Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Help me pick my spare please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-02, 11:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Default Help me pick my spare please!

I've given up on getting a Supra TT space saver spare - the tires for them are extremely expensive and very difficult to find apparently. I'm investigating a couple of options for wheels to use as a spare tire in my GS with the Supra TT brakes up front.

1) Get a single or set of stock Supra TT wheels as beaters. Use one of the fronts as a spare. Possibly use the others for drag or snow tires.

2) Manaray suggested just getting an H&R spacer (10 or 15mm) to use on the front and keep the stock 17 as a spare. What I don't know is if I can just install the spacer 'on the fly' if I have a flat.... seems like that might be problematic.

3) Buy a single 17 or 18" wheel, high disk with enough clearance on the design to fit the front brakes. I'd like a reasonably priced wheel but - and here's the catch - I want it to be as light as possible. The reason I wanted the space saver spare was to shave off a few pounds from the trunk... why not do that with my spare and get a good bit lighter than the stock 26 lb wheel? Are there any tires that are noted as being especially light?

Any comments on the options above or wheel suggestions for #3 are much appreciated.
Old 10-10-02, 11:56 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the spare, join AAA, don't forget your cell phone

Last edited by strongsail; 10-10-02 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-11-02, 12:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by strongsail
Very funny you say that . I actually made sure my AAA membership was paid up before I put my brake upgrade on.
Old 10-11-02, 01:54 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Option #2 is a NO GO. you would need to change studs for the spacers. If you didn't the lug nut would only twist on about 2 turns :eek:
Old 10-11-02, 09:34 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by strongsail
Sometime you have to wait a long time for AAA to respond. It would be faster to have a spare that you could put on quickly if needed.
Old 10-11-02, 04:46 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by pcmw
Option #2 is a NO GO. you would need to change studs for the spacers. If you didn't the lug nut would only twist on about 2 turns :eek:
Yep, pcmw hit the nail on the head. No luck getting a space saver huh? I thought someone posted that guys on the supra forum were always selling them
Old 10-11-02, 05:53 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

You need 8 engaged threads to drive safe. on a 10-15mm spacer you may get 4-5, if it is just to get you home, it may work fine. What’s the worry over an extra 25lb?
Old 10-12-02, 07:35 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

i agree with strongsail...forget the spare all together..youll be saving money on the spare itself and ull have no extra weight in the trunk..how often do u need to use ur spare? so whats an extra few minutes of waiting for AAA when that once in a blue moon occasion occurs..weigh out the pros and cons and ull see ;p
Old 10-14-02, 05:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks for the input guys - I definitely still want to have a spare available to me... I like the idea of NO spare from a performance perspective, but it doesn't make sense for everyday driving.

Thinking through the AAA solution if I'm out in BFE with a flat front tire and possibly a ruined rim, what is AAA going to do? Tow me to a nearby gas station and then what? The chances of them having a performance tire on hand that will fit my wheel are low... that they will have a replacement wheel which will fit a Supra TT laying around is probably 'none'. I don't want to have my car sitting somewhere for weeks waiting for a new wheel to arrive.

SO... it looks like I'm back to options 1 and 3 (having eliminated 2) and still would love some input on relatively lightweight & inexpensive aftermarket wheels I could use as a spare. Would have to come in high disk to fit over the brakes.

Any ideas? CL Vendors? Will?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-14-02, 06:39 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Dave...

i have been thinking over this matter for a while. based on your listed options, i would say the most economical solution is #1.

3) is good too, but then i think the cost factor would be high, relatively speaking. btw, i still am amazed at the size of those tt calipers. even with your wheels arched spoke, we still have clearance problem. i am certain there are 18s, one pc light wheel that will not put a DENT on your wallet, just have to do some search. supar tt+light alloys go hand-in-hand, must be choices out there.