Say It Ain't So! BBS Files for Bankruptcy (Again). - Page 3 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

The Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Say It Ain't So! BBS Files for Bankruptcy (Again).

Reply

 
 
 
Old 02-04-11, 04:26 PM
  #31  
magneti
Pole Position
 
magneti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA
Posts: 398
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by IS-SV View Post
Sadly the business needs to be better managed.
clearly. you dont blame competitors for putting you out of business. you blame higher ups for not adjusting which is what they get paid to do.

if that involves lowering prices and finding more innovative designers so be it.

the sentimental side people have for bbs shouldnt come into play. its strictly business. and they're failing due inability to adapt.
magneti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 10:59 AM
  #32  
Coco-bun
Moderator
iTrader: (6)
 
Coco-bun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: US
Posts: 6,570
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
KNOCK-OFFS SUCK!!! Though they have problems other than just knock-off BBS wheels being sold.
yet, ClubLexus is supporting the sales of knockoffs...why? It's even got a centercap that says BBS

Originally Posted by b2designs View Post
Hello Guys,

These are in stock ready to ship:

BBS LM Reps
Hyper black finish:
19 8.5 F and 19 9.5 R
offsets 15 F and 15 R
offsets 35 F and 45 R
Accepts TPMS sensors.
No bbk clearence.

$885.00 Shipped:



Comes with valve stems and center caps.

You can order direct from our website:
http://www.b2autodesigns.com/product...oducts_id=3896

Please pm me or call 813-787-4075 for pricing or questions.

Thanks
Charles


https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...t-pricing.html

And how much sales do aftermarket make up for BBS? Aftermarket probably has higher margin but I would think that they may have filed for bankruptcy because of their decrease in OEM sales due to the overall economic conditions (and decrease in auto sales)? As much as I hate knock offs, I guess BBS has reached that status everyone wants to achieve...

I'm actually not one of those '**** all fake ****' type person. Assuming royalties are paid, art work are replicated in posters so that a non-high net worth individual like myself can appreciate art as well. I like architecture, specifically Frank Lloyd Wright. So I have a few things like a business card holder, coffee mug, etc with replicated/inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright design on them (but I think proper dues go to his foundation since I buy them when I go see his work or at the moma store....).

In the same way, I really think it's great that people appreciate the engineering that goes into die-forged wheels and the timeless design so I wouldn't mind having a replica as a coffee table and tell my friends it's a knockoff (assuming proper royalties are paid to BBS and/or Washimeyer...however you spell that). But a coffee table doesn't require the tolerance a road wheels face...being spun at high speed, hitting pot holes, constant random application of heat and snow...I'm sure that requires extensive R&D.

If people are selling cheaply made imitation so they can make a profit by mooching off the creators reputation they built putting who knows how many long hours and dedication, I seriously question that.

just my 2 cents.

PS: admin/mods, if you want to delete that top part about the vendor, I'll understand. but please my second part...

Last edited by Coco-bun; 02-06-11 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added a post script.
Coco-bun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 02:38 PM
  #33  
jmkiang
Calf Implant Beta Tester
iTrader: (1)
 
jmkiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 1,173
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

^ Haha win! So true though!
jmkiang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 02:39 PM
  #34  
jmkiang
Calf Implant Beta Tester
iTrader: (1)
 
jmkiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 1,173
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CP_Ree View Post
Meh, they made nice stuff, but way overpriced. Not sad, lawl.
Haha says the guy with Rotas. They aren't much more expensive than Work, Volk, Weds etc.
jmkiang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 12:22 AM
  #35  
rominl
exclusive matchup
iTrader: (4)
 
rominl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lovely OC
Posts: 81,224
Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Coco-bun View Post
yet, ClubLexus is supporting the sales of knockoffs...why? It's even got a centercap that says BBS





https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...t-pricing.html

And how much sales do aftermarket make up for BBS? Aftermarket probably has higher margin but I would think that they may have filed for bankruptcy because of their decrease in OEM sales due to the overall economic conditions (and decrease in auto sales)? As much as I hate knock offs, I guess BBS has reached that status everyone wants to achieve...

I'm actually not one of those '**** all fake ****' type person. Assuming royalties are paid, art work are replicated in posters so that a non-high net worth individual like myself can appreciate art as well. I like architecture, specifically Frank Lloyd Wright. So I have a few things like a business card holder, coffee mug, etc with replicated/inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright design on them (but I think proper dues go to his foundation since I buy them when I go see his work or at the moma store....).

In the same way, I really think it's great that people appreciate the engineering that goes into die-forged wheels and the timeless design so I wouldn't mind having a replica as a coffee table and tell my friends it's a knockoff (assuming proper royalties are paid to BBS and/or Washimeyer...however you spell that). But a coffee table doesn't require the tolerance a road wheels face...being spun at high speed, hitting pot holes, constant random application of heat and snow...I'm sure that requires extensive R&D.

If people are selling cheaply made imitation so they can make a profit by mooching off the creators reputation they built putting who knows how many long hours and dedication, I seriously question that.

just my 2 cents.

PS: admin/mods, if you want to delete that top part about the vendor, I'll understand. but please my second part...
i don't see anything wrong with what you said, you simply stated your points constructively.

oh well, read my avatar and sig
rominl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 10:45 PM
  #36  
Stormforge
executive matchup
 
Stormforge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BC
Posts: 5,765
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by GSteg View Post
Works has plenty more ugly wheels than BBS does anyways.
that's subjective i suppose, but at least there is more choice with Work wheels than with BBS. if 1 in 10 wheel design becomes a hit, at least you will make money on that design (just like BBS with their LM). i can name a couple of Work wheels that are popular among modders: Work Schert SC1, Work Varianza T1S, Work LS 105, Work Equip, just to name a few.
Stormforge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 08:34 PM
  #37  
LexFather
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Without BBS financials we cannot determine the exact cause for this 2nd bankruptcy but surely knock-offs don't help.

A few of us brought up the fact CL is now allowing vendors that sell clear knock-offs here but it is a business and we are volunteers and well we don't own the business. Looking around there are CL members that proudly buy knock-offs knowing they are knock-offs so the business case is there from all sides.

I bought knock-offs before but had no idea they were and never bought knock-offs again. The quality in my experience was far substandard and I hated knowing I had "fakes". I ended up replacing 2 wheels for bends and could have easily bought more expensive wheels in the long run.

I am a happy BBS wheel owner and they are by far the best wheel I have owned. I also have some Ronal made wheels waiting for installation so if they buy BBS I would be happy. Ronal is a very reputable brand.

BBS is proven, period and they are costly. Some people ask why the designs are staid. Well BBS wheels are designed with function in mind, then form. Too many wheels have style in mind, then function/strength afterward. BBS is proven on the track for DECADES and that means a lot to me. I will never forget my conversation with the BBS rep at Lexfest years ago, he SOLD me on the product. The N.A plant is in north Atlanta by Road Atlanta.

Now that I am older safety is an issue and I want to know I and my wife are riding in quality wheels and quality tires. In this sue happy world, I don't want to be liable using crappy wheels, tires.

I don't buy a knock-off car in a Lexus, why would I skimp out on wheels? Its an oxymoron to me. Now I am not knocking anyone's choice, its your money, your life, your ethics.

Not for me.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 08:57 PM
  #38  
magneti
Pole Position
 
magneti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA
Posts: 398
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

nothing to do with ethics. its like a choice in any other product. if you choose to get generic milk over brand name its your choice. maybe the brand name is more nutritious, maybe it isnt.

some peoples needs in a wheel are basically for looks as long as it holds up in everyday driving.

some may prefer a better quality bbs wheel.

either way, its a consumers choice and if the lesser brand starts failing they go out of business. if its comparable for the consumers needs, it prospers because it costs less.


the market decides what is best and the rest is weeded out. how it works in every free market.
magneti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 10:22 PM
  #39  
Stormforge
executive matchup
 
Stormforge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BC
Posts: 5,765
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by magneti View Post
nothing to do with ethics. its like a choice in any other product.
that's not entirely true. ethics plays a large part of what a person believes, it guides his moral character (so to speak). stealing is wrong but lots of people steal. does that make it right?

ok, not exactly a good comparison, we are talking about wheels here. but if a person's ethics tell him that buying knock offs is wrong (ie: his belief in what is right and what is wrong), then that is a decision guided by ethical choice.

yes i understand what you are saying about market dictates what is best and the rest is weeded out. i understand how free market works and i agree with you up to a point.

true, there is a "herd" mentality where people don't care if they buy knock-offs or not. but some do care. and for those of us who choose to buy real brand name, it is dictated by quality, ethics, and branding.

all i'm saying is you can't just whitewash and say ethics don't have any part in one's decision about purchasing a product; because for some people, ethics plays a large part in who they are as a person.
Stormforge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 10:38 PM
  #40  
magneti
Pole Position
 
magneti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA
Posts: 398
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stormforge View Post

true, there is a "herd" mentality where people don't care if they buy knock-offs or not. but some do care. and for those of us who choose to buy real brand name, it is dictated by quality, ethics, and branding.

all i'm saying is you can't just whitewash and say ethics don't have any part in one's decision about purchasing a product; because for some people, ethics plays a large part in who they are as a person.
sure but ethics are so relative especially when trying to apply to a corporation which is ironic in itself. morals and corporations dont go hand in hand but i digress.

if you wanted to apply ethics to the very standard of every product as well as wheels, you probably wouldnt consume any food due to animal cruelty during processing.

or buy anything at walmart due to child labor laws.

or the leather seats on the very car that you apply ethics for its wheels. what about the outsourced labor that costs millions of americans jobs for that same car. some apply ethics to that as well.

i mean its such a personal decision its almost impossible to judge your own much less someone elses. especially when it can be applied to whatever one chooses.

choosing one product over another is not stealing. its not unethical. its choosing price over quality or the best combination of the two. or if money is no object then quality only.

99% of the market is not dictated by the latter however. most choose based on price/quality/use. not very surprising in forums like these when the average cost of the car in question is about 5k. its safe to assume many dont see getting wheels worth more than their car which is the real issue here.

its impractical and unrealistic in most cases.

if the knockoffs start failing and the only other choice beyond stock is bbs, people will be riding on stock. and thats the true reason companies that fall in between exist.

people driving $5k cars need a non-stock wheel for less than the price of their car. bbs should have adapted to that market or go under which they have.
magneti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 12:00 AM
  #41  
ClearP
Lead Lap
 
ClearP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 680
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by magneti View Post
sure but ethics are so relative especially when trying to apply to a corporation which is ironic in itself. morals and corporations dont go hand in hand but i digress.

if you wanted to apply ethics to the very standard of every product as well as wheels, you probably wouldnt consume any food due to animal cruelty during processing.

or buy anything at walmart due to child labor laws.

or the leather seats on the very car that you apply ethics for its wheels. what about the outsourced labor that costs millions of americans jobs for that same car. some apply ethics to that as well.

i mean its such a personal decision its almost impossible to judge your own much less someone elses. especially when it can be applied to whatever one chooses.

choosing one product over another is not stealing. its not unethical. its choosing price over quality or the best combination of the two. or if money is no object then quality only.

99% of the market is not dictated by the latter however. most choose based on price/quality/use. not very surprising in forums like these when the average cost of the car in question is about 5k. its safe to assume many dont see getting wheels worth more than their car which is the real issue here.

its impractical and unrealistic in most cases.

if the knockoffs start failing and the only other choice beyond stock is bbs, people will be riding on stock. and thats the true reason companies that fall in between exist.

people driving $5k cars need a non-stock wheel for less than the price of their car. bbs should have adapted to that market or go under which they have.
Although you make some good points, but blaming BBS for not making cheap wheels to "adapt" to the market does not make any sense.

BBS can very well copy other companies product, not spend any money on product design and product development and sell cheap wheels branding their name, but what good is that? When will people realize that if you support fakes, very soon the company that creates these designs will no longer be in existence? Which mean no new products? No new products means no new copies, which equals less choices for you?

It's funny to see people who demands great designs at a cheap price... obviously simple economics and business logic does not apply to these people. To put your logic on a greater scale, this is the reason why China is getting richer and richer while inventors in the US are closing down factories. To apply your logic, maybe we should start adapting too.

My conclusion to this is these people will find excuses as to why they went with fakes, why it's ok and why it's no big deal. Sometimes they dont mind throwing some punches at the ones who designed these very product that they love, and the people that bought authentic. Until karma turns the table, they feel as if these companies are the ones to blame.
ClearP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 01:40 AM
  #42  
Coco-bun
Moderator
iTrader: (6)
 
Coco-bun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: US
Posts: 6,570
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by magneti View Post
nothing to do with ethics. its like a choice in any other product. if you choose to get generic milk over brand name its your choice. maybe the brand name is more nutritious, maybe it isnt.

some peoples needs in a wheel are basically for looks as long as it holds up in everyday driving.

some may prefer a better quality bbs wheel.

either way, its a consumers choice and if the lesser brand starts failing they go out of business. if its comparable for the consumers needs, it prospers because it costs less.


the market decides what is best and the rest is weeded out. how it works in every free market.
Not sure about generic milk, but generic medication has fairly strict guidelines that requires them to be almost identical (bio-equivalence...i think was the term) from the brand name one. so even if you do buy generic medicine, at least one will have qualities similar, if not exact, to the original.
With wheels...? I don't think such standard applies. JWL is a joke. The standard itself might be pretty strict (well...strict when it was initially released in the 80s or 70s from what I heard) but it's self declared so you just have to say (without any external audit) that they are JDM...im sorry, JWL. VIAs a bit better since external audit is required....but apparently some knockoffs even imitate the VIA logo and now VIA issues a sticker.

and yes, the market does decide in a free-market. but you do realize a pure free market has never existed right? (from little of what I remember from school....) I think what you meant was Laissez-faire which kinda is like the real world. back to your point about generic milk; I bet that has some FDA regulation and government intervention...which means we're not in a free market.

I personally appreciate the quality of BBS. I used to work at a car shop in Tokyo during my undergrad. I mounted tires when I first started and my boss was a BBS fanatic. Reason being? Die-forged BBS usually requires very minimal balancing. Which means their shape hold even when they are driven for miles and miles. Whereas some cheap wheels would take me a few tries trying to balance them, even if they're brand new.

as you said, caveat emptor. but if the support for reverse engineered cheaply built stuff doesn't go away, there will be less incentive to make anything... which would suck.

Last edited by Coco-bun; 02-09-11 at 01:55 AM.
Coco-bun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 01:43 AM
  #43  
Coco-bun
Moderator
iTrader: (6)
 
Coco-bun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: US
Posts: 6,570
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by magneti View Post
people driving $5k cars need a non-stock wheel for less than the price of their car. bbs should have adapted to that market or go under which they have.
and I'm sure BBS didn't market their die-forged wheels to people who can only afford 5k cars. it's the buyers who are wanting them and putting them on their 5k cars regardless of what BBS has planned.

BBS should have adapted? have you heard of ASA?
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/asa/asa_info.jsp
Coco-bun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 01:54 AM
  #44  
Coco-bun
Moderator
iTrader: (6)
 
Coco-bun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: US
Posts: 6,570
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Seriously. ****ty, no name parts are like an ugly girlfriend. You don't wanna be seen in public with her, so you never bring her out. All of your friends have ugly girlfriends. Afterall, birds of a feather flock together. When someone questions you on why you have an ugly girlfriend, you go into this tirade explaining that she's smart, knows how to ****, cooks for you, etc. But you know what? Your girlfriend is still ugly and no one gives a **** whether she's smart, a ***** in bed or is the modern equivalent of Julia Child.

Buying cheap parts for a car is like having an ugly girlfriend. You have to explain / rationalize your decision to bed that ugly ***** - you have to explain that you saved a bunch of money by buying this "great" substitute for the real deal... and that it performs just as good as the real deal. Uh huh.
http://datruthcometh.blogspot.com/20...irlfriend.html
Coco-bun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 02:01 AM
  #45  
Coco-bun
Moderator
iTrader: (6)
 
Coco-bun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: US
Posts: 6,570
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rominl View Post
i don't see anything wrong with what you said, you simply stated your points constructively.

oh well, read my avatar and sig
- Do it once and do it right. Do your homework to get it right.
- If you can't afford it, drive the car stock.
- promoting knock-offs is shameful on a car enthusiast site, not to mention companies who make/sell knock-offs.
- it's authentic if it roots from the original company
^
Coco-bun is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Say It Ain't So! BBS Files for Bankruptcy (Again).


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: