Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Quietest tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 12:13 AM
SCamp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quietest tires

Looking to replace the stock runflat Bridgestones on sc430...

My requirements are:
1) Quiet & comfortable ride (easily most important requirement);
2) Good wet handling; lots of wet 'round here, but little snow and I wouldn't drive the SC in the snow anyway;
3) Decent treadwear & lifespan.

Don't really care about:
1) Ultra performance, Z-rated; all-weather tires likely preferred, because, amazingly enough, I don't do a lot of +100mph driving. I do a fair amount of 100+ mile driving, but at a more leisurely pace.
2) Agressive, sexy, stylish tread/sidewall/bead (who are we kidding? )

Lowest price is not a requirement, but price is a consideration (I'll take a $200 tire over a $400 tire w/ similar characteristics, thanks).

What I've found so far from various sites/reviews:
* Yokohama AVS dB; apparently one of the quietest all-weather performance tires, excellent comfort, good wet & dry but terrible in snow (not an issue - I have the Subaru AWD for snow), decent wear. Currently my first choice.
* Michelin Pilot Sport; maybe not as quiet as the Yoko, better in snow, better treadwear, a little spendier.
* Toyo Proxes FZ4; noisier and less comfortable than previous, not as good in the wet either. Not best choice for me.
* KUMNO Ecsta Supra 712 - is this for real? Noisier than the first two, but otherwise rated very good all over -- and about 2/3 the price? Sounds too good to be true.
* Dunlop Sport 8080E. Too little info - anybody got 'em?
* Dunlop SP 9000; favorite here, but noisier than I want.

Anybody have any good or bad experience w/ any of the above? Anybody want to add a suggestion that fits my needs?

thank you all for a great forum!
Old 12-16-02, 12:14 AM
SCamp
Driver School Candidate

Oops, make that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S; Sport is also good, but not as close a fit for my needs.
Old 12-16-02, 02:36 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yokos avs es100 or avs db...great value and quiet...BUT then, i have always think the SP9000 is quiet too
Old 12-16-02, 09:42 AM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I put the Mich Pilot A/S's on my wife's GS300. You would not believe the fifference! Those tires totally transformed the handling characteristics for the better. They are very quiet and do handle extremely well in the snow.

I am so impressed (except for the $$$) that these are gonna be the replacements for my LS400.

With these you have the sexy look, aggressive but quiet tread, good snow and unbelievable handling.

Go to Michelins www. and use their tire selector thingy. It's cool.
Old 12-16-02, 12:15 PM
kvoman
Driver

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

BFG KDWS or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S were the choices for us.

Our criteria were similar to yours: Z-rated tires, 400-Treadwear Rating, AA-Traction Rating, A-Temperature Rating, and quiet.

We chose the KDWS because they were only half the cost of the Pilots and offer the same performance as the Pilots, plus BFG tires are manufactured by Michelin, so it was an easy choice for us being the price conscious consumers that we are.

Unfortunately, BFG KDWS do not come in the size for your SC so I think your best bet is the Sport A/S. Some have said that their Pilots are getting upwards of 50k miles.

The Dunlop 9000 only has a 280 Treadwear rating, the 8080E has only a 200 treadwear rating plus the blocks are the same as the Bridgeston so they will get loud as they wear down, which is probably not what you want to hear on the freeway in your SC. I have read horror stories on the Kumhos, and the Yoko AVS dBs get loud just after 10k miles and offer no noticeable noice reduction or traction improvements according to a Car-N-Driver test (I think it was a November or December '02 issue).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=63619. There's a comment in this thread from one of the GS owners about how loud his Yoko AVS dBs are.

Last edited by kvoman; 12-16-02 at 12:32 PM.