Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

one of the most ridiculous things i've heard in some time żżż

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 07:11 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default one of the most ridiculous things i've heard in some time żżż

so my beater car (scion xa) needs some new front tires before the wintry season starts right...

i looked up a tire that was great in rain and wintry elements but also is an all season that gets great mileage. i ordered two of them. i brought them to my local pep boys. i told the dude at pep boys i wanted the tires mounted on the front of the car, balanced, and a front alignment done. this is where the story get good trust me

the pep boys dude says that he can mount the tires on the front of the car but that he has to then rotate them to the back of the car before i drive out of the lot. huh

i tell him that i want the new tires on the front of the car since the car is a small lightweight FWD car that is like 65% F 35% R weight distribution.

he tells me that a new MD rule came about from an NHTSA study finding that cars that only have their front tires replaced are more likely to get into an accident. I told him that this may be true for some larger RWD cars but more than likely not true for my little all front xA hatchback. the pep boys dude then tries to convince me of this study's findings for the next 5 mins and i said look if you can't put these new tires on the front of the car then i am going somewhere else... . at which point he says he can't and i leave...

am i just crazy or does this sound pretty damn ridiculous...

what if i was replacing tires from my LS430? i couldn't very well put my front tire size of 225x30x20 on my rear 20x10" wheel??? well i guess its possible but not very likely, and what if my rear wheel was like a 21" or a 20x12
Old 11-13-11, 06:15 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That employee sounds really knowledgeable reading highway safety studies and all. NOT!! Every time I go into pep boys or any parts store for that matter Im always amazed at the high level retards that work there.I wouldnt trust those clowns to change my oil. Well since they cant mount the new tires to the front wheels maybe if they drive your car onto the lift backwards it will then be OK.
Old 11-13-11, 06:53 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is true, tires shop that follows the rule, newer tires goes in the rear and older goes toward the fronts even if it rwd or fwd. You want the most traction in the rear wheels because once the car goes fish tail, you most likely out of control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__0DL8dE3Eo

Then again, you should be able to do watever you want because you are the paying customer unless it is against the law.
Old 11-26-11, 12:36 PM
champion
Driver School Candidate

New on rear! Americas tire is really good at convincing people to put new on rear. The video helps a lot
Old 12-04-11, 11:53 AM
timacks
Rookie

Great video
I always thought the high tread on the front would be best
but I come from RWD lifestyle where I love sliding around so
Old 12-05-11, 09:26 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Good to know. But I wouldn't cheap out and get 4 tires instead.