Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Looking for my next set of tires.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 09:26 AM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for my next set of tires.

So I posted this is the LS forums but haven't gotten much responses, so hopefully more people can chime in here. I'm looking at getting a set of tire for my 20x9.5/10.5 wheels. While I'm not a huge fan of stretched tires, I'm a little concerned about rubbing with the +26F/+29R offsets. I'm basically considering 245/35 front and 275/30 rear tires if they'll fit, or I may have to downsize tires a bit. My front fenders are rolled flat and the rears are completely shaved. Basically I'm trying to fit the widest tire I can, give those specs.

With that being said, what are a few "moderately" priced options out there in those sizes? I guess if I had to list priorities they'd go something like this: Road noise, comfort, tread life and grip. Seems odd to have grip listed last, but realistically I drive the LS like a grand ma anyways and being as low as the car is, I'm not ripping turns anytime soon. I'm out in Hawaii BTW, if that helps in some of the recommendations. I've run Hankook V12's and was very happy with them. On the flip side, I've also run cheaper Nexen N3000's on my beater Forester and was equally happy with them. <<< Not sure if it's that's placebo effect, thinking that the tire was great because it was so cheap, but I never had any grip issues, they were quiet and lasted a long time. I've read a lot of good things about the General GMax and those are sounding pretty good as well. I do like the tread wear numbers and they seem to get positive reviews from a lot of different forums.

All in all, being that I'm a little budget conscious, I know I don't need the absolute best tire out there, but I'm certain I want something better than Sunny's or Nankangs. Haha, I wonder if I'm over thinking it? Should I just buy the Hankooks again and call it a day? Or is there something a little less expensive that fits the criteria?
Old 03-31-13, 09:03 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The V12 is an excellent tire. Hankook, Yokohama, and Michelin would be at the top of my list.
Old 03-31-13, 11:32 PM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaigaX
The V12 is an excellent tire. Hankook, Yokohama, and Michelin would be at the top of my list.
Agreed. We had V12's on my wife's Subaru Forester and loved them. In fact I swapped her wheels onto my beater Forester when we sold hers and even after 20k + miles, they're still going strong with lots of meat. I'm probably just going to stick with these again. The Generals look pretty good too, but there isn't a big cost savings, so I may as well stick with what I know works.