Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 11:04 AM
Magicks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

Hi everyone. I am an international student studying in California and I was planning on driving from Cali -> Oregon -> Utah -> Cali.

I am driving an is350(rwd) with summer tires so I was wondering if I really need winter tires or will all season tires work? Also, can anyone recommend tires and can someone explain to me about Rockys? I understood that it is a large mountain range and my friend's uncle was telling me this isn't a good time to be driving through rockys.

I am running 225/40/18 front and 255/40/18 rear with big brake kit.

It will be really helpful if someone who have driven from Oregon or Idaho to Utah(salt lake city) chime in on this. Thanks!
Old 12-26-12, 11:17 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what is your exact route but if there is no snow coming down, it could be ok with all season tires but if there is any snow coming down at all on high elevations specially over mountain passes at sierra and cascades it's not gonna be pretty. In fact, most high mountain passes will require chains even with 4x4

Originally Posted by Magicks
Hi everyone. I am an international student studying in California and I was planning on driving from Cali -> Oregon -> Utah -> Cali.

I am driving an is350(rwd) with summer tires so I was wondering if I really need winter tires or will all season tires work? Also, can anyone recommend tires and can someone explain to me about Rockys? I understood that it is a large mountain range and my friend's uncle was telling me this isn't a good time to be driving through rockys.

I am running 225/40/18 front and 255/40/18 rear with big brake kit.

It will be really helpful if someone who have driven from Oregon or Idaho to Utah(salt lake city) chime in on this. Thanks!
Old 12-26-12, 12:08 PM
Magicks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is the route

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=L...mra=ls&t=m&z=5
Old 12-26-12, 12:40 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a quick scan, that route doesn't look too bad. Maybe some people who are familiar with I-5 and I-84 sections can chime in. I thought Utah -> CA meant that you would be coming through I-80 and I'm more familiar with mountain passes at/near Reno/Lake Tahoe and those you definitely will need chains if there is snow.