Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Fitment Q For All Cl Wheel Vendors....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-02, 08:22 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitment Q For All Cl Wheel Vendors....

My wheel/tire has more than 2 inches to the "shock" side without anyone in my car. IMHO, if my 19x10" wheel was a +48 instead of a +41, I could easily fit a 295mm tire with NO rubbing.....Also, I would not have had to shave my fenders to fit the 285's..Considering the additional 5mm of tire on each side, this set up would be 2mm FURTHER from my fender(while only SLIGHTLY taller) and 12mm closer to my shock/coil.......
I have never seen ANYONE on this board recommend going with the offset rangin from +45-+50 as a rule of thumb, but IMO, it should be the standard with a 9.5" or 10" rear wheel IF your intention is to run 285mm tire or maybe even larger.....
Has anyone actually tried this??? Also, does anyone have access to a 10" wide wheel w/+50 offset and a 295 tire???
I know that HI98GS(Ricky) has Work Equips from his SupraTT that are a +50 offset and he is using 285/30/19 S-03's with no rubbing and no fender mod.... Please reveal the pros and cons(if any) to these offsets so that CL members who want 285's(or maybe larger?) will quit buying +36-+41 10" wide wheels and then having to shave the fenders.....
Old 09-23-02, 10:32 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Excellent post tiny! It would be really cool if someone could work up some sort of java applet, similar to the tire calculator at miata.net, that would let you plug-in different wheel/tire combos and it would graphically show you the placement relative to the suspension and car body. If someone could teach me java, I'd be happy to take this task on
Old 09-23-02, 02:14 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tiny...

funny you started this thread as i just had a similar talk with my wheel distributor in japan.

on the 10s, for the GS, if one is looking to get 285s and larger, then he/she should def consider as close to +50 offset as possible. on the Gettins, Arrow Ent(maker of the Gettins, even suggest +52) should i opt for 285 and larger tyres. for 275s, +41 is till the adviced fittment.

hudini's cuz(or one of his relatives) over in HI has a supra TT, and is running 20x10s, +49 on a set of work LS; though i do not know what size tyre he has.

Wei wanted 3" liip for his 20x10s Equips, so i had to get him +35 and the back does rub slightly even on 275s. but, japan actually adviced +48(2.5" lip) when i first asked them....

in comparison: i had 18x10s/+37 but only 265s last time and NO problem at all...

marbles..oops, sorry i mean mumbles....seriously Eric..

i will bring that idea up to Ethan, sound great, thanks
Old 09-23-02, 02:56 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs4will
tiny...

funny you started this thread as i just had a similar talk with my wheel distributor in japan.

on the 10s, for the GS, if one is looking to get 285s and larger, then he/she should def consider as close to +50 offset as possible. on the Gettins, Arrow Ent(maker of the Gettins, even suggest +52) should i opt for 285 and larger tyres. for 275s, +41 is till the adviced fittment.

hudini's cuz(or one of his relatives) over in HI has a supra TT, and is running 20x10s, +49 on a set of work LS; though i do not know what size tyre he has.

Wei wanted 3" liip for his 20x10s Equips, so i had to get him +35 and the back does rub slightly even on 275s. but, japan actually adviced +48(2.5" lip) when i first asked them....

in comparison: i had 18x10s/+37 but only 265s last time and NO problem at all...

Yup, although it has yet to be tried(at least on CL), I am of the opinion that a 20x10" +48-+52 w/285/30/20 on a 98'+ GS300/400 may have a REALLY GOOD chance of clearing on both sides of the wheel WITHOUT fender mod.... Hope we can find some candidates to do the R+D.....
Old 09-23-02, 07:51 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Sheesh, one guy says it one time... I see how that whole Gable thing got started.
Old 09-23-02, 08:07 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

sorry eric...just thougt i would do that once
Old 09-24-02, 07:22 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 19x10 +47....
Old 09-24-02, 02:28 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

sorry eric...just thougt i would do that once
Well, as long as you got it out of your system...
Old 09-24-02, 05:52 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem from this stems from the fact that a 295 tire is not common. The norm is 275, with 285 used about 30% of the time. Wheels are fitted to bring the tire as close as possible to the outside fender, but without any rubbing issues.

The 295 is definitely not what most people will put, as can be evidenced by the minimal number of tire models out there in that size. This is simply a function of the tire market itself.

With this in mind, the absolute most common offset will be 44-45 for a 9.5 or 10" wheel in the rear. This is also the case because that offset will fit other vehicles properly as well. Do remember once again that this would be for a 275 or 285 tire, and if you did the 50+ offset it would not look too good with those tires. Some people are pretty clueless to even notice a tire that is set in, but anyone who does exotic fitments knows that this is an unspoken no-no. Classic example is the occasional 94-up mustang that you will see on the street with FWD wheels on them. They are sitting WAY in the fenders, even more than the stock wheels! Of course that person thinks they are cool because they just don't know any better.

Many wheels can be modified for additional offset, so yes, that 295 idea is very feasible, as would a 305 if you did some minor fender work. Additionally, minor fender trimming is normal with extreme fitments or "flush to the fender" fitments, just something that the average person doesn't understand or is not willing to deal with. This is what makes the difference though when one car looks better than the next.

Most of the wheels we do are like this, as the majority of our customers are willing to do whatever it takes to fit the wheels, not just bolt them on and run.

Mercedes and BMW are able to get some extremely tight tolerances due to their suspension arm mounting, nobody will ever say that it looks worse when the tires are super flush with the fender. It's just that some cars simply can't do it. Hence...the somewhat conservative offset with most aftermarket wheels.

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC
www.tmengineering.net
Old 09-24-02, 06:03 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

thanks todd..very informative
Old 09-24-02, 11:00 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Todd, are you still involved in the autosound world? I probably still have the copy of Car Stereo Review with the piece on your Accord... ahhh those were the days! Guess this is the wrong forum for this, huh?
Old 09-25-02, 10:58 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by manaray
I have a 19x10 +47....
As of when??? I thought the HRE's were 9.5"+37?
Are you bragging about your Volks again..heehee j/k
Old 09-25-02, 11:22 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DoubleWhoosh

With this in mind, the absolute most common offset will be 44-45 for a 9.5 or 10" wheel in the rear. This is also the case because that offset will fit other vehicles properly as well. Do remember once again that this would be for a 275 or 285 tire, and if you did the 50+ offset it would not look too good with those tires. Some people are pretty clueless to even notice a tire that is set in, but anyone who does exotic fitments knows that this is an unspoken no-no. Classic example is the occasional 94-up mustang that you will see on the street with FWD wheels on them. They are sitting WAY in the fenders, even more than the stock wheels! Of course that person thinks they are cool because they just don't know any better.

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC
www.tmengineering.net
This particular part(cosmetic appeal and fit using +48-+50 w/285 tire) is where I have a different opinion...The #'s you posted above actually confirm what I was saying....(and please do not mistake my opinion for not acknowledging your expertise)
Heres the math based on YOUR statement:
1-My current set-up is 19x10"+41 w/285 and 5mm's(measured, not guessed) shaved from fender..
2-A proposed 19x10"+48 set-up w/same tire and NO fender mod will move the wheel/tire 7mm closer to the "shock" side giving EXACTLY 2mm clearance(factoring in the 5mm fender shave) from the fender.....
I think 2mm clearance is PERFECT! How would this be sitting in too far? I am in no way proposing that the wheel/tire be pushed under the car an inordinate amount, only that the offset be such that it will accomodate the 285's while remaining the same distance from the fender edge....IMHO, the only thing I would tell someone considering this fitment is that it is best suited to a 285mm tire....
With these measurments in mind what would you say about the following:
20x10"+48 w/285/30/20.... TIA, Tiny

Last edited by tinygs; 09-25-02 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-25-02, 02:17 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by mumbles
If someone could teach me java, I'd be happy to take this task on
I can help you out with the java part if you'd like. I am not sure about the teaching part but I can consult with you or work with you on this if it would be helpful.
Old 09-25-02, 03:21 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Neo
I can help you out with the java part if you'd like. I am not sure about the teaching part but I can consult with you or work with you on this if it would be helpful.
Great offer, thanks Neo! Right now I have zero java ability, but I remember picking up a tutorial software program, so I'll give it a look-see. I suppose it could be written in perl, cgi, or something else as well, I guess java was the first thing I thought of.

Quick Reply: Fitment Q For All Cl Wheel Vendors....