Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Continental, Bridgestone, or Hankooks

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-11, 11:43 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Continental, Bridgestone, or Hankooks

Anyone got experience with these tires would like to share? Debating on which brand to get on my next set.

Tire size: 275/30/19

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...dex=73YR9PSSXL
Old 12-11-11, 07:51 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The ContiExtreme DWS (all season) are great. Bridgestone I only had on my Lexus as an oem tire and I wasnt impressed with it.
Old 12-11-11, 08:36 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That is a little vague... aside from size, what are you wanting out of the tire?

I've sold every brand of tire and my favorite for quality and overall performance is Bridgestone... Michelin is excellent as well... Never was very fond of Continental, but they have a few decent tires... Hankook - good for as cheap as they are, but thats it IMO...

Your link doesn't take us anywhere...
Old 12-12-11, 12:28 PM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Anyone got experience with these tires would like to share? Debating on which brand to get on my next set.

Tire size: 275/30/19

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...dex=73YR9PSSXL
Your link didn't work, which tires were you comparing?
Old 12-12-11, 11:52 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry about the broken link. I'm currently on Hankooks V12. But willing to try something new. Looking for something affordable, grip dry/wet, not loud and comfortable. I didn't list Michelins because I can't justify spending $300+/tire on a staggered setup. I'm currently on coils with zero gap.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Old 12-13-11, 05:39 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven all 3 of these tires and the dry/wet road grip will have to go to the Continental DW. However, for a GS I think the Bridgestone RE760 Sport will be the best for the money, this will be one of the softest, quietest performance tires you will ever drive. There is a very good mix of steering response/handling and ride comfort built into this tire which makes it a good fit for a Lexus GS. I have lots of customers that drive larger performance sedans such as this and absolutely love this tire.

Bridgestone RE760 Sport

Old 12-13-11, 06:12 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by zig@tr
I've driven all 3 of these tires and the dry/wet road grip will have to go to the Continental DW. However, for a GS I think the Bridgestone RE760 Sport will be the best for the money, this will be one of the softest, quietest performance tires you will ever drive. There is a very good mix of steering response/handling and ride comfort built into this tire which makes it a good fit for a Lexus GS. I have lots of customers that drive larger performance sedans such as this and absolutely love this tire.

Bridgestone RE760 Sport

I completely agree... for as cheap as they are, the RE760's have been a great tire...
Old 12-13-11, 08:15 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I will give the Bridgestone a try. But why would you prefer the Bridgestone for the GS when you say the Continentals are better?
Old 12-13-11, 09:25 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I will give the Bridgestone a try. But why would you prefer the Bridgestone for the GS when you say the Continentals are better?
I think he is trying to say that outright grip may go to the Conti, but, overall comfort and value to the Bridgestone...
Old 12-13-11, 11:47 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I read that these tires will go noisy as they wear true?
Old 12-14-11, 05:27 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Yes they will get louder as they wear. Had this issue with mine on my Lexus. I switched to the Conti and IMO it was an all around better tire. I drive my cars hard. The DW is a step up and geared for towards performance and this is your best option. Many of the 3gen GS owners have made the switch to these tires.
Old 12-14-11, 05:59 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

ALL tires will wear and get loud on your car if you are not able to rotate them appropriately... Sometimes you will get lucky, sometimes you won't...
Old 12-14-11, 07:39 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Im on my 2nd set of PS2's and I havent heard them get louder?

OP this may help if you go all season:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/whe...5-30-19-a.html
Old 12-14-11, 09:57 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Keep in mind i got staggered setup so i cant rotate my tires. The Hankooks are too soft for me but they are quiet. Im looking at performance tires not all season. So the debate is the Continentals or Bridgestone that i have listed. Im looking for performance, good tire wear, and not noisy.

Want something to last about 20K miles and still perform good after 10K mile good without being noisy.

Setup is 235/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rears. Wheel gap is zero.

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 12-14-11 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-14-11, 06:07 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Keep in mind i got staggered setup so i cant rotate my tires. The Hankooks are too soft for me but they are quiet. Im looking at performance tires not all season. So the debate is the Continentals or Bridgestone that i have listed. Im looking for performance, good tire wear, and not noisy.

Want something to last about 20K miles and still perform good after 10K mile good without being noisy.

Setup is 235/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rears. Wheel gap is zero.
What you are asking for is a crapshoot, to say the least... My last RE050's, in 285/30-19s seemingly lasted forever and wore perfectly...

No matter what tire you put on there, some combination of driving style and alignment can cause the tires to wear unevenly on the inside edges - this is why we rotate tires to start... Unfortunately, nothing can be done in your situation, save rotating the tires side to side to at least get them to spin different directions, which will help, and is also why I try not to recommend directional tires in staggered fitments... directional tires have to come off the wheels to rotate side to side...

edit: I'm convinced it has to do with alignment, or lack thereof, but can't pin it down to anything specific, as I've seen cars that have their alignments perfect, yet still have irregular wear...

Quick Reply: Continental, Bridgestone, or Hankooks