Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

You wanna be cheep and buy reps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 06:56 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
Aren't LC wheels made in Taiwan?
I'm pretty sure they are.

I guess this is no different then spending $4,000 on an expensive set of wheels and installing the cheapest $100.00 tire you can find because you have to be the "illest" and run through tires every month because of camber wear.
Old 03-12-11, 10:25 AM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow nice video
Old 03-15-11, 11:23 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anything can happen. Here is a pic of an Authentic Weds SA-55M. This car was parked on the street when someone lost control and hit it just right. I buy authentic rims though. Sometimes I wonder though because I have bent so many high end JDM rims over the years that it gets expensive to replace.

Old 03-16-11, 07:29 AM
SB350
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ That's not a WedsSport SA55M. It looks like an Advan RS-D.
Old 03-16-11, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Anything can happen. Here is a pic of an Authentic Weds SA-55M. This car was parked on the street when someone lost control and hit it just right. I buy authentic rims though. Sometimes I wonder though because I have bent so many high end JDM rims over the years that it gets expensive to replace.

i don't think anyone is saying authentic wheels are invincible. but i do believe they have far better quality and strength in the design
Old 03-16-11, 11:56 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KangstaxD
nice video, this guy voice is annoying
I love when people it (Americans in particular) say this. I hear it alot...to much where I live. His english sounds great. The question is....HOW"S OUR JAPANESE? Great ad BTW!!!!!
Old 03-16-11, 04:08 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SB350
^ That's not a WedsSport SA55M. It looks like an Advan RS-D.
I could be wrong on the rims type. I know he wanted to replace them with SA55M though so I just assumed. This guy is local but I haven't seen them in person myself.
Old 03-16-11, 04:25 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't think anyone is saying authentic wheels are invincible. but i do believe they have far better quality and strength in the design
I agree, but I'm also beginning to wonder if the stronger rims are really that much stronger in real life situations. What I mean is if I hit a pot hole with a high end rim I bend it. Same with a cheaper rim. If I get into an accident severe enough, I replace the rim high end or not. What benefit does the high end rim have if your going to bend it the same as the cheap one hitting pot holes, and you're going to replace them anyway. My 3 piece Weds cracked on me once before. When I bent my 3 piece SSR rim 2 weeks before a car show, I had to fork out the extra $500+ for a replacement ASAP. Honestly, that is a lot of cash.

Then again, I do buy higher end JDM rims myself, but lately I do it more because of the nicer styles and offsets they have vs just because the are high end. The truth with me is I drive aggressive, so I've been known to not see pot holes and hit them full on at speed. I don't like when lowered cars hold me up dodging pot holes and going slow over bumps. I drive lowered cars too but I don't hold people up. I believe you pay to play, but you don't make others pay for you. In other words. I accept that I have to dish out money replacing my rims every once in a while, but don't hold me up because you don't want to bend your rim.

One thing I need to be clear on is I'm specifically talking high end rims vs cheaper mainstream brands. NOT replica rims. More like Work rims vs TSW rims and such. I have no problem buying the lower brand name rim, but I wouldn't want to buy a replica rim of a higher end design simply because I'm a little vein when it comes to cars so I'd go for the original design.
Old 03-16-11, 05:13 PM
mikefit
Driver School Candidate

i love weds
Old 03-29-11, 06:28 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

From a another car forum about wheel problems. I thought this poster's comment to be Not only with wheels but inspecting gear used in a variety of areas. Smack a curb or pot hole, it is wise to get out and verify the condition of the wheel. May not see it all but if you see a chip off the bead of the rim, it would be safe to say it is not drivable.

Just like any other product, wheels earn reputations based on their performance and you must carefully consider how and where you plan to use your wheels so that you achieve maximum satisfaction. However, past performance is no guarantee of future performance and even the best quality wheels have a failure rate greater than zero. As with any vehicle that is to be operated near the edge of its performance envelope, regular inspection and replacement of service parts is critical. Yes, wheels are service parts and many recommend replacing wheels and wheel mounting hardware annually even if there are no visible to the naked eye signs of impending doom.
Old 03-30-11, 05:10 PM
cenix
Driver

thanks for posting that vid. in all honesty, listening to the narration was a little tough, but was fully understood.

one thing i remember from my autocrossing/track days, a certain number of people would shell out big money for forged volk wheels and then run at the track on rotas or something 'cheap' for fear that they would ruin their volks. totally backwards. i would never buy 'cheap' knock-off wheels no matter what. i'd rather run the stock wheels.
Old 03-30-11, 10:31 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by cenix
thanks for posting that vid. in all honesty, listening to the narration was a little tough, but was fully understood.

one thing i remember from my autocrossing/track days, a certain number of people would shell out big money for forged volk wheels and then run at the track on rotas or something 'cheap' for fear that they would ruin their volks. totally backwards. i would never buy 'cheap' knock-off wheels no matter what. i'd rather run the stock wheels.
I see people do that a lot too. I'll never buy knock-offs unless they are better than the originals.