Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Need good, inexpensive, all-seasons

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 11:00 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need good, inexpensive, all-seasons

Looking for a good set of all-seasons for the wife's 08 Subie Impezza.

Not too concerned with high performance, as she's not a spirited driver (but I would prefer decent grip, as I do occasionally drive the car). Primary concerns are wet and snow characteristics, as we live in Pittsburgh, and it rains constantly, and we get our fair share of ice and snow.

It's obviously AWD, so I'm trying to avoid buying a separate set of snows for the car. It hasn't failed us in bad weather yet with all-seasons (and with a new house I just can't afford to buy separate snows for it).

Longevity and road noise are secondary.

Looking to spend under $500 for a set. Tires I'm considering:
- Kumho Ecsta 4X
- Kumho Ecsta ASX (actually had these on my old Miata, and was fairly impressed)
- Sumitomo HTR A/S P01

Anyone have any experience with any of these in inclement weather? Any other recommendations for a decent, low priced, all-season tire?
Old 10-20-11, 01:31 PM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

The Kumho Ecsta ASX is being replaced by the Kumho Ecsta 4X, so between the two the best long term choice is the 4X. If you ever have tire damage down the line it will be much easier to find the 4X replacement tire. Also, the rebate on the 4X makes it a little less expensive right now.

Kumho Ecsta 4x - Test Results

Kumho Ecsta 4X - Link

Old 10-21-11, 06:19 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

No way... 08 Impreza? Does it have the 16" wheels and tires? Bridgestone RE970AS's... Arguably the best all season ultra high performance tire on the market... They replace the amazing RE960's that I have and are actually currently cheaper at Tire Rack too... and under $500 for the set...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 10-21-11 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-22-11, 06:59 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Agreed, the the Bridgestone RE970AS is the superior tire but with shipping and installation he'll be over his $500 mark. Since, jaseman was asking for an "inexpensive" all-season the Kumho 4X is a usually a pretty good choice given his criteria and he could have these shipped and installed for under his $500 limit. I absolutely agree with you the Bridgestone RE970AS is an excellent tire and if you have the extra $150-175 to spend on a set of 4 over the Kumho's, it would be money well spent.

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS - Link

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS - Test Results

Old 10-24-11, 01:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no love for the Kumho AST?
Old 10-24-11, 08:50 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jaseman
Looking for a good set of all-seasons for the wife's 08 Subie Impezza.

Not too concerned with high performance, as she's not a spirited driver (but I would prefer decent grip, as I do occasionally drive the car). Primary concerns are wet and snow characteristics, as we live in Pittsburgh, and it rains constantly, and we get our fair share of ice and snow.

It's obviously AWD, so I'm trying to avoid buying a separate set of snows for the car. It hasn't failed us in bad weather yet with all-seasons (and with a new house I just can't afford to buy separate snows for it).

Longevity and road noise are secondary.

Looking to spend under $500 for a set. Tires I'm considering:
- Kumho Ecsta 4X
- Kumho Ecsta ASX (actually had these on my old Miata, and was fairly impressed)
- Sumitomo HTR A/S P01

Anyone have any experience with any of these in inclement weather? Any other recommendations for a decent, low priced, all-season tire?
I have had a set of of Kumho Ecsta ASX on my car for a while and I have been impressed. They are a very good tire especially for the low price. They did well the few times I drove them in snow but my car is rwd. Noise is pretty low and they ride very well and have been holding up well. Handling is good. I originally wanted a set of Continental Extreme Contacts but every place was out when I needed them, they recommended the Ecsta ASX instead.
Old 10-28-11, 05:09 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Zig - Thanks, I'll be ordering the Kuhmo 4X's tonight. Any promo code I should punch in (wink, wink)...

UDel - Had the ASX's on both my old Miata, and my old Spec-V Sentra and was always very impressed (even autocrossed them with some success against guys with didicated tires.. LOL) Would have put them on the IS-300, but decided to give the Nitto NeoGens a shot (got a really good deal at a time that I needed tires to pass inspection) But since the 4X is phasing out the ASX, figured it's worth a go...
Old 10-29-11, 06:55 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the order, you did order through the forum so Club Lexus got credit for the sale. Thanks again!
Old 12-16-14, 01:56 PM
Djfoho
Rookie

I used the 4x on my 2010 civic as budget tires when I needed them badly. They were a step up from some crappy looking tread and needless to say I was very impressed with how they handled in the rain. For around 75-95 a tire they are a solid budget all season tire.