Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Why go with "DWS" Continental tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 09:12 PM
CCash350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why go with "DWS" Continental tires?

It's time for tires. With an alignment, I'd like to stay under a grand.

Based on:
1.) the price
2.) the description of the performance
3.) the reviews

the ContiExtremeContact DWS 245/40/18 sound exactly like what I want -- that is -- if I can ever find a set.

Does anybody know what's so special about the "DWS" (Dry/Wet/Snow) though? I live in CA, so I don't need a snow tire, but a lot of Californians are buying and recommending this tire.

It seems like the DW or ContiProContact would be a better choice, but it's always the DWS that gets the high marks. Is it the durability, or something else? I know the tread pattern is unique.
Old 07-29-10, 09:28 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CCash350
It's time for tires. With an alignment, I'd like to stay under a grand.

Based on:
1.) the price
2.) the description of the performance
3.) the reviews

the ContiExtremeContact DWS 245/40/18 sound exactly like what I want -- that is -- if I can ever find a set.

Does anybody know what's so special about the "DWS" (Dry/Wet/Snow) though? I live in CA, so I don't need a snow tire, but a lot of Californians are buying and recommending this tire.

It seems like the DW or ContiProContact would be a better choice, but it's always the DWS that gets the high marks. Is it the durability, or something else? I know the tread pattern is unique.
There is a $70 Michelin rebate going on. You could get a set of PS2 for under a grand with rebate. The Michelin PS2 is the best summer tire. People buying the Conti are only doing so because it is the best of the budget tires. But I would suggest you get the PS2 - it's the best tire. There is a reason it is OEM for Porsche, Bugatti, Aston Martin, BMW M, Corvette ZR1, Audi A6, Mercedes AMG, and Bentley.
Old 07-29-10, 10:25 PM
apex47
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been waiting for these tires as well and emailed the company directly. According to last week, they should be in any time now. This is their reply below:

Response (Lynn) 07/21/2010 02:49 PM

[Web Inquiry: 100721-000001]

Thank you for your interest in the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Unfortunately, demand has exceeded our expectation. The 245/40ZR18 ExtremeContact DWS tires are currently backordered. The tires are being manufactured, and the estimated arrive of tires into our distribution centers will be the last of July, 2010.

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations at Continental Tire the Americas, LLC>
Old 07-29-10, 11:06 PM
CCash350
Driver School Candidate

Thank you both.

I am considering the Michelin PS2s for sure. I'm just a little uneasy about the wear. I drivce 18k a year. I'd like to get two years out of them at least, you know?

And after a little more research I think I see why the DWS: I believe it's about bang for the buck. A 50k treadwear warranty and $400 less than the PS2s. Not as good a performer in tests of course, but not bad either for something that is cheaper and will last longer.

Otherwise, I can't figure out why someone in southern California would buy the DWS instead of the DW.
Old 07-30-10, 12:52 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

its also non directional so you can rotate it side to side to get even wear and to prevent tire cupping.
Old 07-30-10, 09:01 PM
ZinikLex21
Rookie

Overall, it's a great tire. You can't beat the price and treadwear warranty. If handling isn't your highest priority then you won't find a better tire as it excels in every other category.
Old 08-09-10, 10:43 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

I just purchased these tires, and I can personally atest that the reviews on this tire are correct. Very smooth, very quiet and great handling wet and dry. I have the stock 17" wheels on my GS350. $660 which included shipping and mounting. Purchased from TireRack.
Old 08-09-10, 09:28 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

i have them too and they are great in the snow and summer traction
Old 08-10-10, 05:43 PM
CCash350
Driver School Candidate

MadDawg, if you bought them recently, I don't know how you found them... I had been checking TireRack for months now. That's a great price too.

Somehow Treadepot.com dug a set up for me last Friday (makes me wonder how). Should be here this week. Shipping across the country was expensive at $100, but $530 for the tires was a great deal. Add another $100 for mounting.

Most of the bad reviews I've read about these tires were not by Lexus owners. The Lexus owners, and especially GS owners, like them a lot. Must be a good match for the car. I'm anxious to find out myself, and a little worried after reading about some 5,000-mile noise issues. This tire has not been time-tested.

They've GOT to be quieter than my roaring Yokohama Advan A10s!
Old 08-10-10, 06:01 PM
CCash350
Driver School Candidate

Ah, maybe because you have 17s, not 18s.
Old 08-19-10, 02:01 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if you are in an area where you don't need all season tires, you may still want them. If you want the longer tread life and better ride quality, generally you find that in a/s as opposed to summer tires.
Old 08-22-10, 10:31 PM
CCash350
Driver School Candidate

That makes sense Brandon.

So I've had the new DWS for almost a week, and I'm very, very happy with them. Really night and day.

Just to put it in perspective though, my wife probably wouldn't notice it if I didn't tell her. But to someone who drives the car every day, the difference is huge. My previous tires were stock Yokohama Advan A10s, and to be fair they had over 30k on them.

The ride is now cushy and smooth. I don't feel every bump, and it's much more of a "luxury" ride.
The noise level is MUCH better -- completely acceptable now.
No more tramlining (pulling left or right -- following the crown or grooves in the road).
Performance-wise they're fine. I don't corner at 100 mph, but I do sense a slight "vagueness" with straight-ahead steering. No big deal.

If they stay like this I'll be stoked.