Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Michelin Pilot Super Sports on GS460 - Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-11, 12:52 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Super Sports on GS460 - Wow!

I mounted a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my GS460 earlier this week and I have put about 600 miles on them. 245/40R18 Y rated XL load factor - same as the PS2s they replace.

I am coming from Michelin PS2s with 50-60% tread remaining, so I am comparing a set of just broken in new Michelin Pilot Super Sports against a set of Michelin PS2s in prime condition.

First of all in terms of overall style the PS2 and PSS feel similar, which is good because the PS2 was probably the most complete performance tire out there. That said the PSS is a significant upgrade.

1) Off the line dry grip really is like Sport Cups. With the PS2s, I could brake loose the rear end when pulling out of the garage into the street full throttle corner. With the PSS it simply won't happen. In fact I have tried full throttle cornering in several situations but I cannot get even the traction control light to blip. This will certainly improve 0-60 times.

2) Improvement in turn-in characteristics. The car feels sharper on turn-in. Remember both the PSS and PS2s being replaced are XL load factor, so that's not at play here. The car really feels much more responsive and precise on turn-in than the PS2s and it makes it feel more BMW like (because BMWs RFTs have similar characteristics).

3) Incredible grip in corners. I used to take one of the highway ramps at 75mph* (this is a 90 degree 40mph ramp) with the PS2s. The fastest I did that ramp was 80mph*, and while at 80mph you would only get a slight whine, the car did feel a little shaky because of the expansion joints. Yesterday I took this ramp at 85mph* and the Super Sports were silent and completely composed over the expansion joints relative to the PS2s. It wouldn't surprise me if I could take this corner at a 100 (although I'll save those antics for track). And then when I floored the throttle at the midpoint, it just accelerated without drama.

4) The biggest improvement is the wet grip. I always find the limit when driving the PS2s in the rain. With the PSS I could not find it. It almost felt like driving in the dry. There was incredible traction, no traction control lights even under full throttle. Not even a hint of aquaplaning. Remember this is Florida tropical rain I'm talking about. I can't wait for the hurricane season to really test these tires in the rain.

5) Improved ride comfort and noise. The ride comfort is significantly improved. It is almost as smooth as riding on Michelin Primacys. The noise is slightly reduced - but certainly quieter over concrete surfaces.

Unfortunately one of my tires is punctured already and had to be patched. I may just replace it to make sure the set is still Z-rated.

* This number is for dramatization purposes. In fact I was driving in accordance with speed limits at all times.
Old 05-27-11, 01:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

great review, i am moving this to tire forum for more exposure.

michelin always put out some good stuff
Old 05-28-11, 09:13 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

These tires are just out of this world!

100mph curves (on track of course!)

It haven't had such awe and incomprehension of grip since I drove a Lotus Espirit!
Old 05-28-11, 09:15 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

And combined with the torquey V8 you can really carve through traffic with these.
Old 05-29-11, 04:03 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is great info. Wanted to test them out myself to compare. The PS2's are the best tire to date I have purchased. Can't wait to get another car that I can test these out on.
Old 05-31-11, 01:19 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 450 Likes on 284 Posts

Thanks Batty, I will consider these on my next purchase! I got the PS2's on my M5 and love them. I'm just a little concerned with life span of these tires!
Old 05-31-11, 07:02 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by designo
Thanks Batty, I will consider these on my next purchase! I got the PS2's on my M5 and love them. I'm just a little concerned with life span of these tires!
Apparently the PSS have longer lifespans. UTQG is increased from 220 to 300.
Old 06-01-11, 10:12 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my new Michelin Pilot Super Sports tires mounted on my IS350 today. I have to wait a few hundred miles to break them in.
Old 06-04-11, 04:20 PM
BLKFIN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a set on my ISF an even being brand new they hook like crazy.
Old 06-05-11, 04:37 AM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by *Batman*
These tires are just out of this world!

100mph curves (on track of course!)
Yeah right haha..

Anyways, I am shocked at how stretched the Michelins are compared to Yokohamas! Have you noticed this?
Old 06-08-11, 07:50 PM
kenv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stretched?

What is stretched? Do you have any real world pictures. thx.
Old 06-09-11, 01:24 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by designo
Anyways, I am shocked at how stretched the Michelins are compared to Yokohamas! Have you noticed this?
I'm not sure what you mean by stretched. What is distinctive about these tires is they use something called twaron to achieve a very flat tread surface (vs more curved on other tires) which increases contact patch. This in turn means the tire wall is very vertical which improves ride.

This picture shows you what I mean.

Old 06-10-11, 03:47 AM
designo
Pole Position

Here you go, pics of rear tires! Both tire brands same size... 275/30/19.

Notice the more vertical tire wall on the Yokohama than the Falken. Even the edge of my wheel lips stick out now compared to before.

Current Falken 456

Previous Yokohama S.Drive

Old 06-10-11, 04:52 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Yeah I don't like stretched. I like the approach of Michelin which makes the tire as wide as possible with a flat tread area to maximize contact.

I don't know if you saw the results of the most recent Tire Rack One Lap of America time trials, but the Michelin PSS shod cars blew everyone else away.
http://www.tirerack.com/features/mot...astresults.jsp
Old 06-10-11, 03:17 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Batman,

Thanks for your detailed review and the Tire Rack One Lap link. I can't wait to get them on my IS-F....and my Supras down the road.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sports on GS460 - Wow!