Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

IS350 Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 07:04 AM
runn39w23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 Brake Issue

Hi all, first post!

I have a 2007 IS350, I love my car! I just bought some new pads/rotors and put them on. For some reason I bought some slotted/drilled rotors because I thought they looked neat and they were only a few dollors more. After a little bit I started noticing a squeak when I would brake.

Its interesting, if I break hard I wont hear it. But if I break gently from like 30-40 to 0, I will hear it and its quite annoying. It is only on the front driver-side, I am positive of this. I thought it was a bad set of pads, so I replaced the pads on both front tires. Squeak is still there.

Is it the rotor? Could it be something else?

Advice appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by runn39w23; 10-06-11 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-06-11, 10:07 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the brake wear indicator may have been bent during installation. This is just a small piece of metal designed to squeal or squeak when too much friction material has worn away by making contact with rotor. So during light braking it makes slight contact and makes noise as it supposed to and during heavier braking it makes too much contact and flattens out without making noise. I would start with this.
Old 10-06-11, 07:32 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is the deal... you may have exacerbated the issue when you changed brake pads...

squeaks and squeals are actually audible vibrations... some of these happen more at lower speeds, some at higher speeds...

many times it is the beginning of a what will end up being a pedal pulsation, brake pads deposit some of their material on the rotor, sometimes unevenly...

chances are your break in procedure was not good and it has left a high spot or uneven pad material, causing a pulsation... the rotors should be turned and then they should be fine...

the new pads may have just deposited more material, making it worse...

one other thing to make sure when reinstalling everything that backing plates are used where required and everything has a thin layer of grease (between pads and backing plates, between backing plates and the caliper) - this is essential when the pads are new to promote even wear and even break in...