Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and SuperSport

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-11, 09:46 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and SuperSport

So tire sizes are still limited as reviews but everything points that this is superior to the PS2 which is pretty amazing to think. Seemingly 10% increase in wear and the wear rating increased from 220 to 320 from what I see. Braking seems to be better as well.

Been very happy with PS2s but not entirely sure I need PS2 for everyday use since I don't really drive any of the vehicles that hard. I do like knowing if I do drive them hard, the PS2 is there. I've thought about maybe PS2 A/S maybe next time to get more treadwear and give up some grip (though I don't drive as much so treadwear isn't much of an issue) but this PS3 really intrigues me.

What are your thoughts on the PS3?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Pilot+Sport+3

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...-sport-3-tires
Old 01-08-11, 03:31 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a direct replacement for the Pilot Sport 2, they have improved the wet traction with this new design. It's also interesting to note that most of the testing I've seen has been done on small and entry series vehicles. Nothing too stunning for better words.

As far as a true replacement for the Michelin PS-2, I would have to say that the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are those. All the testing suggests that this particular tire is aimed at high performance vehicles, while the Pilot Sport 3 is not. The tire is in between Pilot Exalto and Pilot Sport 2, as far as dry grip and dry performance, it does not exceed the PS-2, it's an upgrade in just wet weather performance. So the real upgrade would be the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.
Old 01-08-11, 07:51 AM
LexFather

^^^^ you are 100% right, thanks. . Supersport info, April 2011 debut. So now there are 4 really good performance tires from Michelin with the "Super" name. I do believe you can actually still order original Pilot Sports too.

So what are your thoughts on the supersport as well?

http://www.michelinman.com/pilotsupersport/

• Up to 12% better handling than a leading competitor1
  • Up to 2x longer lasting than leading competitors1
  • Better braking than leading competitors2
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....num=83YR0PSSXL

Treadwear is 300 vs 220 of the PS2 so it will wear better. Only one size now it seems. 315/35ZR20 for Ferrari's.

The Pilot Super Sport is Michelin's Max Performance Summer tire initially introduced as Original Equipment on several of the world's most sophisticated performance vehicles, including the exclusive limited edition Ferrari 599 GTO, Ferrari's fastest road car ever. Developed for drivers who care about how tire technology enhances their vehicle's performance and safety, Pilot Super Sport tires expand the Max Performance Summer tire performance envelope by delivering durability, handling and traction while increasing tread life.
Building on the development of racing tires designed to carry Prototype and GT class cars to endurance race victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, 12 Hours of Sebring and Road Atlanta's Petit Lemans, Pilot Super Sport tires are designed to deliver consistent performance and longevity by blending Max Performance driving characteristics with extended tread wear.
While the importance of tire treadwear in endurance racing may not be immediately apparent, Michelin tires set records during the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2010. One of the 2010 LMP Class leaders completed 46 consecutive laps on one set of tires with an average pace just 1% off of the pole position qualifying time. That’s almost 400 racing miles on one set of tires at an average speed of 150 mph.
Additionally the overall winner used just 11 sets of tires to cover a record 3,362 miles, averaging nearly 140 mph and almost 300 racing miles per set of tires. That represented almost a 25% wear improvement compared to just one year earlier where the overall winner needed 14 sets of tires to cover 3,235 miles. By developing longer wearing racing tires without sacrificing performance, Michelin tires allowed the teams to run record race paces while converting some of the time previously spent changing tires in the pits into productive time covering more miles on the track.
While Pilot Super Sport tires are designed to allow sports cars, sporty coupes, performance sedans and supercars to achieve their full potential in dry and wet conditions, like all summer tires they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
The Pilot Super Sport features multiple innovative rubber compounds molded side-by-side into an asymmetric tread design. The low-void outboard shoulder features a track-type compound to withstand the stresses of high performance cornering while the notched center ribs and inboard shoulder feature a compound designed for superior performance at very high speeds and in wet conditions.
The tire's internal structure features twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wound Twaron cord. Twaron is a polyamide cord that offers a lightweight, high-strength reinforcement above the steel belts to enhance high-speed handling, wear and durability. Michelin FAZ Technology (Filament At Zero degrees) winds the Twaron cord around the tire circumference much the same way fishing line is wound onto fishing reels to allow Michelin engineers to tune tension and strength. The Pilot Super Sport features a polyester carcass to promote a comfortable ride and responsive handling.
Pilot Super Sport tires are comparatively light, with weight savings of up to 10% compared to other tires of similar dimensions. This reduces unsprung weight to improve handling.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-08-11 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-08-11, 11:10 AM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Definitely interested in the Pilot Super Sport and, hopefully, more sizes will be available. I need 275/30/19s, front, and 325/30/19s, rear, for my Supra as well as IS-F friendly sizes. Interestingly, I read on Tire Rack that the PS2 run-flats slightly out perform the regular PS2s in a number of important areas. Given the prices, I would prefer a longer wearing, higher performing Super Sport, but I do not want to wait forever for Michelin to produce the Super Sport tires in more popular sizes. Hopefully, we can get some information that will positively impact our future tire purchase decisions.
Old 02-10-11, 06:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KJH
Definitely interested in the Pilot Super Sport and, hopefully, more sizes will be available. I need 275/30/19s, front, and 325/30/19s, rear, for my Supra as well as IS-F friendly sizes. Interestingly, I read on Tire Rack that the PS2 run-flats slightly out perform the regular PS2s in a number of important areas. Given the prices, I would prefer a longer wearing, higher performing Super Sport, but I do not want to wait forever for Michelin to produce the Super Sport tires in more popular sizes. Hopefully, we can get some information that will positively impact our future tire purchase decisions.
I might call or e-mail, still no udpates
Old 02-10-11, 08:04 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I might call or e-mail, still no udpates
Post up your results if you hear of, or learn, anything. TIA,
Old 02-19-11, 06:28 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke with an auto journalist who had been invited to the Dubai event.

He said that the PSS delivers grip levels that feel very similar to cups but with the wet traction level of the PS3. With much longer tread life.

The PS3 owners I have spoken with felt it was very close to PS2 in dry traction but a little less precise. Personally I think the PS2 has fallen behind competitors in dry traction, so i wouldn't bother with the PS3.

Damon at Tire Rack has been telling me that the PSS isn't expected to ship till May although Tire Rack is lobbying Michelin for earlier availability.
Old 02-19-11, 07:04 PM
KJH
Intermediate

^^Do you think it would help if we all lobbied Damon? TIA.

Actually, the PS2 is still quite competitive in dry traction and in wet traction for that matter. It is in ride comfort, noise comfort and treadwear where newer tires have made up the difference. Those tires, however, still give up outright dry weather performance to the long-in-the-tooth PS2. See results here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP
Old 02-20-11, 10:25 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KJH
^^Do you think it would help if we all lobbied Damon? TIA.

Actually, the PS2 is still quite competitive in dry traction and in wet traction for that matter. It is in ride comfort, noise comfort and treadwear where newer tires have made up the difference. Those tires, however, still give up outright dry weather performance to the long-in-the-tooth PS2. See results here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP
Yeah we should all lobby Tire Rack and every other tire reseller, plus Michelin on their Facebook page.

Damon and Tire Rack get it - people switch from winter to summer tires in the Spring. If they launch in May, they are missing the boat.

Regarding PS2 dry perfomance being competitive - I take those tire rack surveys with a pinch of salt. A lot of them are filled out by people who only drive Michelin or Bridgestone (like me). When I filled out the survey and gave them a very high score, I hadn't tried anything better.

These guys on the other hand seem more objective:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 02-20-11, 03:25 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by *Batman*

Regarding PS2 dry perfomance being competitive - I take those tire rack surveys with a pinch of salt. A lot of them are filled out by people who only drive Michelin or Bridgestone (like me). When I filled out the survey and gave them a very high score, I hadn't tried anything better.

These guys on the other hand seem more objective:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
I'll take 26-million survey miles over any one-time test by a magazine any day, especially when the Michelins are significantly more expensive than the competition. Plus, I wouldn't be so quick to apply your personal experience to everyone else's. Regardless, the PS2 is about to be replaced and that is good news for any car guy looking for the best of the best.
Old 03-11-11, 02:00 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We will be testing these along with the new BS S-04 Pole Position and a few others as soon as we can. We are getting most sizes of both of these in middle to late April.
Old 03-14-11, 02:13 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just been told that I am getting a set of these to try on my personal car (2010 Evo MR-T 245/40 18) and will report back to you guys as soon as I have an opinion. Michelin is good about letting us try stuff out.
Old 03-16-11, 04:22 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brandon@TR
We will be testing these along with the new BS S-04 Pole Position and a few others as soon as we can. We are getting most sizes of both of these in middle to late April.
Originally Posted by Brandon@TR
I have just been told that I am getting a set of these to try on my personal car (2010 Evo MR-T 245/40 18) and will report back to you guys as soon as I have an opinion. Michelin is good about letting us try stuff out.
Brandon,

Good news on both accounts. I sure hope Michelin accelarates the delivery of these tires. I'm getting new wheels for my IS-F, which require wider 19-inch tires, and I do not want to install PS2s, only to have the Pilot Supersport released after I've done the dirty deed. Right now, it looks like my wheels will be ready about the same time Michelin is saying deliveries will start. Hopefully, I get lucky, but usually I'm not....

Eagerly awaiting your report on testing these tires on your personal vehicle. Appreciate the updates.
Old 03-16-11, 05:16 PM
mikefit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these will undoubtedly both be amazing tires!
Old 03-23-11, 10:03 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on tire rack, the super sports are actually priced cheaper than the ps2's!

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and SuperSport