Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-02, 08:13 PM
mikeo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Noise

I have searched this forum and have seen discussions on tire noise to varying degrees, however none that specifically address my issue.

I have a 2001 GS430 with the 235/45/17 Bridgestone RE030 Tires. After about 15K the tire noise has become almost unbearable. I have taken the car to Lexus and they tell me that it most difenitely is due to the tires, I find this hard to beleive. I have rotated the tires every 5K miles and there is still 5-8K Miles of tread left on the tires. The noise I am hearing at low speed sounds like I am running over a rough road. At high speed on a very smooth road it is a very harmonic & cadenced hum. My questions are as follows

Has anyone else expeirienced this problem?

Is this a normal occurence to only get 15K out of these tires?

In the stock configuration what is the quietest & longest lasting tire? I am not racing around a lot so performance is secondary.

Part of the reason I bought this car was for ride comfort...I would like to get some of that back.

I am considering the following tires:
Bridgestone RE730
Pole Position S0-3

I would welcome any other recomendations

Thanks
Old 10-07-02, 08:42 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, it is the stock 030..almost 80% of tyres out there are better..

all these are good:

re730, s-03
dunlop sp 5000,
toyo t-1s
yoko avs es100
Old 10-07-02, 11:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah the stock tires are absolutely horrible to begin with.

i would go for the so3 any day
Old 10-07-02, 11:57 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

Had the same problem with my Bridgestone, BTW they lasted 21K. I then researched some and purchased Dunlop 9000 what a difference. Use tire rack. Treadwear is 280 and have put 20K already but they have quite some treadwear still. You will notice though as it wears you will find that whooshing sound more apparent.
Old 10-08-02, 12:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well it's pretty much a sure thing that as the tires wear out more you get more road noise. just like my avs now i only have around 5k left and the noise is beyond horrifying. you can only try to find the best possible one
Old 10-08-02, 12:38 AM
chowder
Driver

i got 25K out of my stock re030's. i had more feathering, uneven wear issues than noise issues.
i now am using michelin pilot a/s. great tires.

the s03 are completely performance oriented -- far from "quietest & longest lasting tire."
Old 10-08-02, 01:08 AM
MickeyLex
Rookie

Default quiet tires

I've had good luck with Dunlop and Yokohama tires for quiet. I'd say Dunlop is more performance and louder than Yoko. Yoko seemed to give up some performance but was much quieter.
Old 10-08-02, 01:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well depends on which yoko you looking at. if it's the avs, stay away, that's all i can say

and yes, performance tires are always louder to begin with. but for me i look for a good balance. and the so3 would still be my choice
Old 10-08-02, 01:35 AM
panther_v
Rookie

i have a set of continental contact sports on my 328 and i have the same problem. i have about 34k miles on the set and the noise is just unbelieveable. the only reason i am still riding on them is because i still have good tread depth on them.

it is disappointing to hear those tires on gs isn't much better. i guess i will be experiencing the same problem when my gs reaches that mileage.
Old 10-08-02, 02:06 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, most of my benz friends complain about the continentals too:eek:
Old 10-08-02, 05:19 AM
fboukari
Lead Lap

Question Are Lexus customers king in US?

Originally posted by rominl
yeah the stock tires are absolutely horrible to begin with.

i would go for the so3 any day
What tire is stock in US? Is it continental? I’ve got Yokohama as stock with my car is it so that Lexus care more about their European customers since it’s not a big brand over here? I’ve got this feeling ever since I joined CL. Is Lexus the car with the best Service in the US? Where I come from there is nobody else that even come close to the quality of Lexus, they even had MB S-class cars that MB couldn’t fix but the Lexus garage took care of their problems.
/Fredric
Old 10-08-02, 06:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Are Lexus customers king in US?

Originally posted by fboukari

What tire is stock in US? Is it continental? I’ve got Yokohama as stock with my car is it so that Lexus care more about their European customers since it’s not a big brand over here? I’ve got this feeling ever since I joined CL. Is Lexus the car with the best Service in the US? Where I come from there is nobody else that even come close to the quality of Lexus, they even had MB S-class cars that MB couldn’t fix but the Lexus garage took care of their problems.
/Fredric
the stock gs uses the bridgestone re030, i think it's 4 season tires and they are very bad.... i have 19" and i got them with the yoko av3.... very loud. but then if you have yoko tires on the stock wheels they should NOT be avs coz' it's performance tires.

well i remember reading a report saying that lexus was 3rd or 4th in customer service here in the US last yr
Old 10-08-02, 07:42 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Go for the Dunlop sp9000, I have both SO-3 and sp9000 and let me tell you the 9000's should be oem tire on all Lexus. It just makes the car so much quieter and handle better.

MB puts the 9000s on their top of the line CL/S/SL for the same reason.
Old 10-08-02, 12:05 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

Kaban,

What is the treadwear reading on the Bridgestone's? I have the Dunlop sp9000, just curious.
Old 10-08-02, 12:51 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do not get the Dunlop SP9000. They are LOUD.
I'm running 245/40/18 so that could also be a reason.
The S03 are very quite even on 19's.

Your best bet if you want the quitest ride are the
Michelin Pilots.

I got about 15K on my dunlops. Inside wear on the fronts is causing me to replace but if I didn't have the camber problem they probably would go another 15K easy.

Quick Reply: Tire Noise