Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Anyone Familiar with the Powder Coating Process on Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 08:27 PM
maficrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Familiar with the Powder Coating Process on Wheels

I was curious if anyone out there is familiar with the powder coating process on wheels. I have a 2006 GS430 with stock aluminum wheels and was in a shop this week where I noticed they were powder coating wheels. It looked darn cool in the fact that they can coat the wheels virtually any color for you (although I really like chrome finish). I asked the owner of the shop what the cost would be for my wheels and he stated about $375. This cost is much less expensive than the chrome wheel exchange that I have seen advertised. The problem is having the tires removed from the wheels (would have to take to a tire store) and then trying to find out where you can leave the car without tires/wheels for a week during the powder coat process. Thanks much!
Old 09-05-10, 04:02 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

what do you want to know?

the process is quite reliable, however, although you may have them powder coated in a chrome finish, its not real chrome and you can tell the difference...

powder coated chrome is not as smooth as real chroming, and its also not quite as shiny... that being said, its about 1/3 the cost of having your own wheels chromed...

the process is quite simple - the wheels are stripped to bare metal, then an electric charge is introduced to the wheel - the spray gun used to apply the material adds an opposite electric charge to the powder as it leaves the gun - this makes the powder stick to the wheel... After the whole thing is coated, it is put in an oven to bake at a certain temperature for a certain amount of time - when done, you have a tough, relatively chip resistant finish...
Old 09-05-10, 07:42 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

good info Cody, is it possible for an eneven coating of a wheel? ie, one side has a more powder than the other.
Old 09-05-10, 08:05 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
good info Cody, is it possible for an eneven coating of a wheel? ie, one side has a more powder than the other.
although it is possible, its not likely... the thicker the powder gets, the less it wants to stick due to the charged area being covered up - more of it falls off the part or wheel instead of sticking... other than that, its like paint - spray way too much and it gets wayyy too thick... anyone that can spray paint somewhat evenly can (should be able to) powder coat just fine...
Old 09-06-10, 12:34 AM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are in Socal, I know of a shop the specializes in Powder Coating. That is actually all they do. It's more of a warehouse then a shop. They have done 7 sets of wheels for me, and the quality is top notch. Just google "reliable powder coating 90242". Anyone that is interested be sure to tell him Mike from Club Lexus sent you and he'll hook you up. If you want me to call him for you or meet you there(its down the street from my house) PM me.

Also, don't quote me, but his price's are way better then your shop.
Old 09-07-10, 08:49 PM
maficrock
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. You answered my question.

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
what do you want to know?

the process is quite reliable, however, although you may have them powder coated in a chrome finish, its not real chrome and you can tell the difference...

powder coated chrome is not as smooth as real chroming, and its also not quite as shiny... that being said, its about 1/3 the cost of having your own wheels chromed...

the process is quite simple - the wheels are stripped to bare metal, then an electric charge is introduced to the wheel - the spray gun used to apply the material adds an opposite electric charge to the powder as it leaves the gun - this makes the powder stick to the wheel... After the whole thing is coated, it is put in an oven to bake at a certain temperature for a certain amount of time - when done, you have a tough, relatively chip resistant finish...
Old 09-07-10, 08:51 PM
maficrock
Driver School Candidate

You must like the finish product if you have had 7 sets done...I'm located east of Sacramento so not close to LA. Thanks for letting me know about the shop you use. Curious if you have had any of the wheels chromed or not?

Originally Posted by MiiK350
If you are in Socal, I know of a shop the specializes in Powder Coating. That is actually all they do. It's more of a warehouse then a shop. They have done 7 sets of wheels for me, and the quality is top notch. Just google "reliable powder coating 90242". Anyone that is interested be sure to tell him Mike from Club Lexus sent you and he'll hook you up. If you want me to call him for you or meet you there(its down the street from my house) PM me.

Also, don't quote me, but his price's are way better then your shop.