Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What the HECK is wrong with my new Racing Hart

Old 09-05-02, 12:52 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry What the HECK is wrong with my new Racing Hart

I just got my Racing Hart S15 from Wheel Max today. As soon as I put them on my GS, my car started shaking as soon as I drove it. WheelMax suppose to have balanced them. Then I took them to a nearby Tire Store to have them rebalanced, and they still shake, only when I pass 80 mph. What the hell is going on. I got 225/18/40. Could it be the size??? Or is WheelMax just screwing me over???
Old 09-05-02, 01:26 AM
benzz'sIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

out of topic, but can you please post a pic? I have never seen them on a car. Thanks.
Old 09-05-02, 01:47 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those are nice rims!

why are you running 225 on a GS? did you get 18x8 or something? i don't know why it's vibrating, but maybe you dont' have the centering rings in the front. i had those on my c5's and they helped.

on my SC, i was running 18x8.5 with 235-40-18 tires and they were fine. 225 seems narrow on such a huge car.
Old 09-05-02, 02:27 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

I will post pictures soon, once I resolve my problems...
I got 225 because it was a package deal, and I broke the bank getting these (I wanted to go stagger like everyone else). They are 18X8. What are centering rings? Shouldn't they come with the wheels, if so I'm sure the Lex dealer put them on when I took it in to get my rims put on.
I read some other threads, and I'm thinking it might be Steering Rack. I'll go take it to Lexus Dealer again, what a pain!
Old 09-05-02, 02:44 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

don't know your problem, but i can't think that wheelmax is screwing you over since they're our sponsor. just an issue that they'll help you out with.
Old 09-05-02, 06:38 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

I thought wheelmax was a shady place?
Old 09-05-02, 08:00 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

KILLERGS4,

A centering ring is a small ring of metal that sits in between your new wheel and the hub. You can place them in the center of the wheel or better yet put them on the center of your brake rotor over the hole that covers the hub. I know this because when I got my wheels from tire rack they weren’t in the box. I didn't know I needed them and when I was in Indiana, the home of the tire rack, they asked why I didn't put them on! Needless to say they put some on for me and things have been better. I have read that some have put on new wheels w/o the ring and have had no problems. But my money is on using the rings, if there's a gap they will fill it.

Good luck with your new wheels and post your findings.

Overclocker
Old 09-05-02, 11:12 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Did yoo contact wheelmax to let them know? i dont think the center rings ever come with wheels
Old 09-05-02, 11:44 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: What the HECK is wrong with my new Racing Hart

Originally posted by KILLERGS4
I just got my Racing Hart S15 from Wheel Max today. As soon as I put them on my GS, my car started shaking as soon as I drove it. WheelMax suppose to have balanced them. Then I took them to a nearby Tire Store to have them rebalanced, and they still shake, only when I pass 80 mph. What the hell is going on. I got 225/18/40. Could it be the size??? Or is WheelMax just screwing me over???
When you say you had them rebalanced, are you talking about just the wheels, or did you have them balanced on the car. With any wheel/tire combo, you must have them balanced on the car, and most folks recommend using a shop that has a Hunter 9000 series machine. Here is a link that should help you locate a tire shop that uses Hunter machines in your area; Hunter Balancing
You also mentioned that it might be the steering rack. If the car wasn't vibrating before hand, that's probably not your problem. The overall diameter of the tires is fine, but I agree that they are way too narrow for a car the size of the GS. Also check in the centering rings with WheelMax, if the wheels are not hub-centric, then you will need the rings.
Old 09-05-02, 03:29 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Thanks a lot you guys... I'll try contacting wheelmax about those rings! I had first ordered from tires.com, and they did come with the rings, but the rims looked aweful, so I returned them. I hope I get 100% refund. I was hoping I have better luck with Wheelmax.
Old 09-05-02, 06:28 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

i always thought that the centering rings always come with the rims. my RH came with them for the fronts...
Old 09-05-02, 07:05 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

1) Wheels that are not hubcentric should come with centering rings at no charge from the manufacturer. Call WheelMax.

2) Wheelmax is not a sponsor. Wheel Kinetics, Wheel Boutique, and Wheel Experts are the sponsors.

3) The balancing was most likely done as cheaply as possible...NO HUNTER. RUN to the nearest Hunter shop and have them re-balanced.

4) Get some larger tires when you replace these! 235-245/40/18 will be your best bet.

5) If 1-3 leave some shake, THEN get the steering pre-tensioner tightenened.

Let us know how it turns out!

Ryan
Old 09-05-02, 09:50 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by KILLERGS4
Thanks a lot you guys... I'll try contacting wheelmax about those rings! I had first ordered from tires.com, and they did come with the rings, but the rims looked aweful, so I returned them. I hope I get 100% refund. I was hoping I have better luck with Wheelmax.
Maybe yoo shouldve contacted them first? They need rings,Email them and let them know about the problem.

Last edited by DriftGirl; 09-05-02 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-05-02, 11:04 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My money is on the centering rings- you took it to the dealer to have them installed? The dealer probably didn't know what the rings were for and pitched 'em.

BTW, what tires do you have? My experience with the cheaper tires (Kumho, Sumitomo, Falken, etc.) is that they are nmot as 'true' as better brands. The Lexus cars are very sensitive to this. I had a customer a few years ago with a '98 GS- he rolled in with new Dunlops that shook like crazy. We rebalanced them several time, it took installing Michelins to fix the problem.
Old 09-05-02, 11:14 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

I have Pirelli's Z-rated (Ultra High Performance , All Season). They ARE good right? I've contacted Wheelmax, and they don't have the rings. I went to a local car tunner place and the owner told me it wasn't because of the rings. He said all cars do that at 80mph, what BS, so I left. I need to locate a RH dealer around my area, in the mean time I scheduled a appointment with Lexus on Monday, I hope I get the RX as my rental. Thanks ya!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What the HECK is wrong with my new Racing Hart