what I should do with it?). The damage on that one is bad... so ~900$ to repair and purchase a new rim... huge monkey off my back.

I had the suspension checked out... another monkey off my back The suspension checks out fine, its a little off center now but everything will be getting re-aligned soon (by hand!) A guy I now with a MB slk did something similiar and had 5k worth of damage. phew! I did damage the underside of the passenger side skirts though, you can't see it unless you look under the car. Not a big deal though.