Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire Assistance Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 04:45 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Tire Assistance Please

My Michelin tires are done with. I don't have enough money to spend $200 on each tire for some more Michelin's. What are some good ones that I can buy on a budget?? The cheaper the better. I don't want to put trash on my car but I'm a student and can't blow that much again. Thanks.
Old 12-02-11, 09:17 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher
My Michelin tires are done with. I don't have enough money to spend $200 on each tire for some more Michelin's. What are some good ones that I can buy on a budget?? The cheaper the better. I don't want to put trash on my car but I'm a student and can't blow that much again. Thanks.
There are many great options out there for you. If you want something similar quality as Michelin, but generally less expensive, Bridgestone is a great option. Many other great manufacturers out there as well - what size or type of tire did you have in mind? If you are unsure, perhaps you could be more specific about your current tires and what you would have changed about them (or if they were perfect)...
Old 12-03-11, 06:29 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you give us the vehicle they are for and the size I'm sure we can recommend some good low cost options.
Old 12-03-11, 03:48 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Its an 02 ES and 215/60-16 is the stock tire size. I'm in Houston so I don't need any for snow or harsh weather.
Old 12-04-11, 04:57 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Its an 02 ES and 215/60-16 is the stock tire size. I'm in Houston so I don't need any for snow or harsh weather.
So, in that tire size, there are a ton of options... A hard deal to beat in that size is the Bridgestone Grid G019... Tire Rack has them for $79, and although they are the cheapest tire in your size with the proper speed rating for your car, they are also a pretty decent tire... My grandmother has them on her ES330, and is perfectly happy with them... Bridgestone quality, for sure... Next tire up, that I have had good experience with, is the Yokohama Avid TRZ... $93 a piece there... My absolute favorite tire in that size, for your application, is the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity... Extremely good ride, quiet, wet weather traction amazing, etc... $136 a tire there... You would be as happy or happier with those than the Michelins...
Old 12-06-11, 09:55 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Thanks man
Old 12-08-11, 09:01 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If snow and ice are not a big concern another good tire is the Yokohama Avid Envigor. This is a very good dry and wet tire with pretty good mileage at 60K, these are right around the same price as the Bridgestone G019.

Yokohama Avid Envigor

Last edited by zig@tr; 12-08-11 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-08-11, 09:43 PM
funcrusher
Racer

These were also recommended. Quite a few choices to go with. Did everyone order their tires online and pay a mechanic to rotate them every 5k miles?? I bought mine at a tire shop and was able to get them rotated free because of the warranty. I dont want to pay someone to rotate them every few months....just thought about that.

General Exclaim UHP's
kumho ecsta lx platinum
Old 12-18-11, 01:34 PM
funcrusher
Racer

I ended up going with Michelin Destiny's from Autozone. Does anyone have experience with them? I'm happy so far.
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele.../destiny-tires
Old 12-18-11, 01:42 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I ended up going with Michelin Destiny's from Autozone. Does anyone have experience with them? I'm happy so far.
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele.../destiny-tires
Autozone? Never heard of Autozone selling tires, and, typically, the Michelin Destiny is only available through Discount Tire and America's Tire, as it is specifically made for them.

One other problem is that those tires do not meet the same specs as the OEM tires on your car. Your car came with a factory speed rating of V. This means that it has a relatively high performing tire on there with relatively stiffer sidewalls and better overall performance. The Destiny is available in S and T ratings which is a significant step down from V. H, which is one step down is acceptable, IMO, but not S or T which is 2 or 3 steps down. If you follow the link you supplied and click where it says "Find out if this tire fits my vehicle" you will see that your car is not listed.

I would take them back and tell them you found out they aren't appropriate for your car.
Old 12-18-11, 03:46 PM
funcrusher
Racer

I meant Discount Tire. I'm pissed now because I specifically asked the guy there if these were fine on my car. He said there shouldn't be any problems.
Old 12-18-11, 05:25 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I meant Discount Tire. I'm pissed now because I specifically asked the guy there if these were fine on my car. He said there shouldn't be any problems.
hmmm... as an ex-employee of Discount, I can absolutely assure you their policy is to not downgrade the speed rating aside from very special circumstances (winter tires, etc)

I would call back and talk to anyone that answers the phone aside from the person who sold you yours and ask what they are going to do...