ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/wheels-tires-and-brakes-forum-76/)
-   -   Say It Ain't So! BBS Files for Bankruptcy (Again). (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/wheels-tires-and-brakes-forum/544931-say-it-aint-so-bbs-files-for-bankruptcy-again.html)

LexFather 01-04-11 11:08 AM

Say It Ain't So! BBS Files for Bankruptcy (Again).

KNOCK-OFFS SUCK!!! Though they have problems other than just knock-off BBS wheels being sold.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/entry.p...cy-%28Again%29.

BBS is a staple. An icon. If you're into European cars and you're not aware of BBS wheels then you're not really into European cars. The German wheel manufacturer may not be the cheapest but it has represented high quality performance wheels for decades often with its signature mesh-style designs most iconically represented by the classic RS 2 (shown above). Alas though, it seems BBS could be one for the history books.

The Frankfurt Allgemeine's FAZ.net website is reporting this morning that the German wheel manufacturer filed for bankruptcy on December 30. Interestingly, this came as a surprise to employees and also apparently for corporate partner IG Metall whose CEO told FAZ just before Christmas that he planned a multi-million dollar investment in the firm.

Also potentially on hold apparently is the move to sell BBS' Herbolzheim factory employing 150 workers to Ronal AG, a move that was announced just last Thursday.

As you may recall, BBS filed for bankruptcy four years ago and has struggled ever since. Still, it survived that tumultuous period and, with luck, this much respected brand will survive another.

Thanks Hans for the tip.

Full Story - FAZ.net (English translation by Google)

Full Story - FAZ.net (German) (

rominl 01-04-11 12:13 PM

really? ouch, this hurts man....

i wonder if those vendors selling bbs knock offs will go out of business soon coz' now they will have nothing else to knock anymore :rolleyes: (sarcasm included)

flipside909 01-04-11 12:26 PM

Yeah when you have companies making knock offs of the original, this is what happens. :rolleyes:

javyLSU 01-04-11 05:24 PM

Long live real, authentic BBS!

Javier

Jetfire 01-04-11 11:30 PM

would suck to lose BBS.

RawkusX187 01-06-11 04:44 PM

They need to keep making bbs for brand new manufactured sports cars

metalgear 01-07-11 09:32 AM

I just hope the prices on their wheels won't skyrocket from this. I've always wanted to get the LM's.

votru 01-07-11 10:00 AM

BBS is nice but pricey and aim toward European mainly while other high end wheel company offer so much more. On top of that, knock-off and not many people willing to spend so much beside hardcore so sad to see it go.

SChema 01-07-11 10:38 AM

They'll probably be absorbed by another company in a similar fashion as SSR by Tanabe.

RawkusX187 01-07-11 12:17 PM

I'm sure some other company might buy them out!

CP_Ree 01-29-11 07:59 AM

Meh, they made nice stuff, but way overpriced. Not sad, lawl.

GSteg 01-29-11 10:31 AM

I don't think they're overpriced at all. Ppeople are too used to paying a lot less for wheels nowadays that it makes BBS look expensive. What we get versus what we paid doesn't follow a linear function. Paying twice as much doesn't get us twice the wheels. You can grab a set of BC Racing coilovers for $1000 and a set of KW for $2000. When it comes down to it, both sets will do what most people want, except the KW is a bit extra special when it comes to the finer details and you pay dearly for it. It's the same with wheels. A set of $1000 aftermarket wheels will still roll just like a $4000 BBS set, but when you buy BBS, you know you're buying quality and engineering.

Sadly BBS has become a niche brand of wheels because not too many people are willing to pay for quality anymore. Cheap, Reliable, Performance. You can only pick 2 out of the 3 :sad:

SChema 01-30-11 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by GSteg (Post 6103906)
Cheap, Reliable, Performance. You can only pick 2 out of the 3 :sad:

Well put.

I try to pick "Reliable" and "Performance" out of the three whenever I can. That's my reasoning for my SC being a "Long-Term Project".

rominl 01-31-11 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by CP_Ree (Post 6103601)
Meh, they made nice stuff, but way overpriced. Not sad, lawl.

it's overpriced when you can't afford it :p

me: ferrari are so overpriced :D

plex 01-31-11 10:42 AM

Sad to see BBS filing but hopefully they get absorbed by another company and continue to make great wheels.

In regards to knock off, I won't blame the companies. Consumers drive demand and the companies just supplied, we live in a consumer based economy and substitute goods will always have a place.